Confessions From a Failed FIRE

Today I accepted an offer for a j*b I don't need.

I've been semi RE'd for the last 6 years and we are OK with health & wealth. The kids are launched, doing well and have their own lives (just spent 3 weeks visiting).

Bottom line, I like the company, j*b & people. They have good benefits and the pay is very fair, especially compared to my volunteer activities. Worst case is I give it 6 months. Best case is that the work life balance is good and at some point I downshift to PT. I'm honestly excited about the future.

I expect the most common comments will consider me crazy, but as Alan Watts might say true wealth not money, it is the opportunity to do what you please. Anyone else un-retire from w@rk by choice?

I certainly wouldn't call you "crazy", since it sounds like this j*b has lots of positive elements, but I do have a question. What about your semi-RE'd lifestyle did you find lacking or unfulfilling, such that you felt working for an employer was the only (or best) solution?

Hey, if you enjoy going back, and it causes you no stress, no worries! Retirement is about having flexibility, even choosing to un-retire for a period.

I smilingly tell those recruiters who contact me with job opportunities that if someone offered me a job that required no more than 10 hours a week, no travel, with my primary responsibility being to review something and offer my opinion/advice, and paid at least $100/hr, I would consider working. So far, no takers. :LOL:

One of the beautiful things about retirement is that I can spend my time however I want to. If you want to spend some of your time working, then good for you.

It is fun to know that you can say "Take this job and shove it" anytime that you wish to.

I certainly wouldn't call you "crazy", since it sounds like this j*b has lots of positive elements, but I do have a question. What about your semi-RE'd lifestyle did you find lacking or unfulfilling, such that you felt working for an employer was the only (or best) solution?

Great question, thanks. As expected I've put a lot of thought into the decision. My "True North" priorities are health, family, learning & sharing. The last 6 years have been great for 3 of the 4, and I am most excited about the learning opportunities with this company.

I've been doing interesting self research and learning, but I really like to learn something new that has value to others, and that has been missing. I've been sharing great content for years (specifically I've taught the same no-cost class to veterans 46 times since 2013 plus lots of similar paid classes), most at an introductory level (many would not be ready for the advanced level).

One cool aspect of this position is they give me 3 months to learn & teach their advanced content in order to certify. That sounds like a scholarship to me (other positions just sounded like w@rk). They have already told me that I will probably be leading a workshop at a national convention (at a resort - on expenses). Yes, I can afford to go there and pay our way, but the stimulating challenge and purpose makes it even more enjoyable. Of course this is just me (YMMV) but my wife sees the fit for me as well (or she just wants me out of her hair).

Yeah, long haul truck driver. Free travel and get paid too!

For a very short time I did seriously consider doing that, envisioning peacefully driving along, listening to some favorite tunes on a deserted desert highway somewhere in Nevada or Oklahoma.

Then I envisioned trying to drive an 18-wheeler in NYC traffic....:hide:

For a very short time I did seriously consider doing that, envisioning peacefully driving along, listening to some favorite tunes on a deserted desert highway somewhere in Nevada or Oklahoma.

Then I envisioned trying to drive an 18-wheeler in NYC traffic....:hide:

DBIL was a long-haul trucker for a few years. Now imagine driving an 18-wheeler in NYC traffic in a snowstorm with a "swinging" load of meat (on hangers inside the container so they were de-stabilizing influence). :(

Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
The work space was so tight he had duct tape on his forearms so they didn't get scraped.

I've got hairy arms and I can't see wrapping them in duct tape as the removal would be painful I would imagine.

I've got hairy arms and I can't see wrapping them in duct tape as the removal would be painful I would imagine.

Good thing you aren't a woman .....:cool:

DW retired 3 years after me. That was 5 years ago. She never really found a rhythm in retirement, except for travel. With travel largely shutdown, she's been looking for a change.

She finally decided to go back to work. Not in her old engineering field, but as a substitute teacher. There is a huge shortage of people willing to substitute in our area. The pay is pretty terrible. Lots of stories of classrooms run by administrative staff.

So she decided to go for it. The pay is so bad... it's really more like volunteer work. But she's doing something that makes a difference and gives her a sense of purpose.

Substitute teaching is for those at the beginning and the ending of a career. DS restarts his substitute teaching tomorrow, in hopes of landing a FT music teaching job in the future. I hope she finds it fun. He did not, 5 years ago.

"and the pay is very fair, especially compared to my volunteer activities."

If I am reading you correctly, I was in a similar situation when I first retired. After volunteering for several organizations, I realized I was doing the same thing as folks who were getting paid. So, why not get paid and get a little extra money which I can use to support other activities? The funny thing was this ended up setting me on another path in life, one which I least expected, but am so glad I took. As you (and several posters) have already mentioned, FIRE is about allowing a person to follow whatever path they choose, not having to follow a path. Good luck in your journey!

When you have the financial freedom to choose how to spend your time, there's nothing wrong with being paid for your choice.

Maybe you'll be like my 73 YO DH who stills farms for "fun". Although after yesterday when they had to pull out two batteries and other assorted parts to swap out a leaking power steering hose on the big tractor he might have a different attitude.

The work space was so tight he had duct tape on his forearms so they didn't get scraped.

Heh, I have a cousin like that. 72yo, likes farming "for fun". Is it just to get out of the house for hours a day to have peace and quiet, while still having the ability to grab a coffee from the house within minutes? That's what i think, but we'll never know for sure.

I wouldn't call it "failed" - I'd call it successful. Doing what you like AND getting paid sounds less like w*rk and more like fun! YMMV and do keep us posted.

Congrats on flunking retirement. As long as you're happy - it's all good.
You don't fail FIRE by opting into working. You fail FIRE by HAVING to work.
+1. To me that’s all that matters. Anyone who criticizes your choices is out of line. It’s too late for me to go back to work, but in retrospect I retired earlier than I should have, even though we have more than enough.

Way to go OP.

Last edited:
Great post, i told myself I’d try it for a year. It’s been 3 months and I’m starting to get the itch. I’m thinking about just something at Lowe’s. But I don’t think qualify, I haven’t been in retail for over 35 years ��

Nope. No way I will ever work again. Some people want me to become a state rep here and though there is essentially no pay ($200 for the year), the reason I won't do it is because I waited all my life to have autonomy each day and no way will I give that up now that I have it.

A friend went back to work for a few years partially to not spend down his nest egg to fast when some stock options he planned on living on for the first part of his early retirement went to zero value. He found a job that sound like a lot of fun and he had the skills they needed but they knew they could not afford him. He didn't disagree with them but instead said he would work for the lower pay but wanted 12 weeks vacation plus paid health insurance. This gave him the freedom to still do all the things he wanted to do in retirement plus work in a new field that could use his expertise.

've been off since the end of June. I start a new gig next Monday. 6 figures. Work from home. Stuff I love. Actual work= a few hours per day.
Sounds like a nice setup! Could I ask what kind of work it is?

I've been doing a similar sort of j*b for quite a while, doing high-tech training. I used to travel once or twice a month to teach a week-long class, and one or two a month taught online (from my home office). Well for the last 2 yrs there hasn't been any traveling so it's all online. I enjoy this work and it pays very well. I originally intended to do it "full time" (as full-time as it got, which was about half-time) until about 65, then gradually wind down until I coasted into full retirement around 70. Well that's what's happening, but it's a bit ahead of schedule. I just turned 65 but my workload is about 1/3 what it was a few years ago. I'm not READY to stop yet, but I don't have control over it.

I could survive without the income, but I like having something challenging to keep me busy. I've been divorced for 10 years so no partner to play with. I had started doing some fun travel and socializing, but Covid but the kibosh on that. Especially since just before Covid hit I got a lymphoma diagnosis, and Covid is Very Bad News for people with blood cancers. So I'm a lot more isolated than I like, and I need something to keep me from going stir-crazy.

Since I can't get on a plane, I'm going to replace my 20-yr-old Saab with a new Tesla Model Y. Serious road trips and car-camping are in my future. I can do that even if it's still not safe to eat at restaurants.

Great question, thanks. As expected I've put a lot of thought into the decision. My "True North" priorities are health, family, learning & sharing. The last 6 years have been great for 3 of the 4, and I am most excited about the learning opportunities with this company.

I've been doing interesting self research and learning, but I really like to learn something new that has value to others, and that has been missing. I've been sharing great content for years (specifically I've taught the same no-cost class to veterans 46 times since 2013 plus lots of similar paid classes), most at an introductory level (many would not be ready for the advanced level).

One cool aspect of this position is they give me 3 months to learn & teach their advanced content in order to certify. That sounds like a scholarship to me (other positions just sounded like w@rk). They have already told me that I will probably be leading a workshop at a national convention (at a resort - on expenses). Yes, I can afford to go there and pay our way, but the stimulating challenge and purpose makes it even more enjoyable. Of course this is just me (YMMV) but my wife sees the fit for me as well (or she just wants me out of her hair).

Yeah, I'm bored too. Retired for the 2nd time late summer 2021 and am already itching to get back to something that I can sink my teeth into. Leading a workshop at a national convention sounds like a blast. Go for it!

DW retired 3 years after me. ...

She finally decided to go back to work. Not in her old engineering field, but as a substitute teacher. There is a huge shortage of people willing to substitute in our area. ....

So she decided to go for it. The pay is so bad... it's really more like volunteer work. But she's doing something that makes a difference and gives her a sense of purpose.

I did exactly the same thing after I retired. Did some substitute math teaching. Absolutely right about the pay being terrible . . . no one does subbing for the pay. But making a difference? Hmmm. In my experience as a sub I was simply a glorified babysitter. There was a significant minority of students in most of my classes who were determined to give the sub teacher (me) a hard time, and class control negated any learning opportunities. Now, on very rare occasions (twice, to be exact) I got to sub into a calculus class. What a joy! But there weren't enough opportunities to sub at an advanced level. So I quite subbing after one academic year. Luckily, as someone pointed out, I was subbing as an option, and not because I needed to!! I hope your DW has a different experience in the jurisdiction she is in.

Last edited:
I Fired in 2015, went back to work part-time in 2017 driving a tram bus in my 55+ community. Taking people shopping and to Doctors! Because we are based out of the main clubhouse, I am connected with all the decision-makers for the community. I know what is happening or not happening. And who I can go to for the needs of family and friends. I Love knowing and having so many connections. The wages are horrible, but don't care! I'm happy working 2 days a week. And if I need or want time off, I just tell them. No questions!! Wonderful semi-retirement!

Today I accepted an offer for a j*b I don't need.

I've been semi RE'd for the last 6 years and we are OK with health & wealth. The kids are launched, doing well and have their own lives (just spent 3 weeks visiting).

Bottom line, I like the company, j*b & people. They have good benefits and the pay is very fair, especially compared to my volunteer activities. Worst case is I give it 6 months. Best case is that the work life balance is good and at some point I downshift to PT. I'm honestly excited about the future.

I expect the most common comments will consider me crazy, but as Alan Watts might say true wealth not money, it is the opportunity to do what you please. Anyone else un-retire from w@rk by choice?

They'd have to pay me a LOT to go back, but I'm not you. You do you, and enjoy your life, as will I. Congratulations!

I know a guy that failed retiring three times. Didn't have to work just needed to be busy.

I say you haven’t failed. You are still FI, which is the most important part of FIRE. One might even argue that the job is a hobby job (would you, since it looks like you are excited about the job and the people?). There’s no way I’d call that failure.

Back
Top Bottom