Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-10-2021, 02:04 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenK View Post
If you're ever in Chicago, it's worth visiting Wright's home and studio in Oak Park. The neighborhood has several examples of his early work, including the Unity Temple. Also in Chicago, check out the Robie House.
I second that - definitely take the neighborhood tour in Oak Park.
It's a quick train ride from downtown to Oak Park.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2021, 02:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by savory View Post
I worked at the Johnson headquarters when they were still using the 3 legged chairs, designed by Wright to keep people in a 'working' position. You become unsteady and might fall if your legs are crossed.

I am not sure what they explain during the tour. I had an uncle who taught architecture and was a big fan of FLW. He provided an amazing private tour of the building telling me the finer points. As with any architecture tour, I would suggest you read up on FLW goals for his design. It will make the tour more meaningful.
That must have been Wright's way of keeping the workforce alert. The Old House article I linked to said Hib Johnson called Wright to complain that water leaking through the roof was dripping on him as he sat. Wright told him to move his chair.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:09 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
As a hobbyist woodworker, I love to see his homes. We've visited/toured two of them, one in Pennsylvania (I think it was called Fallingwater?) and the other in Springfield IL.

Have you been through any? Where? Was it worth a look?
Wright travelled in Japan and was influenced by Japanese
aesthetics, but only built one building there: the second version
(1923-1967) of the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo. It was demolished
in 1967 but the front part was preserved and moved to "Meiji World",
a kind of theme park near Gifu, Japan. Meiji World was created to
preserve western style buildings that were built post-1868 in
Japan but slated to demolished in the 1960's. Meiji World is
definitely worth seeing and Wright's Imperial Hotel is the
the most famous and architecturally significant building there.

Here is a lecture on the subject of Wright and Japan

https://thinktechhawaii.com/frank-ll...unity-matters/
I was misinformed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 03:33 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

We went to Taliesin in Scottsdale when it was still an architecture school - maybe 18 years ago. I can't remember the details, but the Architecture professor gave us the tour.

FLW was inspired by nature. His houses never occupied the highest point on the property - the house must appear subservient to the land. And his students lived in tents in the desert for a period of time to become one with nature.

He wanted rooms to look grand when entering the room. Taliesin's interior doors are not very tall. Wright planned it that way to make the room height appear to be higher than it actually was.

And I remember a breeze in the breezeway - even on a calm day. He was able to design the building such that a breeze went through even if there was no wind.

Amazing guy. I'd like to visit some of his other houses.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:58 PM   #25

Many great posts....thanks all
Old 03-11-2021, 06:05 AM   #26

The*Marin County Civic Center, designed by*Frank Lloyd Wright, is located in*San Rafael,*California,*United States.
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
The*Marin County Civic Center, designed by*Frank Lloyd Wright, is located in*San Rafael,*California,*United States.
Ok, so that's good to know! We are in the early stages of planning a trip to Napa Valley (so long as the fires have not decimated it), so can take this in while out there.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:35 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Taliesin Wisconsin is about three hours NW of Chicago in the "driftless" area of WI, known for steep hills & ravines they call coullees that were not glaciated during the last ice age. Beautiful country and the estate tours are very good. The two hour focuses on the house, the four hour includes the grounds & outbuildings.

In addition to the architecture you learn about the adulterous affair and murder / arson scandal that dominated a large part of FLW's life there.

About 15 minutes from Taliesen is House on the Rock. It's an absolutely bizarre compound built by an FLW wannabee who had lots of money but lacked Wright's talent. Love it or hate it, there is nothing like it anywhere. It was featured in the novel / TV series American Gods.

If you want to visit both then allow two days as trying to do both in one day would be overwhelming.

BrianB
BrianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:21 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

It's been several decades ago, but I visited the Hollyhock House in LA, and recommend it if you're in the area. However, the tour website says that they are closed for now.
CitizenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:13 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

An online search of "frank lloyd wright houses" willl lead you to a catalog of his work online, franklloydwright.org. It's a pretty comprehensive list. Google maps searches of "frank lloyd wright houses near xxx" will get you geographically oriented information.

I am a huge fan of FLW since taking a history of architecture course in college. My computer background is a photo of Fallingwater I took during a visit to the house, if that tells you what I think of his work. There is Kentuck knob close as well as three private homes designed by Wright near Fallingwater. Most of the replies already list some of the most iconic works you can see.

Many of his ideas were "visionary" that is to say "a little crazy" LOL. I'm glad to be living in a house inspired by his designs but made livable, but not actually designed by him.

We almost bought a FLW fixer upper in Maine for 300-400K, I heard it took a million dollars to renovate by the time the owner finished. Dodged that bullet!

if you are looking for woodworking ideas check out the Taliesin West website for inspirations.
PoorOldCountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:10 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have been to the one in Bentonville, AR; it was one the grounds of the Crystal Bridges Museum. It was a really fun girls trip, the museum was beautiful and free. There was a small charge for touring the Frank Lloyd Wright house. I enjoyed the house, but really enjoyed Crystal Bridges.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:45 AM   #32

One of the oddest Wright-designed buildings I know of is the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church in Wauwatosa, Wis. Supposedly he built on architectural concepts from Byzantine architecture; it's certainly a departure from many of his other buildings. Wikipedia compares it to the Marin County Civic Center, which was drawn up after the church. I attended a wedding here once.