Friends are all broke!

It really is a shame, because relatives are, in the end, all we have.

But there does seem to be something about us hoomans that impels some of us to seek reasons to look down on/resent others, even when no logical reason exists. It's just how things are, I guess.

Nice to hear my wife isn't the only one having to deal with that. Its a real shame and I know it hurts my wife a lot.

Like Kolkata's millionaires? :ermm: Let's be careful not to stereotype.

See also Meet India's First-generation Billionaires.

Let's not get carried away about 'stereotypes'. Not all 1.3 billion people from India are from the slums. They [the slums] do exist though, and are horrific. None of the people in these articles are from there...they are a whole different caste.

It only proves the point. Where you are born really does matter. Give thanks. :flowers:

Last edited:
You sure were lucky to be born with the ability to do all of that. I work with several people who work darn hard but don’t have the intellect to really be successful. I also know some people who are incapable of buckling down to hard work as they weren’t born with the emotional strength to do so (they acknowledge it as a personality issue but get too “stressed out” with basic responsibilities that they essentially freeze up and can’t function.

I agree that hard work is required to be successful (most of the time) but disagree that everyone is capable of the same level of success.

I personally believe most of the people here are lucky for their capabilities/temperament and hard working is required to turn those into accomplishments.

I couldn’t agree more. I have a close relative who inherited Aspergers from her father. Even though her father was not afflicted with crippling anxiety and depression, she is. She is bright, ambitious, conscientious and hardworking but Aspergers and all the accompanying mental health issues make success and life very very difficult. She refuses to accept her limitation and it’s sad to watch someone trying so hard and making little progress. Luck and temperament play the biggest role in how “successful” you become.

I was lucky to be born in the right Country.
Nice to have a Dane on the forum. :greetings10:

Du må hygge dig!

flag_world_denmark.jpg

Last edited:
I think we have hit upon something here. In a lot of countries third base is missing.:cool:

Even though I worked real hard to get to third base for the first time, I felt like I was the luckiest guy in grad school. It was hard work, luck and a lot of sweating.

I think we have hit upon something here. In a lot of countries third base is missing. They don't have baseball. Japan has baseball and see how well they have done? We just got to start getting more people in more countries into baseball. Or maybe we should keep it quiet, and keep it to ourselves? (Snip)
I hate to have to bring this up but here it goes. Baseball is by far the favorite sport in Cuba and Venezuela...:(

I’ve said it before, but anyone with less money than me was just too lazy to work as hard as I did. Anyone with more money than me most likely stole it or worse, inherited it.

Some people overcome all obstacles, others find obstacles where none exist.

I recently told someone close that I certainly can't make any brags about keeping a job, but at least I never had any problem finding the next one quickly. I consider myself lucky in that I never had to deal with racial oppression. Being born into a somewhat poor family making poor financial decisions was hard enough. But at least I wasn't born into a sharecropper family with a mean drunk for a dad -- like my Mom was.

Perhaps my smartest move was to marry my wife and put her though court reporting school. In the end she earned double my salary and pension.

Some people overcome all obstacles, others find obstacles where none exist.
One of my first corporate managers was a former Army major. As a kid right out of college, working for a demanding executive was a big change.

A great lesson I learned from him was taking ownership and problem solving. When I would go to him with some problem, he would say: "Anyone can bring me problems, I need people who bring me solutions. How do you propose to fix this problem?" :cool:

Many people have mentioned marrying well. Just another life decision that has to be made well or corrected at great cost. I had to correct that one! Cost me five years of ER.

I was raised on the wrong side of the tracks and my friends and brother had all quit school in grade 10. It was fun riding in their hot cars and going to drag races. But I also saw the life quality was not what I wanted. So I made new friends and went on to get my Masters degree. Luckily I had the aptitude to excel at school.

In fact, the Principal told me that the only reason I was not expelled was because of my marks. How was that for motivation?

In fact, the Principal told me that the only reason I was not expelled was because of my marks. How was that for motivation?

I was expelled from two schools......guess I should have attended classes and then sat for exams. :LOL:

Well done Keith!

I was expelled from two schools......guess I should have attended classes and then sat for exams. [emoji23]

Well done Keith!
I only was thrown out of one class. Wouldn't have been to bad but it was the 180# wrestling coach throwing 130# me out of World Cultures. Throw was the proper term, He speared me from 5 yards out, and proceeded to throw me about the room.

Sent me to the guidance counselor to be re-assigned to a different teacher. She smiled and said "he's having a bad day you just go back tomorrow"! He never said a word.

Our 25th reunion someone was asking what teacher did that to who? Of course teaching had zero appeal to me.

And the fun you can have with the things that money can buy is even better!

My friends are not all broke but no I don't know the details of everyone's financial situation. I do have relatives with much more $ than I have, and I do have some friends with less.

I also have a few friends, while not dead broke, are pretty much month to month. In all of those cases, a divorce was involved, coupled with money mismanagement. How do I know? They asked me for money advise, ignored it, and complained of the outcome. (No, I bit my lip and did not tell them, "I told you so.")

One friend/ co-worker had her equity in her home, sold it, and spent all on her deadbeat kids. She then got a healthy workers' comp settlement and again, spent it all on the kids. She also co-signed her grand-daughter's college loans, and the grand-daughter defaulted. My friend/ co-worker came into my office crying one time that (after she triggered SS while working she couldn't pay her taxes). Yes, I had told her to have extra with holding, but no. I momentarily considered giving her the money, but thought I would be funding those kids and didn't. The grandmother is working at 70 and still paying those student loans.

Another friend ran up huge credit card loans, asked me if she should declare bankruptcy, and within five minutes was asking if I wanted to invest in her business. (She was never good with money but on top of that had a horrific personal tragedy, and I think she spent to drown the sorrow.)

I don't intend to match the spending of either my rich relatives or "broke" friends, but they both remain part of my life.

I haven't retired yet, but I have slowly realized that what I thought was friendly information sharing and bouncing ideas off of peers, friends and family about should I stay or should I go and where I am in my retirement planning - was a big mistake. Talking about timelines, hopes, dreams, money, plans etc. - only invites jealousy and hard feelings. No more. I will keep it on a site like this where jealousy should be non-existent. I'm a slow learner, but eventually I do learn.

Most of my siblings and close friends have less money than me. In some cases, they did not save for retirement or mismanaged their money but mostly they were divorcees or singles with children in lower paying professions. Where this tends to be a problem is when we vacation together. I would prefer staying in nicer hotels (e.g., with an ocean view or an historic hotel within a national park) and eating at nicer restaurants and visiting better attractions. Usually we are sharing a hotel room as having separate rooms would be a big budget buster for them. While I am willing to pay extra, they want to split the costs evenly and this makes it awkward.
Awkward, indeed. You must feel terrible, having to either slum it or cast them aside.

Your dilemma is captured in the following passage, found in Nicholas Monsarrat's novel This is the Schoolroom (1939).
[There can be no] compromise over the process: for one [is] either one of the favourite children, the jeunesse dorée and adorée, or one [is] relegated to that vast outer throng, that anonymous bank of seaweed which never comes to the surface. To be déclassé [is] to vanish without trace, there being, to the official eye, only one class – First, Reserved, and paid for in advance.

Can it be otherwise? It is ‘quaint’ at the beginning, but it cannot go on being quaint: complimentary tickets and shared taxis may patch up the cracks for a time, but it is inevitable that So-and-so’s company should in the course of time become either an embarrassment or an expensive luxury – he is chary of the second bottle of champagne, public familiarity with his wife’s wardrobe earns it contempt in every restaurant in the West End of London, and the fact that they cannot return even the most modest form of hospitality is a trenchant debit in the social budget. Besides, sooner or later So-and-so will be wanting to borrow money, which is a different thing altogether. It was said of Sheridan that one could not take off one’s hat to him in the street without its costing fifty pounds, and that to stop to speak to him meant a certain loan of a hundred: news of such a financial hazard travels fast and widely, and deduces one’s social circle to a literal nodding acquaintanceship.

When poverty comes in at the door, love not only flies out of the window but bolts the shutters on the outside.

My friends are not all broke but no I don't know the details of everyone's financial situation. I do have relatives with much more $ than I have, and I do have some friends with less.

I also have a few friends, while not dead broke, are pretty much month to month. In all of those cases, a divorce was involved, coupled with money mismanagement. How do I know? They asked me for money advise, ignored it, and complained of the outcome. (No, I bit my lip and did not tell them, "I told you so.")

One friend/ co-worker had her equity in her home, sold it, and spent all on her deadbeat kids. She then got a healthy workers' comp settlement and again, spent it all on the kids. She also co-signed her granddaughter's college loans, and the grand-daughter defaulted. My friend/ co-worker came into my office crying one time that (after she triggered SS while working she couldn't pay her taxes). Yes, I had told her to have extra withholding, but no. I momentarily considered giving her the money but thought I would be funding those kids and didn't. The grandmother is working at 70 and still paying those student loans.

Your friends sound like my older relatives, now well into their 70s.

Helped one out yesterday at their home, & looking around, let's just say there's a lot of deferred maintenance that can't be deferred too much longer.

I know they had to take their SS at 62 after 40+ years of low-paying employment, so it can't be much.

I like to ***** about how I shoulda/woulda/coulda, but after yesterday I'm just thankful I'm not anywhere near their position.

They now have very few options given their age and increasingly poorer health.

I live in a +55 community, and I am sure Unfortunately, my copilot was slammed by his late wife's medical bills, so he does not have much saved. I am happy to have him with me (he is like the brother I never had).
So, I pay for the planes for our flights, and he is grateful. Fortunately, money never comes up between us.

Good for you...

There are roughy 11 million people with assets exceeding a million dollars nationwide. Many own properties or businesses that push them into the millionaires club and they never would consider selling.

The real question becomes who is a ‘liquid millionaire’. That is to say a a couple million or more in taxable bank or brokerage accounts. I would say they are a much rarer breed.

Post a question about how much does it cost to live in the Villages on Talk of the villages and you’ll get tons of advise from people retired and just getting by. They budget down to the very last dime.

Saving, patience and planning for the future are virtues that too many seem to lack. The question always asked is how many are ready for retirement.

Chances are if you lived smartly in your youth you will live well in your retirement years.

Back
Top Bottom