Confessions From a Failed FIRE

I have been retired for 5 years but I have been doing unpaid volunteer work at my City's Recreational Center for about 2 to 4 hours a week. My motivation is to play basketball, workout on their treadmills and their ellipticals at the Recreational Center. My wife is 20 years younger than me and she owns a business so my volunteer work avoids being isolated at home by myself. Do what makes you happy.

I went back part time in August. My schedule, my rate, my terms. FI means options.

Anyone who calls you crazy is upset with their own situation. Have a blast!

I'm all in favor of doing what you want to do.

For me that does not include working for anyone but myself.

And my boat, the dogs, the wife and the house - :)

For me the key has always been the FI part over the RE part. Once you get to the FI part the choices are yours. I have always enjoyed my work and (for the most part) the people I worked with. I just want the freedom.

You have the freedom and have chosen to work at a job that you enjoy. You're not crazy at all. But more importantly, why would you care what anyone thinks. Enjoy the life you have made for yourself!

It sounds to me that the OP is sitting in the catbird seat. He likes the job, likes his co-workers, pay is good, doesn't need the money, and he can walk anytime he wants. Don't most people wish for that kind of situation during their work life?

Cheers!

I understand completely. After RE in 2019, I've been doing 1099 consulting for about a year now on my terms. The people are pleasant and appreciative, the pay is outstanding and the work is only technical (no management) which I enjoy. At any point I can just walk away, and this delays digging into the nest egg for toys and living expenses. Also doesn't hurt to continue adding to the HSA and after tax savings, although not at all necessary.

Last edited:
Nope. No way I will ever work again. Some people want me to become a state rep here and though there is essentially no pay ($200 for the year), the reason I won't do it is because I waited all my life to have autonomy each day and no way will I give that up now that I have it.
At one time, the local party wanted me to run for the board of education in my town. I told them that the only thing worse than losing that election would be winning it.

Great post, i told myself I’d try it for a year. It’s been 3 months and I’m starting to get the itch. I’m thinking about just something at Lowe’s. But I don’t think qualify, I haven’t been in retail for over 35 years ��

Just went to Lowes yesterday. I don't think it's so much about "retail" experience as it is about knowing about the products being handled. If you have a "gift" of fielding questions about products or of educating your customers, you should be an excellent empl*yee! Liking people will also go a long way. Go for it, if it is your FIRE desire! We need knowledgeable/interested/capable retail folks to help us. Remember: Selling is helping! YMMV

Sounds like a nice setup! Could I ask what kind of work it is?
I've been with military aviation for 31 years. 23 as a Mech and Maint Officer and the last 8 (on and off) as a contractor working on various parts of military aviation. To keep the mind fresh, I started (on Monday) working on technical manuals and flight clearances. Stuff that is of interest to me anyway. DW turns 50 next month and would like to work a few more years. I will still get my putz around time as I will be working mostly from home. It solves one problem (keeping the mind fresh) and adds to the stash. Doesn't interfere with the normal non working things that I like to do (travel, sports officiating, putzing around the house). Heading to St Croix in 2 weeks. Gotta test out the new BC and regulator along with celebrating the Marine Corps birthday with a group of St Croix Marines.

I've been with military aviation for 31 years. 23 as a Mech and Maint Officer and the last 8 (on and off) as a contractor working on various parts of military aviation. To keep the mind fresh, I started (on Monday) working on technical manuals and flight clearances. Stuff that is of interest to me anyway. DW turns 50 next month and would like to work a few more years. I will still get my putz around time as I will be working mostly from home. It solves one problem (keeping the mind fresh) and adds to the stash. Doesn't interfere with the normal non working things that I like to do (travel, sports officiating, putzing around the house). Heading to St Croix in 2 weeks. Gotta test out the new BC and regulator along with celebrating the Marine Corps birthday with a group of St Croix Marines.

Heh, heh, you had me at "aviation." Enjoy!

I'm all in favor of doing what you want to do.

For me that does not include working for anyone but myself.

And my boat, the dogs, the wife and the house - :)

Our cats do seem to appreciate the new screened porch we seem to have built just for them.

Nah, not a failed retirement--you are doing what you want.
If you ran out of money and HAD to work, that is a different set of circumstances.

Enjoy each day!

...But making a difference? Hmmm. In my experience as a sub I was simply a glorified babysitter. There was a significant minority of students in most of my classes who were determined to give the sub teacher (me) a hard time, and class control negated any learning opportunities...

Yeah, I get that. In DW's case, she is only subbing as a paraprofessional in special education classes. The kids are nothing like the kids in regular classes. Still, some classes are quite challenging, both physically and emotionally. But it seems like nobody wants to do this work. She works a lot, mainly because the school district can't fill these para positions. The classes would go understaffed without people like her. And these kids need and appreciate all the help they can get.

So yeah, she feels like she's making a difference. But mainly, she just wants to feel like she "has a purpose." Unlike me, who can piddle around the workshop all day, happy as a pig in slop.

Sold my company. Well, we close 12:01AM Nov 1st. It's been a Hell of a ride, started the business in 1983 when I was 20. When I began to think about FIRE I was very apprehensive about staying busy and having some place to be. Asked a lot of friends who retired early what are you doing today, how are you staying busy, what's challenging you. During the whole due diligence process (which is brutal) I came to the realization that I really like what I do and really like the team I've assembled. The company that's acquiring us is a good fit and we agreed on a 3 year earn out. So, I could FIRE now, they're paying me eight figures but I'm happier staying on and helping usher my team and my customers into the next phase.

Sold my company. Well, we close 12:01AM Nov 1st. It's been a Hell of a ride, started the business in 1983 when I was 20. When I began to think about FIRE I was very apprehensive about staying busy and having some place to be. Asked a lot of friends who retired early what are you doing today, how are you staying busy, what's challenging you. During the whole due diligence process (which is brutal) I came to the realization that I really like what I do and really like the team I've assembled. The company that's acquiring us is a good fit and we agreed on a 3 year earn out. So, I could FIRE now, they're paying me eight figures but I'm happier staying on and helping usher my team and my customers into the next phase.

Congrats. That is a hell of a ride. At 20 years old I barely knew my right foot from my left let alone what I wanted to do in life.:LOL:

RE in June 2018 - came back to the same mega-corp as contractor in June 2020, it is 16 months and counting. I am about to either extending my contract or accepting an offer to become regular employee again.

Is it a fail RE? Probably not, work from home and flexible hours are the key.

At 28 years of ER - I know how to say NO! when the word 'volunteer' comes up.

AND putzing in the dirt is not! the same as farming - especially for one who came of age in the suburbs.

heh heh heh - :LOL: :D :facepalm: FI means there is no success or failure just putzing. :cool: ;)

I have been retired for 5 years but I have been doing unpaid volunteer work at my City's Recreational Center for about 2 to 4 hours a week. My motivation is to play basketball, workout on their treadmills and their ellipticals at the Recreational Center. My wife is 20 years younger than me and she owns a business so my volunteer work avoids being isolated at home by myself. Do what makes you happy.

I’m curious about how to handle my retirement because my wife is 13 years younger. I can see a path where retirement is a reality in about 5-7 years. I’m 47 now so that would put me in my early to mid 50s.

But my wife may or may not want to give up her career in her early 40s. I’m wondering if I will keep working not for financial reasons or OMY syndrome but because of an attitude of “well I might as well keep working until she’s ready to retire.”

We’ll cross that bridge when we get there. Maybe I can retire a little before my wife (say 18 months or less) and not feel bad about it. She may like my availability to do home responsibilities and handle appointments.

I guess my idealistic vision of retiring early involves my wife also retiring so we can travel and enjoy doing things together. I’ll have to reconcile that vision with the reality of our age difference creating slightly different mindsets regarding retirement timetables.

What I am trying to say is thanks for the comment. Any insight I can receive from other couples in a relationship with a larger difference in age is very helpful to me.

I’m curious about how to handle my retirement because my wife is 13 years younger. I can see a path where retirement is a reality in about 5-7 years. I’m 47 now so that would put me in my early to mid 50s.

But my wife may or may not want to give up her career in her early 40s. I’m wondering if I will keep working not for financial reasons or OMY syndrome but because of an attitude of “well I might as well keep working until she’s ready to retire.”

We’ll cross that bridge when we get there. Maybe I can retire a little before my wife (say 18 months or less) and not feel bad about it. She may like my availability to do home responsibilities and handle appointments.

I guess my idealistic vision of retiring early involves my wife also retiring so we can travel and enjoy doing things together. I’ll have to reconcile that vision with the reality of our age difference creating slightly different mindsets regarding retirement timetables.

What I am trying to say is thanks for the comment. Any insight I can receive from other couples in a relationship with a larger difference in age is very helpful to me.

My experience of my 20 years younger wife who is still working and I am retired: There is nothing wrong being a house husband cleaning the house, doing the laundry, yard work, so I can take the burden off my wife who is still working. My wife joked that she do not know how to use the washing machine and dryer. However, house husband work is not a full time job.

She owns a small business so I do the payroll, the book keeping, the business tax return and all administrative duties. However, this work is also not a full time job. This is why I do my unpaid volenteer work in my community and I have frequent lunches with my ex-coworkers who have not retired. I also exercise strenuously every morning for 90 minutes riding my bicycle up several hills. I am 70 but my performance age is close to my wife's biological age.

Luckily, she has a business partner so she can take time off. I would never let her open a small business without a partner because that means she will be working 60 to 80 hours a week.

If your wife has a 9 to 5 job with limited vacations, then I would have lunch with her near her workplace. This takes a little planning for your limited time together. There are times that I take some vacations alone such as fishing trips and trips to the beach. On my cuddy boat that I sleep on the water for 2 nights, I have the words: Heaven is I fish wife work. This arrangement makes her happy since she just wants me to keep busy in retirement. Warning: If you are not busy....your wife will find something for you to do.

Today I accepted an offer for a j*b I don't need.

I've been semi RE'd for the last 6 years and we are OK with health & wealth. The kids are launched, doing well and have their own lives (just spent 3 weeks visiting).

Bottom line, I like the company, j*b & people. They have good benefits and the pay is very fair, especially compared to my volunteer activities. Worst case is I give it 6 months. Best case is that the work life balance is good and at some point I downshift to PT. I'm honestly excited about the future.

I expect the most common comments will consider me crazy, but as Alan Watts might say true wealth not money, it is the opportunity to do what you please. Anyone else un-retire from w@rk by choice?

I 100% reject the idea that this is a "failure" in any way.
Isn't the entire goal of FIRE to have the freedom to do whatever you choose every day?

I personally did it so that if/when I chose to work again so that it would never mean working for someone else again... but to each their own. If the thing that you're most excited about is going back to work - then good for you!
Forget the labels - just live your best life!!

Back
Top Bottom