Crashed after ER?

Sarah S

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi all
Did this happen to any of you?
Last day was Friday. Have been sleeping a ton! since then. 16 hours first 24 hours ( 12 hours plus 4 hour nap). 10 hours last night and the nap is calling again. I was not that sleep deprived. Assuming this is reaction to release from stress. How long does this last? I don't want to sleep away my ER but I am not going to set an alarm clock! And I really am happy this is not depression!
Thanks all

Nikki, this just shows how much your body and mind need to decompress. Enjoy the complete relaxation for a few days! Do set up some fun and healthy things to do, say, for the middle of next week. It could be as simple as a walk with friends. Try to get a routine going......but don't rush it, and keep it simple.

I did not feel like this immediately after ER but it did hit me a couple of weeks later and I spent a few days in my pajamas. It will pass.

You might want to check to make sure you aren't having blood sugar issues, my dad had something like that happen when he retired.. turns out he is diabetic...

Laters,
-d.

I was a little bit towards the other direction. I found that I no longer required my weekend naps after I retired.

Hi all
Did this happen to any of you?
Last day was Friday. Have been sleeping a ton! since then. 16 hours first 24 hours ( 12 hours plus 4 hour nap). 10 hours last night and the nap is calling again. I was not that sleep deprived. Assuming this is reaction to release from stress. How long does this last? I don't want to sleep away my ER but I am not going to set an alarm clock! And I really am happy this is not depression!
Thanks all

I slept a LOT when I first retired. I was just exhausted from all those years of working, I guess! Anyway, it did not last long. I began sleeping about 7.5 hours each night after I got over the initial sleep-fest, and still do. :D

I had a similar experience back in 2006 after we'd spent 7 months remodeling our house (totally gutted it, did most of the work ourselves). Months of 14-hour days, 7 days a week took their toll, and the first month after it was done we spent most of it in bed*. After that we recovered and started j*b hunting. :D I agree that it's likely just decompression. Enjoy it, naps are a pleasure too many people deny themselves.

*sleeping, you dirty birdies. ;)

Thanks all. Just took me a little by surprise I think. I was thinking I would be all inspired and get up at my usual weekend time and go to aerobics class and start clearing the decks at home. Well I slept right through class time and would rather sleep and read right now but I guess that is ok...
Thanks for the feedback and Meadbh have fun in Hawaii and get off the computer!
Best wishes
Nikki

I was "getting by" on an average of 6 to 7 hours of sleep each night before I retired (sometimes less and usually felt tired) but immediately after I retired I started sleeping an average of 8 to 9 hours each night. Amazing what a couple extra hours of sleep and near zero stress can do. I feel soooooo much better now.

I am semi retired and still napping on a regular basis! Why would you want to deprive yourself of that? Enjoy the sleep, you earned it :)

In my all-too-brief 6 month "practice retirement" I slept 14 hours a night for the first week of freedom, 11-12 hours a night for the first month, then slowly ended up at ~8 hours a night. It can take a while to decompress from the stress and burn-out.

Thanks again! Just got up from another nap but will have to pull it together by Wednesday as I am traveling. But I can sleep on the plane....

Good to hear I'm not alone in sleeping a lot, after my possible retirement. At work I was sleeping only a max of 6 hrs per day Mon thru Fri. I've been sleeping 10 to 11 hours per day sometimes. Never less than 8 now. And I get tired at 9 PM, and just go to bed. :) Unheard of.

John Galt III said:
Good to hear I'm not alone in sleeping a lot, after my possible retirement. At work I was sleeping only a max of 6 hrs per day Mon thru Fri. I've been sleeping 10 to 11 hours per day sometimes. Never less than 8 now. And I get tired at 9 PM, and just go to bed. :) Unheard of.

I'm jealous...I get about 6-7, though I will lay in bed a lot longer just because I like my bed. I really enjoy sleeping. I know some people view it as a waste of time, but I wish I could saw logs for 10 hours a day like in the good old days of college.

I'm jealous...I get about 6-7, though I will lay in bed a lot longer just because I like my bed. I really enjoy sleeping. I know some people view it as a waste of time, but I wish I could saw logs for 10 hours a day like in the good old days of college.

When I was w*rking at my most recent j*b, I was so much into the "get everything done, there's no time for anything" mode, I couldn't sleep more than about 6 hours per day, even though I was tired when I woke up, and could have slept longer. I'd just wake up and feel the need to start swinging the broadsword, in my next daily frenzy of accompl*shm*nt.

Last edited:
My normal sleep time was 9 to 5 am. After three days I've shifted to a 10 to 7 pattern lol

It actually took me a few days to break the early morning habit, then I went into a phase of sleeping a lot as the OP described. It took nearly a year until my body decided that 8-8:30 is the right time to get up, unless I stay up past midnight or have to set the alarm for an early activity of some kind.

Back
Top Bottom