Disney in FL as employer?

MovingtotheCove

Recycles dryer sheets
Does anyone have any input, suggestions, pros/cons, etc. about seeking to work PT for Disney in some capacity after ER. Goal is something to do, stay engaged with the working world for a few more years, and cushion the asset base a bit after the last downturn in the economy? Thanks!

The guys who drive the shuttles from the parking lots to the parks seem to have a lot of fun. One guy told me he was a CPA in New Jersey, and another once swore he was a big city mayor but wouldn't say which city.

I ran into a retired Col that worked for Disney. He quit. I ask him why as I thought it would be a great retirement job. He said he could not stand the Goofy suit! He was in senior management, however, the theme park comes first. In the summer when they are short everyone has a place in the park. He said after having to play Goofy on too numerous occasions, he quit. He said it was the heat of the costume at his age. A great corporation, lots of great people, good benefits, but Goofy just was not one of them.

My brother works for Disney. EVERYONE does a stint in the park. That guy flipping burgers could be a senior whosis, department head lord high whatever... when it is your 2 weeks, it is your 2 weeks ....

(He hasn't been Goofy, but he has been other furry critters. Goofy has to be 6' 3" or more, I think. )

ta,
mews

Last edited:
A few years ago, one of the costumed figures was arrested for groping a woman who was posing with him for a picture. A few additional groping victims came forward after that.

Pictures made the news. The perp appeared to be a 30-something man. So don't be surprised if would-be Goofy candidates need serious background checks. It's a jungle out there.

One of my nephews has been working at Disney World in FL for ... must be 10-15 years by now. He loves it. Started out running a ride and then was recruited for recruiting. They flew him around to college campuses to find new hires. He's in management now, I forget what it is he does.

I wouldn't think they'd pay much and I wouldn't last long in the FL heat wearing a Goofy suit or any other kind. But you get free passes to the park.

I applied for a groundskeeper job on one of their golf courses and got accepted,trouble was in the three months it took to finally tell me i had a job i'd got another job. Pay was union scale,at the time (1980) i think it was about $12 to $15hr

I applied for a groundskeeper job on one of their golf courses and got accepted,trouble was in the three months it took to finally tell me i had a job i'd got another job. Pay was union scale,at the time (1980) i think it was about $12 to $15hr

Things have really changed. When I was graduating high school I got hired to play in one of the wandering Dixieland bands. They offered me room, board, free park access, and I think $150/hr. I had to turn it down and get a real job, since I was paying my own way through college. But it would have been fun, I bet.

Back
Top Bottom