Do you have a passion?

Thanks for that. I don't feel quite so much of an outlier, or oddity, now. I think it all started with the self-help books and articles a number of years ago that encouraged readers to "find their passion". This sort of thinking has spread into the mainstream, so that the word "passion" has become something of a buzzword. We're all supposed to be living our lives with passion, or the suggestion is that we are wasting our time on earth.

I definitely don't want to sound like a cynic or a killjoy, because I'm not. I have a sense of wonder about the world. There are things that interest me, and activities that I become quite engrossed in. Like you though, I think that "passion" is often overstating the case a bit. The problem I have with all this hyperbole in the way we express ourselves is that it sets unrealistic expectations (if I am not feeling great passions, have I failed?) It also robs people of the right to experience a wide range of different subtle levels of engagement (if I'm not experiencing maximum passion, it's not legitimate).

It seems to be an American thing. Everything has to be experienced "to the max". It's all about being #1, winning, going all the way, etc. There are no grey areas, and there's no subtlety.

My gosh, now I sound like a grumpy old goat!

I agree completely. When I worked as a lawyer in government, passion became a huge buzzword. It became the rule that to be considered for a career in my field, one had to express great passion for the clients and work we did. I always maintained that basic competence was much more important, particularly to the clients. But that's not glamorous and garners no awards. Don't get me wrong, I cared about my clients and doing a good job. I just think that doing a job passionately does not always equate to a job well done, and often those who claim greatest passion are just faking it anyway.

Thanks for that. I don't feel quite so much of an outlier, or oddity, now. I think it all started with the self-help books and articles a number of years ago that encouraged readers to "find their passion". This sort of thinking has spread into the mainstream, so that the word "passion" has become something of a buzzword. We're all supposed to be living our lives with passion, or the suggestion is that we are wasting our time on earth.

I definitely don't want to sound like a cynic or a killjoy, because I'm not. I have a sense of wonder about the world. There are things that interest me, and activities that I become quite engrossed in. Like you though, I think that "passion" is often overstating the case a bit. The problem I have with all this hyperbole in the way we express ourselves is that it sets unrealistic expectations (if I am not feeling great passions, have I failed?) It also robs people of the right to experience a wide range of different subtle levels of engagement (if I'm not experiencing maximum passion, it's not legitimate).

It seems to be an American thing. Everything has to be experienced "to the max". It's all about being #1, winning, going all the way, etc. There are no grey areas, and there's no subtlety.

You can put me on this list too.

I’m definitely pro- passion if we’re score keeping.

Life is a banquet..and most poor bast@rds are starving to death. -Auntie Mame

Last edited:
i'm definitely in the "even-keel-about-life-in-general" camp, however the one activity I love is golf. Not sure if it's a passion or obsession, but I love hitting the ball, walking (or riding) to it, and hitting it again. Over and over. Here in New England I do that about 20 times a month from mid-April to mid-November.

Include me in the grumpy old goat club.:D

I can't say I have "passions" that I follow. I've been interested in aviation and flying machines for as long as I can remember, but I never wanted to make a career of it. But I did get my private pilot's license and owned an airplane for a couple of years. I'm quite content with small R/C models that I fly in the back yard a few times a week weather permitting. One of the "lessons learned" when I was flying much larger R/C models was that it was, for me, 90% of the fun of full size airplanes for a small fraction of the cost. Obviously that is not a path for everyone.

Another interest is photography and I've posted about that before. As with aviation I've had an interest in it all my life but never had the time/money to develop the interest until about ten years ago. Digital photography made experimentation free and that was a factor too.

I have a DSLR, about five lenses for it, four strobe lights, tripods, umbrellas and other stuff, and at family gatherings I'm the guy taking photos. I'll admit it is flattering to see one of my photos framed and mounted on someone's wall. But I have no interest in making it a job. Then it's not a hobby, it's work, and I'm done with that.

My passions are listed in my "About Me" section. I am really at my happiest outdoors in nature (if the weather is nice).

Funny! Some of the best days I have had have had highs of teens to maybe low 20s. I had a great day stomping in the woods a couple years ago at 20 degrees with snow coming down the whole time.

Love the outdoors in all seasons and being there with family and DD. Also love learning and trying to impart this passion to others.

When I was younger, passions were easier to come by (wait, that doesn’t sound right) than now. Or at least I feel less of the “high” when pursuing just about anything I have a keen interest in.

I’m definitely a dilettante, and right now my interests are: renovating our school bus for upcoming travel plans, disaster relief training, and looking for a rental property.

I was a passionate horseback rider in my youth, competing in this realm to the exclusion of nearly all other interests. I don’t know if I could ever again be that focused on just one thing.

Funny! Some of the best days I have had have had highs of teens to maybe low 20s. I had a great day stomping in the woods a couple years ago at 20 degrees with snow coming down the whole time.

Like Brewer, I love being outdoors. My top 2 passions are running and bicycling. Downside to these passions is that if I am injured or sick (alas, something that seems to happen too frequently)I get into a funk 'coz I can't do either one. But then a nice walk, regardless of temps or precipitation, lift my spirits.
I should add that several months ago I restarted a very old passion of mine, Duplicate Bridge, and I'm now hooked on that again.

I can see where falling snow can be fun if you are dressed for it...it makes the air smell great, too...but how about pouring rain?

This is an easy one. I have an insatiable passion for all things that encompass a leisurely life...and ER certainly helps fulfill that. :)

I don't really have any passions... I sort of wish that I did.

If any, they would friends and family and golf.

My hobby job (passion) involves buying interesting items at yard sales, then selling them on ebay. Lots of fun, and nice money, too. (Once found a "doughboy" helmet from WWI and sold it to a man who had it refurbished, and gave it as a retirement gift to his Major (in the reserves). Pretty cool. Also have a passion for spending winters in the sun, down south.

I used to have a passion for real estate, when working full time as a Realtor. But the meltdown of housing in 2007 kind of took the wind out of those sails. I still enjoy it now and then, but really don't dwell on it like I used to.

I had a passion for a number of years working as a career counselor, testing clients and helping people with disabilities return to work. Eventually the passion part ended and I retired. Then a year later I was asked to teach a online college class that combined social work and disabilities and I decided to try it. I found out that I love it and will probably never quit doing that.

Travel was my passion, and DW's also. In the 10 years we have been married, we took some 40 odd trips. Land trips, ocean cruises, and river cruises.
Unfortunately, some health problems have slowed us down considerably, since we cannot fly.
My next passion is flying, especially for Angel Flight and Pilots n Paws. I have also managed to fly a couple of jets and WW2 aircraft.

I have not had any real passions for quite a few years but do have plenty of interests that pass the time enjoyably.

Some current examples: Most anything outside (walking, biking, hiking, etc.) with bonus points if a beach is involved, reading and researching whatever I find interesting at the moment, cooking (which still surprises me since I used to detest this activity), TV, drinks with friends, etc.

I can see where falling snow can be fun if you are dressed for it...it makes the air smell great, too...but how about pouring rain?

Around here it is so rare that I usually can just find an indoor amusement or task on those rare occasions. However, I have had some great days fishing in very wet weather.

Financial planning and investments, learning and sharing. Helping others I know that want and need help.

Also, being outside and being active. I can tell when I don't get my fix.

I had a passion for a number of years working as a career counselor, testing clients and helping people with disabilities return to work. Eventually the passion part ended and I retired. Then a year later I was asked to teach a online college class that combined social work and disabilities and I decided to try it. I found out that I love it and will probably never quit doing that.

I like the quote: "Musicians don't retire; they stop when there's no more music in them." It sounds like you have lots more teaching left in you.

Travel, boating, reading and golf, puttering in the yard and garage. Wait a minute thats too many. Okay, lets just say I have a lot of "interests"...:cool:

I also love nature and being outdoors in good weather; hence we live in So CA. I love water and most water sports, although I only like warm water diving. Good thing I'm also passionate about travel since the water in So CA is way too cold for me. Love planning travel and experiencing it. And I love food - shopping for it, cooking it, eating it at home or at a restaurant. Used to be more passionate about wine but we've cut back on that quite a bit. Makes weight maintenance easier.

Can frugality be considered a passion? If so, I have that one. Also, saving mega dollars by working on my cars.

I used to be passionate about rock music, then jazz. I'm not that much into rock anymore, and only into certain types of jazz.

My new musical passion is classically trained sopranos and mezzosopranos singing stuff by 19th century composers, with just a piano or cello or flute or something for accompaniment. I used to be bored to death by this stuff, now I love it. Who knew?

Absolutely!

Music, art, fly fishing, astronomy - golf is making a comeback for me

Currently trying to learn jazz guitar

My problem is that I'm still w*rking - harder than ever - and I rarely have time to do any of those activities

I've had many passions at various times in my life (baseball, golf, tennis, bowling, woodworking, ham radio, home remodeling, drag racing, road racing, weight lifting, photography, astronomy, RC cars, fly fishing, sketching, magic, competitive shooting, reloading, audio/video, etc.) most of which were fleeting, but a few constants remained: cars, baseball/softball and working out. That said, everything takes a back seat to passion for family.

Back
Top Bottom