Do you miss being front and center

..... I told the ringleader, an enormous noisy woman who had wanted to be the team lead, that she was welcome to go seek a team lead who was older than she was. I stopped short of saying "if you can find one," but the point was taken. I think she was waiting to find out if I had b!+c# credentials before she would respect me.

Did she change her tune later on?

I have been a manager, and I present at conferences several times a year in front of hundred of people, as well as to large Megacorp clients, which gets me some "front and center" time with Megacorp executives... and I will not miss it. While I enjoy it, I never really "tied" it to my identity. It was something that helped get me to my goal of FI. Now that I have achieved FI, I will be very comfortable walking away from it.

I've never met anyone like her, thank goodness. I learned a lot about psychology and behavior that I could have done without. She created a lot of sound and fury to make herself the center of attention. I counseled her about it, and she naturally blew me off, but what finally got her to leave is that she could see the rest of the team were enjoying working for me (in spite of their efforts to resist). Later, the most honest of the bunch told me they had tried hard not to like working for me, because they'd made such a fuss against me at the beginning :LOL::facepalm:

Did she change her tune later on?

I've never met anyone like her, thank goodness. I learned a lot about psychology and behavior that I could have done without. She created a lot of sound and fury to make herself the center of attention. I counseled her about it, and she naturally blew me off, but what finally got her to leave is that she could see the rest of the team were enjoying working for me (in spite of their efforts to resist). Later, the most honest of the bunch told me they had tried hard not to like working for me, because they'd made such a fuss against me at the beginning :LOL::facepalm:

Good to hear she left, to leave you alone with a better, happy team :)

I used to have a co-worker in another department who never stopped complaining about her work situations. I heard she is doing the same, exact thing at another company. Some people are born complainers, I think.

NO!

I don't worry about meeting/exceeding the sales, revenue, and profit targets every quarter.

Don't miss the long hours in the office. Don't miss the con calls with too many people speaking just to hear their own voices and sound important. Don't miss the travel, 7AM flights out, 6PM four hour flights home.

Or the customer satisfaction metrics. Or the headcount reductions. Or some of the staffing issues or perennial customers who want everything for nothing. Pr dealing with legal and fighting with HR.

I do miss some of the very good colleagues and customers that I had the pleasure and privilege of being associated with.

Glad to be out of it and getting on with enjoying what is left of my life. Its an adventure.

Back
Top Bottom