Frank Lloyd Wright

The*Marin County Civic Center, designed by*Frank Lloyd Wright, is located in*San Rafael,*California,*United States.

Ok, so that's good to know! We are in the early stages of planning a trip to Napa Valley (so long as the fires have not decimated it), so can take this in while out there.

Taliesin Wisconsin is about three hours NW of Chicago in the "driftless" area of WI, known for steep hills & ravines they call coullees that were not glaciated during the last ice age. Beautiful country and the estate tours are very good. The two hour focuses on the house, the four hour includes the grounds & outbuildings.

In addition to the architecture you learn about the adulterous affair and murder / arson scandal that dominated a large part of FLW's life there.

About 15 minutes from Taliesen is House on the Rock. It's an absolutely bizarre compound built by an FLW wannabee who had lots of money but lacked Wright's talent. Love it or hate it, there is nothing like it anywhere. It was featured in the novel / TV series American Gods.

If you want to visit both then allow two days as trying to do both in one day would be overwhelming.

BrianB

An online search of "frank lloyd wright houses" willl lead you to a catalog of his work online, franklloydwright.org. It's a pretty comprehensive list. Google maps searches of "frank lloyd wright houses near xxx" will get you geographically oriented information.

I am a huge fan of FLW since taking a history of architecture course in college. My computer background is a photo of Fallingwater I took during a visit to the house, if that tells you what I think of his work. There is Kentuck knob close as well as three private homes designed by Wright near Fallingwater. Most of the replies already list some of the most iconic works you can see.

Many of his ideas were "visionary" that is to say "a little crazy" LOL. I'm glad to be living in a house inspired by his designs but made livable, but not actually designed by him.

We almost bought a FLW fixer upper in Maine for 300-400K, I heard it took a million dollars to renovate by the time the owner finished. Dodged that bullet!

if you are looking for woodworking ideas check out the Taliesin West website for inspirations.

I have been to the one in Bentonville, AR; it was one the grounds of the Crystal Bridges Museum. It was a really fun girls trip, the museum was beautiful and free. There was a small charge for touring the Frank Lloyd Wright house. I enjoyed the house, but really enjoyed Crystal Bridges.

One of the oddest Wright-designed buildings I know of is the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church in Wauwatosa, Wis. Supposedly he built on architectural concepts from Byzantine architecture; it's certainly a departure from many of his other buildings. Wikipedia compares it to the Marin County Civic Center, which was drawn up after the church. I attended a wedding here once.

Annunciation_Greek_Orthodox_Church;_Wauwatosa,_Wisconsin;_June_6,_2012.JPG

Back
Top Bottom