Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to some golf on Friday. I tried to join a local league, but could only get in as a Sub. I've already got a couple requests to sub and have been told that it's pretty common to be able to golf every Friday as a sub. A couple things I'm looking forward to are that it's just 9 holes and they allow you to walk.

I've typically played 18. That was all good when it was just me and a friend and we would go off first thing on Sunday and be done in 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Lately, it's been painful. We've had a lot of rain and carts are cart path only and I've had two 18 hole rounds exceed 5 hours. I like golf, but I don't want to spend that much time of my day golfing. Nine holes should only take a couple hours even if the pace is very slow. That will work for me.

Walking 9 seems like it will be great exercise. The course is pretty flat, so shouldn't be too hard. As a sub, I'll do whatever the partner is doing (if he's riding, I'll ride . . ), but if I get in as a member, I'll start walking exclusively. Now I need to get a push cart. The last benefit of walking is the cost. For the league, it's only $11 to golf 9 without a cart. That's a good cost for this course and will be an inexpensive way for me to get out one more time per week.

Didn't watch the video but did purchase a dozen Pro V1 refinished/refurbished balls one time and wasn't impressed. I'm fairly certain that some of the balls were not Pro V1's by how they reacted on the greens with wedge shots and chipping. If I wanted to save some money on Pro V1's I would look at the practice Pro V1 balls sold in some golf stores for $29. Titleist claims these will function 100% like a new ball but may have some cosmetic issue.

Or buy used from lostgolfballs.com but never buy refurbished

Most of the used balls being sold come out of water and there's a good chance they have been in there for a while. Saw an interview with a retired Taylor Made golf ball designer and he stated they have done studies on current golf balls and they do start to absorb water within a day or so of being in the water. Vice Golf has this on their web site but obviously they have an incentive to convince someone not to buy used.

https://www.vicegolf.com/us/forget_lakeballs

After just twelve hours in the water, the outermost layer of the golf ball allows water to enter into the ball. This is mainly because modern layers of multi-layer golf balls (such as Urethane and UPC) are usually constructed to be extremely hydrophilic (moisture attracting) in order to prevent adverse affections due to weather. But if golf balls sit in the water for longer periods of time, permanent damage will be result. While invisible from the outside, this damage will clearly affect the driving distance off of the tee.

The further result is significant damage to the golf ball’s core, which is designed to be ball’s energy source. Studies show that after just one week in the water, lake balls will lose 5 to 10 yards in driving distance off of the tee; after 3 months, the distance loss widens to 20 to 30 yards.

I agree - never but refurbished or refinished. I've been satisfied with the 5A recycled balls from Golf Balls Direct as well. Right now they have free ship for orders over $49.

My first preference is Kirkland new golf balls... but we are not near a Costco in the summar and I'm loathe to pay $6 for shipping, so my Plan B is A-rated used Titleists that I get at Walmart.($10 for 15 IIRC). They are a mix of Velocity, NXTs, etc. To be honest in play I don't notice much of a difference between them and new.

DW had a hole in one yesterday. The green was elevated so we could not see the ball go in. Instead, when we got to the green, we all looked for her ball beyond the green. We all assumed her ball went over the green and couldn't figure out how we can't find her seemingly good shot. After a few minutes, it clicked on me and DW to look into the hole for a possible miracle. And there it was! Now, it is my turn ... someday ....

I made a hole-in-one yesterday! It was during our weekly golf league event, and was my first hole-in-one. Prize money was over $400, and bar bill was over $100, so have enough left for a new putter!

The green was slightly elevated, and sloping back to front, so my foursome got to see the whole shot. We even heard the ball hit the flag stick before disappearing into the hole. I was so excited! It was like all the years of trying to hit the perfect shot had just happened.

Time to start trying for the double eagle! :dance:

Hey thanks guys!

It was my Ping 8-iron from 132 yards, slight uphill and hurt wind. About 3 yard draw, and landed about 5 feet short of pin and rolled in after hitting flag stick. So fun to watch!

I thought we would win the event easy, but we finished out of the money in fourth place. However, the celebration was great!

It was my Ping 8-iron from 132 yards, slight uphill and hurt wind.

Congratulations! Ping will send you a nice 'Hole-In-One' certificate if you send in the information, there's a form somewhere on their web site.

Last edited:
Hey thanks guys!

It was my Ping 8-iron from 132 yards, slight uphill and hurt wind. About 3 yard draw, and landed about 5 feet short of pin and rolled in after hitting flag stick. So fun to watch!

I thought we would win the event easy, but we finished out of the money in fourth place. However, the celebration was great!

that's awesome - last HIO I got cost me $350 :mad:

Amazon has a Father's day special on Srixon soft feel balls for 9.99 a dozen. Probably lots of other sales going on. So far have liked these balls a lot (my driver swing speed is unfortunately only 80 so far).

Just bought a new set of Callaway Rogue X irons and wedges to replace my ancient, but beloved, Ping Zing 2 set. Wow! Quite a difference in feel and results. Just what this hacker needs at 58. I also ordered 3 & 4 hybrids, but they're not here yet.

I bought them on Callaway Pre-Owned but they look like brand new. Great website to find Callaway [and other mfgs.] clubs - they will even adjust the Lie, Length and Grips for just a few bucks. (If you call them to order, they will do even more - like adjust clubs back to standard for free. Highly recommended to buy through their reps. They will save you money and help you get exactly what you want.)

I also sprung for a popup driving net on Amazon so I can spend the time to dial these in at home.

Last edited:
This may already be somewhere in this thread, but if you don't mind a scuff or two, here's the place to buy ProV1s and any other expensive golf balls for your weekly rounds: https://www.lostgolfballs.com

Went to a nice course today with a couple of old work buddies. We always play for a little fun money. I basically suck at golf, but a few bucks between friends is all good. So, I expect to pay out a little money, but today, I embarrassed myself on the front nine. Shot a 63. A few years ago I buckled down and broke 100 and since then I don’t recall a 60 for nine. Thankfully the back nine went a lot better. Couple pars and some better putting and I put up a 50. For me, breaking 100 on a new course plus this one being a bit tough, would be a good day. So, the 50 was pretty good. Just not sure how I can have two nines be so different on the same day. Oh well, it was a beautiful day here and was with good friends. I guess that’s a good day despite the 60+ front nine.

Went to a nice course today with a couple of old work buddies. We always play for a little fun money. I basically suck at golf, but a few bucks between friends is all good. So, I expect to pay out a little money, but today, I embarrassed myself on the front nine. Shot a 63. A few years ago I buckled down and broke 100 and since then I don’t recall a 60 for nine. Thankfully the back nine went a lot better. Couple pars and some better putting and I put up a 50. For me, breaking 100 on a new course plus this one being a bit tough, would be a good day. So, the 50 was pretty good. Just not sure how I can have two nines be so different on the same day. Oh well, it was a beautiful day here and was with good friends. I guess that’s a good day despite the 60+ front nine.

I’ve done that this year but on the same nine. The front nine was closed for aeration of the greens so we played the back nine twice. The back nine had been aerated two days earlier so putting was “interesting”. First time through I shot 60 and second time through I shot 48! I keep wondering what a third trip through would have brought me.

Just got my annual rejection notice for the 2020 Masters ticket lottery, guess they didn't want to ruin my streak, about 0-15 now.

Last edited:
Is this the right forum to ask about golf etiquette?
Beginner golf, no handicap cap. We play at a 9 hole course that seems to be for beginners to intermediates. We are slow due to bad hits, to many strokes and time looking for balls.
What is an approximate time to spend on a hole so we learn but don’t hold up other players?
Being rushed only makes us hit worse, and all players had to start at the beginning so don’t understand bad attitude players. One group hit balls on our fairway while we were looking for our balls! WTH!
Obviously we can let some groups play through but not everyone.
We get to the practice range 2 or 3 times a month, so we are practicing.

Just got my annual rejection notice for the 2020 Masters ticket lottery, guess they didn't want to ruin my streak, about 0-15 now.

+1 but I don't have as long a streak as you do. I wonder what the odds of being able to buy tickets are?

Is this the right forum to ask about golf etiquette?
Beginner golf, no handicap cap. We play at a 9 hole course that seems to be for beginners to intermediates. We are slow due to bad hits, to many strokes and time looking for balls.
What is an approximate time to spend on a hole so we learn but don’t hold up other players?
Being rushed only makes us hit worse, and all players had to start at the beginning so don’t understand bad attitude players. One group hit balls on our fairway while we were looking for our balls! WTH!
Obviously we can let some groups play through but not everyone.
We get to the practice range 2 or 3 times a month, so we are practicing.

My two cents, try to play when the course isn't crowded and be mindful of those behind you and let them play through. Ten minutes a hole should plenty and looking for a lost ball should be limited to a three minute time period. Most guys I play with, if you at double bogey, pick it up and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom