Golf (from the land of ignorance)

Timely thread. I am retiring here soon and have several friends who keep encouraging my wife and I to take up golfing (so we can golf with them). But I felt/feel the same way as the OP. I didn't want to look like a fool out there. So this thread is good for me too--very educational!

As mentioned take some lessons first then spend time practicing on the range. When you're ready to go out on the course for the first time pick a time when it's not busy (usually a weekday afternoon), check with the pro shop for the best time. That way you can take your time and not worry about holding up anyone behind you but if it happens just wave the group through. At my golf club the first 1.5 hours of tee times on weekdays are reserved for those members who play fast (3.5 hours or less), which includes about 75% of the membership. I find the pace of play at private clubs to generally be much faster than resort or public courses. The one thing that wrecks more golf games is over thinking. Hit the ball, find it, and enjoy!

I had planned for golf to be an ER hobby as I enjoy being outside and thought it would be a good way to meet new people. I took lessons and went to a women's golf clinic before going out on the course. For a month or so went out with a group of ladies who met on Saturday mornings for 9 holes. Then something went terribly wrong with my (already poor) swing and I was unable to get any height on the ball at all. I took more lessons, played a few times with my son, and spent many frustrating hours on the driving range trying to get my swing back to the point where I could at least hit the ball 75-100 yards, but nothing worked. Very frustrating because I pretty consistently hit the ball straight, but it would just slide down the fairway 25 yards on most swings. So I pretty much have given up on golf, sadly. Someone told me that there are similarities in throwing a ball and swinging a club, so I guess it makes sense that I suck at both of them.

I had planned for golf to be an ER hobby as I enjoy being outside and thought it would be a good way to meet new people. I took lessons and went to a women's golf clinic before going out on the course. For a month or so went out with a group of ladies who met on Saturday mornings for 9 holes. Then something went terribly wrong with my (already poor) swing and I was unable to get any height on the ball at all. I took more lessons, played a few times with my son, and spent many frustrating hours on the driving range trying to get my swing back to the point where I could at least hit the ball 75-100 yards, but nothing worked. Very frustrating because I pretty consistently hit the ball straight, but it would just slide down the fairway 25 yards on most swings. So I pretty much have given up on golf, sadly. Someone told me that there are similarities in throwing a ball and swinging a club, so I guess it makes sense that I suck at both of them.

After playing golf since I was a caddie in my early teens, I am convinced there is a certain degree of natural ability that you inherently need to play golf, even at the very basic levels. Some people have it, some don't.

For beginners, you'd be surprised at how well you can hit the ball by just using a 9 to 3 swing vs winding up with a full back swing like you see the pros do on TV. Thats also a good way to get your swing back if it starts to go off the rails for some of the more experienced golfers. Take it easy and don't try to kill it, let the club do the work.

Like any other activity involving physical coordination, it is going to take some time to get to a level of enjoyment. That's why it is important to take some lessons, and practice, practice, and practice before getting to the courses. And it is important to pair up with a patient golf partner who can show you the way.

Taking a page out of pb4uski, having a user name like pb4ugolf (practice before you golf ... or pray before you golf :D) will help.

Give it a try. It is a great. and frustratingly difficult, game. The pros make it look so easy. I know many gifted athletes who think their gifts will translate to golf and oftentimes do not. One exception seems to be hockey players - they seem to pick it up well - I guess that it is similar hand eye coordination and if you can hit a moving puck with a hockey stick then hitting a stationary golf ball is a piece of cake.
You may be onto something there. I took a friend out for his first 9 yesterday. He said that he'd been to a range a few times, but it sounded like years ago. He's a good athlete and had played some hockey. I was ready for some whiffs and worm burners, but his first tee shot went over 100 yards--into the trees, but still nicely in the air. 4th hole, after a mulligan, he bounces onto the par 3 green,and 2 putts for a par. On #7 he made a 50 foot putt that had some break. Overall, it was really impressive.

Anyway, I also advise starting on the driving range, and taking lessons. Then play a round with an instructor, who can teach you the rules, etiquette, and answer all questions you have in a more organized manner than most golfers can give. And they'll know a good time to take you out and watch behind so you don't have to worry about holding up irate golfers.

When I lived in California and played a lot of golf, I used to play golf occasionally with an amateur hockey player who was part of our group of friends. Not only were his shots all over the place, but he was "rough" on his clubs. :D

Definitely start on a driving range... With a friend who can get you set up. Then go out on a short course with your friend. If you enjoy it, then you can pay an instructor.

One thing to remember, the swing will feel awkward.

USGA: Etiquette

Start with Etiquette. Above is link to USGA (US Golf Association) Etiquette Section of The Rules. As someone who has taken the USGA Rules test, I'd advise you not get too hung up on the rest of the Rules at this point. Just play the course as you find it and play your ball as it lays (lies?). And do it quickly (but don't hurry).

DW and I started playing golf several years ago, to add a "shared" activity for us to have. Also, I decided my body wasn't going to keep up with my pride for playing full court basketball and flag/tackle football with our sons and their friends. :) So far we have never had any issues with being newbies from other golfers or the courses we ave played .Perhaps because we tend to frequent "budget" courses - meaning places where the green fees are< $30. There are at least a half dozen of these courses within 20 minutes of us so it works out well.

We have only taken a few lessons but plan to take more. My past sports activities and my current workouts, has helped me progress. I try to get to a driving range at least a couple of times a week, that definitely helps. I doubt I'll get to be a "scratch" golfer, but I still enjoy just being out in the fresh air and moving all over the course.

As a newbie, I try to do the following:

- Go to courses when it is less crowded times - the course staff can easily tell one when those times tend to be.
- Keep moving on a crowded course. When I started I'd bring 30 balls with me so that I wouldn't spend time looking for lost balls (I've been able to cut that down to about 20 :)). Also, my guideline is that if I haven't made it halfway on the course when the group behind me is on the tee, I'll wave them through. When I'm on the green I don't spend minutes checking the green and trying to line up the putt.
- Cut down on the number of clubs I have. 3 drivers, 2 hybrids, 6 irons/wedges and a putter at most. On "Executive" type par 3/4 courses I'll cut down to 2 drivers, a hybrid, 4 irons/wedges and a putter. My time at the driving range has taught me that I don't get much different distance from certain clubs. A smaller selection moves the game faster.
- Spend more time at the driving range working on clubs that I use for fairway shots than driving or putting. Those are the shots I find most difficult and make the biggest difference in my score.
- I don't put pressure on myself. I go for little victories, like making it onto the green in the same number of shots as is par for the hole, or finally being able to drive the ball over that water hazard. Just being out and moving about is good enough for me. :LOL:

All good information. Thanks to everyone for chiming in.

We chatted about it last night and we decided to wait until we get to Florida to take our lessons. DH has a pretty heavy work schedule as well as randomly getting called in for OT so instead of chancing his missing lessons, etc. we will wait until our schedules are clear.

So happy to read this thread and find many keen on golf. It's a great game - one you can play with friends or loved ones or even on your own. For beginners, best to take some lessons first. When you are ready to play on the green, play with your instructor or a very patient seasoned golfer friend. Your first few games should preferably be played on a weekday during non-peak hours. I note that you have raised a lot of questions but not much on safety. Be careful on any golf course as one can be hit by an errant golf ball. Your position is behind and not in front of the player. Sometimes, even standing behind may be dangerous for eg. If the player in front is trying to hit the ball out of some trees, the ball may hit the trees and ricochet backwards. So, be careful and stay alert and keep safe.

Be careful on any golf course as one can be hit by an errant golf ball. Your position is behind and not in front of the player. Sometimes, even standing behind may be dangerous for eg. If the player in front is trying to hit the ball out of some trees, the ball may hit the trees and ricochet backwards. So, be careful and stay alert and keep safe.

thank you for that. I never gave that a thought.

So happy to read this thread and find many keen on golf. It's a great game - one you can play with friends or loved ones or even on your own. For beginners, best to take some lessons first. When you are ready to play on the green, play with your instructor or a very patient seasoned golfer friend. Your first few games should preferably be played on a weekday during non-peak hours. I note that you have raised a lot of questions but not much on safety. Be careful on any golf course as one can be hit by an errant golf ball. Your position is behind and not in front of the player. Sometimes, even standing behind may be dangerous for eg. If the player in front is trying to hit the ball out of some trees, the ball may hit the trees and ricochet backwards. So, be careful and stay alert and keep safe.

Yep, you never know....a couple years ago we were playing with a guy wasn't very good. He was hitting a 3 wood from fairway on par 5. My friend and I were standing roughly parallel to him 15 yards a way. Somehow he managed to smash the ball full speed straight sideways and the ball went right between us head high. I still don't know how that happened. So take the extra step and be behind them! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, you never know....a couple years ago we were playing with a guy wasn't very good. He was hitting a 3 wood from fairway on par 5. My friend and I were standing roughly parallel to him 15 yards a way. Somehow he managed to smash the ball full speed straight sideways and the ball went right between us head high. I still don't know how that happened. So take the extra step and be behind them! :)...

+1 You never know... I recently skulled a shot off the toe of a fairway wood and it wizzed by the head of a friend who was 70 yards ahead of me and 40 degrees to the right of my intended line of flight and normally would not be anywhere near where the ball should have been going. Be careful out there...

Already many great replies on rules and etiquette so I'll address another issue.

Competition vs enjoyment. Are you or DH very competitive? If one or both of you are then you can easily become obsessed with trying to improve your game and lower your scores. If you're both competitive and head off in this direction then no problem. If only one of you is, then there can be issues down the road. I've seen many couples start out together only to see one progress at a much quicker pace than the other and this can sometimes cause problems. Some couples do a good job of adjusting to this reality and schedule times to play together and other times to play apart with others who are more closely aligned with their skill level. I've seen other couples manage this situation poorly and end up having some serious arguments. Do your best to talk these issues out so you can both continue to enjoy the game.

Golf is a great game because anyone can play and it's a great way to get outside and get some exercise while enjoying time with friends and family. And golf courses re great places to meet people and make new friends. Also, many courses are set in beautiful locations with lots of wildlife around. Remember to try and maintain a balance between enjoying your friends and the surrounding environment versus trying to lower your score. I've seen many people get frustrated because they can't play as well as they THINK they should and end up giving up the game. People who stress out over their game, curse loudly on the course and throw their clubs around are not uncommon. It's a shame they've forgotten all the positive aspects of the game that attracted them to it in the first place.

Relax and have fun!

Already many great replies on rules and etiquette so I'll address another issue.

Competition vs enjoyment. Are you or DH very competitive? If one or both of you are then you can easily become obsessed with trying to improve your game and lower your scores. If you're both competitive and head off in this direction then no problem. If only one of you is, then there can be issues down the road. I've seen many couples start out together only to see one progress at a much quicker pace than the other and this can sometimes cause problems. Some couples do a good job of adjusting to this reality and schedule times to play together and other times to play apart with others who are more closely aligned with their skill level. I've seen other couples manage this situation poorly and end up having some serious arguments. Do your best to talk these issues out so you can both continue to enjoy the game.

Golf is a great game because anyone can play and it's a great way to get outside and get some exercise while enjoying time with friends and family. And golf courses re great places to meet people and make new friends. Also, many courses are set in beautiful locations with lots of wildlife around. Remember to try and maintain a balance between enjoying your friends and the surrounding environment versus trying to lower your score. I've seen many people get frustrated because they can't play as well as they THINK they should and end up giving up the game. People who stress out over their game, curse loudly on the course and throw their clubs around are not uncommon. It's a shame they've forgotten all the positive aspects of the game that attracted them to it in the first place.

Relax and have fun!

Good point. Neither of us are really overly competitive . He can be a little more intense than me and do the in your face because he got a better score (he tries to come off as joking) but if I gently remind him it is about fun together and if he gets a better score I really don't care he will keep his happy dancing to himself. I guess until we try it we won't know our individual reactions. Like you said we just need to relax and enjoy the process. If it becomes not fun I won't stick with it

Along with errant golf balls you might want to keep an eye out for the wildlife. A friend took this picture of a lynx on the links at Terra Lago in Indio California earlier this year. Seems that the green green grass makes for many bunnies, which results in fat opportunistic wild cats. Florida might have gators in the water traps and pythons in the rough...

img_1472966_1_f00897d653d4db2776f9344b98cfc8aa.jpg

Good point. Neither of us are really overly competitive . He can be a little more intense than me and do the in your face because he got a better score (he tries to come off as joking) but if I gently remind him it is about fun together and if he gets a better score I really don't care he will keep his happy dancing to himself. I guess until we try it we won't know our individual reactions. Like you said we just need to relax and enjoy the process. If it becomes not fun I won't stick with it
It became no fun for me because the people I played with were not only very competitive, they lied. A lot. Besides, it was a frustrating "sport" because one day I would shoot well, and the next, I'd put every ball in the woods. Completely unpredictable.

As for competition (and cheating), technology is coming. You swipe your credit card on the tee box kiosk (obviously a very limited number of courses), and it tracks your tee shot. You can play various games against the system or your partners. This image came from covertheflag.com:
cash_prize_matrix2.png

We currently live in an area where the golf courses are few and far between and golf is just not something most folks do. Including us. We are moving to Florida where of course you can walk out your front door in just about any neighborhood and golf. The community we are moving to has plentiful golf.

My questions are I am sure obvious if you live in a golf world, but, I am a nervous nelly about anything new and I don't want us to be those people that folks swear about, roll their eyes at, etc. if we are in the way, taking too long, or God forbid head to the wrong hole.

Do we call a local golf course and asked for a lesson with rentals? Or wait til we get where we are going and take a lesson at the course we would play on?

If we lose our golf ball do we just leave it and move on? Or do we at least try to find it?

If we hit the grass instead of the ball and a clump flies through the air do we retrieve it and put it back or let the groundskeeper repair it properly?

Is it obvious how to get to the next hole? Are they numbered?

How do we know if we are supposed to golf 9 holes or 18? Do you take breaks or keep going til your done?

What happens if you have to go to the bathroom?

Is their etiquette about what courses you can play at and is it rude to take tee times that regulars use if the person making the schedules give it to us? Or do they save those times for regulars and give everyone else what is available?

Are you supposed to use a golf cart? And do people really use bag boys or is that just professionals?

Who at a golf course do you tip?

Yes I have spent alot of time thinking about this and I really want to try it before we say we don't golf. We may love it or we may hate it. But my nervousness of the unknown will definitely keep me from trying it.:nonono:

Lots of good information here - thought I'd offer up some things that worked for my wife and me.

I have been golfing for quite awhile, but like everyone here - we all had to start sometime.

I taught my wife to play the game - my advice to her:

Accept that you'll play poorly until you've played the game for awhile and get a feel for your clubs and the average distance you'll get with each of them. When you're playing poorly - slow down your backswing/swing (backswing like Grandma as I say). There's nothing back there, and trying to stop/control a fast back-swing for a good swing is difficult at best. You'll be surprised how far/straight the ball goes with a properly executed slowed swing. Keep your head down and eye on your ball until you've completed your swing. You'll almost always have looked away/stood up when you topped/miss-hit the ball.

You need to play at least once a week to get any good at it ("Play the Game"). Don't be critical of yourself if you don't play well - we all have those days (and you will). The driving range is a great place to practice your swings with all of your clubs, but you never swing at a driving range like you'll swing on a course (something about not having to retrieve range balls, and what's called the "Choke-effect" at the course - hard to swing with one hand on the club and the other on your own throat).

Play at municipal/public 9-hole golf courses until you feel comfortable with your game (we've found 9-hole "par three" courses just about everywhere we've gone). Better if you walk the course to shake off a terrible shot, and to calm down ("walk it off" as they say). We use these courses to brush up before spending the dollars on the better courses when we first head down to Florida for the Winter and haven't played in awhile. These are usually very easy courses to play and will leave you feeling good about your game as you're learning. Most people there won't pretend to be pros, and usually won't gripe if you're slow (most there usually play no better than you). Let them play through if they do and watch how badly they play ;)

I gave my wife (and everyone who has spoken to me about taking it up) a book by Eddie Merrins "Golf for the Young". It's a simple easy to read 100 page book. The agreement is that they return the book to me in the same condition I gave it to them. It's the best book I've ever read about teaching the game. It's out of print and now is selling for $80.00 on Amazon. You should be able to find a good book for beginner golfers at your public library. I suggest these beginning golf books for younger folks, as they don't assume you know anything about the game and will teach you about each club, proper grip/swing, course strategy, rules, and etiquette.

I've taken lessons and would suggest that you hold off on spending any real money on them until you're comfortable with playing the game (at your local 9-hole course). It's better to have a pro work with you on your swing when you "have" a swing. Community colleges teach beginning golf at reasonable prices also. Personally, I've wasted money with pros and found that "playing the game" at least twice a week was the best method for improvement.

FYI - my first game was with my Brother and some of his co-workers. They told the one guy in our foursome I was a skilled golfer (was a bad day for me golfing overall). My revenge was the day I first broke 90 - while playing a round with him (he never has) :D

I've found that when both you and your spouse play the game and enjoy it - you have some wonderful golf vacations (wife plays a good game).....

Add:
This might be good and it's at our library - http://books.google.com/books/about/Golf.html?id=u5kLrXihs8kC

Last edited:
Second tree on the left. Or wait until you finish the nine holes. some courses do have a restroom in the middle of nine.

There are generally a port-a-pottys, or when you lose a ball and are looking for it in the woods you can decide…

Just fyi to all you golfers, when you are playing a course that's surrounded by a housing community, if you can see the houses, the owners can probably see you peeing. I've been tempted a couple of times to take pictures and post them on the internet, but I don't have a powerful enough lens for most of the golfers.

Our course (and most others) have a porta-potty and a clubhouse restroom, so there are options, even if it means letting some other folks play through.

Back
Top Bottom