Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this the right forum to ask about golf etiquette?
Beginner golf, no handicap cap. We play at a 9 hole course that seems to be for beginners to intermediates. We are slow due to bad hits, to many strokes and time looking for balls.
What is an approximate time to spend on a hole so we learn but don’t hold up other players?
Being rushed only makes us hit worse, and all players had to start at the beginning so don’t understand bad attitude players. One group hit balls on our fairway while we were looking for our balls! WTH!
Obviously we can let some groups play through but not everyone.
We get to the practice range 2 or 3 times a month, so we are practicing.

If people are hitting into you, that is not good. I would suggest "ready" golf, no or just one practice swing (I took a practice swing out of my game a couple years ago and my scores improved... I line up, set up, relax for a second, take back slowly and then just hit the damned ball).

One of the guys who plays in our group takes numerous practice swings and then chilli-dips it. Grrr...

Buy used balls at Walmart... less than $1 each so if you lose one give it a quick look and if you don't find it drop one and move on.

Most golfers don't mind playing with golfers who are not good golfers.... but hate playing with slow golfers whether they are low handicap or high handicap.

One beginner that I played with would just drop a ball about 150 yds and then play it in from there... she improved and is now playing off the tee and hitting the ball pretty well.

Last edited:
Get some inexpensive balls and stop looking for your balls. Just keep moving and you should be fine. There will always be people that don't respect that you're new to golf and at an appropriate golf course, but that's their problem. Have an extra ball(s) in your pocket at all times and keep moving. Take your time hitting the ball, but try to remove other wasted time.

Another thing to do is not worry about putting out. If your putt is close, add a stoke and pick up and move on. If you don't know what "inside the leather" means, let us know. It's a good rule for quicker golf.

One other thing to do is stop at double par. If you're at 8 on a par four, pick up and move on.

Play ready golf - etiquette is to have the person furthest away from the hole to shoot next. Forget that except to stay safe and out of the way of an errant shot. Get to your ball and hit - as in when you're ready, shoot. Of course, don't be obnoxious to your team mates.

Continually look for things to remove time from your game without sacrificing the time you take for a good shot. That's your time and you need it to improve.

Thanks for the suggestions,we’ll try them all .
Just for information purposes it takes us a little over 2 hours to play 9 holes.
Haven’t attempted 18.

Beginner golf, no handicap cap. We play at a 9 hole course that seems to be for beginners to intermediates. We are slow due to bad hits, to many strokes and time looking for balls.
What is an approximate time to spend on a hole so we learn but don’t hold up other players?
Being rushed only makes us hit worse, and all players had to start at the beginning so don’t understand bad attitude players. One group hit balls on our fairway while we were looking for our balls! WTH!
https://www.usga.org/content/dam/us... of Play Best Practices for OICs - Final2.pdf

Above is USGA pace of play guidelines.

Etiquette had been furthest away plays, but this was revised to "ready golf", i.e. Hit when you're ready. Everyone should go to their own ball and get ready to play.

Thanks for the suggestions,we’ll try them all .
Just for information purposes it takes us a little over 2 hours to play 9 holes.
Haven’t attempted 18.

For two people, that would be a bit long. For four people, that wouldn’t be slow at all. Four hours for 18 for a foursome is about right.

Some good suggestions already on slow play. Avoid early morning times, most playing then are regulars who expect to play fast. Play in a 3-some group if possible. Most new to golf spend way too much time over the ball, at most one practice swing then hit it, thinking about it will only make it worse. Pick up after 7/8 strokes, if you want the practice do it on the driving range. As far as how much time you should spend on each hole it depends. If the hole in front of you is open and groups are waiting behind you it's time to pick up the pace.

For two people, that would be a bit long. For four people, that wouldn’t be slow at all. Four hours for 18 for a foursome is about right.

I think it depends where you're playing. If at a golf resort where many are guest then it's a very reasonable time. At many private or member golf courses I've played at you would get run over playing in 4 hours early in the morning. My regular group(all walkers) during the week plays in about 3:15, we're usually the 6th group off and all the groups in front of us play even faster. As I mentioned in my other post you need to look at what's going on around you, if holes are open in front of you and groups behind you are waiting, it's time to pick it up. I never want to be part of a group that is regularly holding up other groups, I would find a new group or play at a later time.

Last edited:
It seems to be a catch 22 situation. If I don’t take some practice swings or take the time to setup correctly then almost guaranteed a mishit. I suppose in a few years the setup stuff will become second nature. Until then I think I need to just spend time on these situation and make it up later in the hole.
I like the idea of no more than double par on shots.
Also maybe drop the time looking for balls to a minute or two.
Stay out of the sand, rough, trees, would also help .... lol.

It seems to be a catch 22 situation. If I don’t take some practice swings or take the time to setup correctly then almost guaranteed a mishit. I suppose in a few years the setup stuff will become second nature. Until then I think I need to just spend time on these situation and make it up later in the hole.
I like the idea of no more than double par on shots.
Also maybe drop the time looking for balls to a minute or two.
Stay out of the sand, rough, trees, would also help .... lol.

Sounds to me like you need to hit the range, groove and gain confidence in your swing. Over thinking your swing is probably natural for one starting out. If I'm in the fairway, I never take a practice swing, see ball, address ball, hit ball. Unfortunately analysis paralysis is as normal on the golf course as it is in the investment community and the results are usually the same.

Sounds to me like you need to hit the range, groove and gain confidence in your swing. Over thinking your swing is probably natural for one starting out. If I'm in the fairway, I never take a practice swing, see ball, address ball, hit ball. Unfortunately analysis paralysis is as normal on the golf course as it is in the investment community and the results are usually the same.

+1 It really holds true for any athletic activity, you use practice time (driving range/putting green for golf) to ingrain what you're trying to do so you don't have to think about it when you're performing.

Already many good suggestions here. My take, get to your ball and determine your shot and club selection so when it's your turn you can just hit it. Limit looking for a lost ball to a minute or so. Pick up if you are having an especially bad hole. Limit the time reading your putts.

My take on pace of play. Foursome 4 to 4 1/2 hours depending on course conditions and weather. Threesome 3 1/2 to four hours. Twosome 3 to 3 1/2 hours. I understand some players like to play foursomes in 3 1/2 hours or so. These players are determined to play as fast as possible. Usually don't putt out and play like four singles. Don't be worried if you can't or don't want to play that fast.

Nothing to do with pace of play, but you are correct, staying out of trouble will decrease your time. There are a few fundamentals in golf, but there is one that I tell everyone and even need to remind myself of from time to time. Keep your eye on the ball. I don’t mean casually looking at the ball while you swing. I mean looking at the ball with laser focus all the way through your shot. You should see your club hit the ball and not move your head until you see the ground with no ball. Any time I hit a bad shot, it’s very likely that I did not follow this advice. It’s not as easy as it sounds and you have to take it serious for it to work. It’s a fundamental, so, good golfers probably don’t even think about it anymore. I’m a duffer, but I do much better when I seriously concentrate on watching the ball all the way through my swing.

The biggest thing to remember is you are out there to have fun and no one has ever mastered the game. Golf is a lot like life in the respect the randomness of the outcome of any golf shot. Two of my hole in ones, were crummy shots that happened to drop in the hole. If you really want to lower your score and improve your pace of play, practice your short game and putting.

Nothing to do with pace of play, but you are correct, staying out of trouble will decrease your time. There are a few fundamentals in golf, but there is one that I tell everyone and even need to remind myself of from time to time. Keep your eye on the ball. I don’t mean casually looking at the ball while you swing. I mean looking at the ball with laser focus all the way through your shot. You should see your club hit the ball and not move your head until you see the ground with no ball. Any time I hit a bad shot, it’s very likely that I did not follow this advice. It’s not as easy as it sounds and you have to take it serious for it to work. It’s a fundamental, so, good golfers probably don’t even think about it anymore. I’m a duffer, but I do much better when I seriously concentrate on watching the ball all the way through my swing.

Don't look at the ball! Big mistake!

Look at a couple dimples on the ball where you want to hit it. :D

Sometimes on the tee I'll tee my ball with my marks set to where I want to hit the ball and then I focus on the marks rather than the whole ball.

https://golfstateofmind.com/tour-player-secret-better-ball-striking/

Last edited:
I am in a month long slump caused by my laziness (no practice during the time). I started to practice again and for the first time in weeks, I played decently. I hope it stops the slide. My HI went from 13 to 14.1 in that span.

Some good suggestions already on slow play. Avoid early morning times, most playing then are regulars who expect to play fast. Play in a 3-some group if possible. Most new to golf spend way too much time over the ball, at most one practice swing then hit it, thinking about it will only make it worse. Pick up after 7/8 strokes, if you want the practice do it on the driving range. As far as how much time you should spend on each hole it depends. If the hole in front of you is open and groups are waiting behind you it's time to pick up the pace.

if you aren't watching someone hit then you are playing too slow

^^^^ Nah... silly idea. What about on the ~200+ yard walk from the tee to your drives? You aren't watching someone hit then. Same for the walk from your approach to the green.

^^^^ Nah... silly idea. What about on the ~200+ yard walk from the tee to your drives? You aren't watching someone hit then. Same for the walk from your approach to the green.

you know what i mean - if you aren't waiting to hit then you are playing too slow

a group should never, ever cause the group behind them to wait, that's poor etiquette

so we had our big member guest last week/weekend

head pro made a "no mooning" announcement before play on Saturday

I didn't know mooning your opponent wasn't illegal in match play

you know what i mean - if you aren't waiting to hit then you are playing too slow

a group should never, ever cause the group behind them to wait, that's poor etiquette

Looks like a circular reference. If I’m waiting to hit, then the group in front of me is making me wait - poor etiquette, but I’m not playing too slow. But, the group behind me should never have to wait? Why do they get to play slow?

Looks like a circular reference. If I’m waiting to hit, then the group in front of me is making me wait - poor etiquette, but I’m not playing too slow. But, the group behind me should never have to wait? Why do they get to play slow?

not a circular reference - if you are waiting to hit and the group in front of you is in the process of hitting, that's fine

if you stop play to score the hole, stop play to flirt with the beverage cart server, stop play in the middle of a par 5 to try and reach it from 300 or take more than 3 minutes to find your ball, that's unacceptable

also, unless you are in a stroke play tournament and have reached your max score, PICK UP THE BALL

DamnGreen_e826f405-eebd-4180-af7a-17a5683bc460_2000x.jpg

Last edited:
Now that I’ve been retired a few months and playing regularly, I’m considering getting fitted for some new clubs to replace my randomly acquired set that is 10 – 15 years old.

I’ve been looking at Club Champions, the PGA Store or Golf Galaxy for the fitting. Would anyone recommend these stores, or should I consider other options.

Is going for the entire set at once the best option (DW is ok with the expenditure) or is it best to piecemeal it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom