Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I started playing I used and still use the interlocking grip. Fiddled with the ten finger, baseball, grip the other day and it sure felt good. What are your thoughts about the three? Interlocking, overlapping and ten finger.

I hit the ball equally poorly with all 3. I use overlapping I think.

When I started playing I used and still use the interlocking grip. Fiddled with the ten finger, baseball, grip the other day and it sure felt good. What are your thoughts about the three? Interlocking, overlapping and ten finger.
I used the interlocking grip when I was a very young beginner. I switched to overlapping because I was taught it’s the preferred grip (by my Dad when I was about 13) - too late to question it.

IME it takes a lot time to get comfortable when switching from one to another. I know interlocking feels a little strange to me, and baseball feels very strange/unworkable to me because I’ve been overlapping for decades.

https://www.liveabout.com/types-of-golf-grips-1564427

There are three common and fundamentally sound ways of gripping the golf club.

The Vardon Overlap grip, sometimes called the Overlapping Grip, is the most common grip among great players.

The next most common grip is called the Interlock, or Interlocking. This grip is very popular on the LPGA Tour.

The Ten Finger grip, sometimes called the Baseball Grip, is the least preferred grip among teachers. It does, however, have its advantages.

Last edited:
Break 80

I read a link today that said one can break 80 by doing three things:

1. Hit 8 greens in regulation (likely four Par 5s + four other holes)
2. Have 33 putts or less.
3. Have nothing worse than bogey on any hole.

Thoughts?

Big_Hitter. I've seen you hit, much better then myself. And now that you are retired you'll have even more time to practice. If only it would quit raining or snowing or sleeting or whatever else nature wants to throw at us.

I know there are a few exceptions, but does it seem odd to you that PGA pros are mostly thumbing their noses at the USGA/R&A rule change encouraging all players to leave the pin in?

I wasn’t keen on the idea after 50+ years pulling the pin, but I adapted quickly, like 95% of the people I play with - incidentally mostly seniors who may be more resistant to change. I’m not sure it’s sped up play either - everyone still marks, cleans, walks all over to reads putts (even short ones), retrieves clubs - some (not enough) even repair ball marks.

Do you putt with the pin in these days?

Last edited:
Pin in.

I play too fast. To my own detriment. If I took more time reading putts it would knock some strokes off the card.

Big_Hitter. I've seen you hit, much better then myself. And now that you are retired you'll have even more time to practice. If only it would quit raining or snowing or sleeting or whatever else nature wants to throw at us.

let's try and play next week - I'm still really rusty and recovering from the flu - I have a tee time today but may bail since it's still really cold

last time I played was when Soltau almost nailed you teeing off #1 - he said he didn't know you were out that my bad for not warning him :eek:

OH, I GOT NEW GRIPS - golf pride g2 cobalt blue!

Thoughts?

I think they are saying: 8 GIR's equal 8 pars, 33 putts equal 3 up and down 1 putt pars, and bogeys on the other 7 holes equal 7 over par, thus 79 on a par 72 course.

Thoughts?
I think they are saying: 8 GIR's equal 8 pars, 33 putts equal 3 up and down 1 putt pars, and bogeys on the other 7 holes equal 7 over par, thus 79 on a par 72 course.
Pretty hard to argue with that logic!

.... Do you putt with the pin in these days?

Yes... pin in most of the time. IMO it does speed up play. We only take it out if the wind is blowing the pin or the pin's shadow back and forth enough that it is distracting or if the pin's shadow is right in the line, but we rarely take it out. While I've seen numerous instances where a bad put was helped by the pin I can only recall one instance where a good putt was hurt by the pin.

I’ve never had anyone waiting on me or the guys I golf with no matter what we do with the pin. Basically no set rule but we seem to leave it in for long puts and take it out as we get closer. I think speed of play is more out on the fairway (or I should say missed fairways) than it is on the putting green. If it’s not a sanctioned event, drop a ball and go. If your foursome cares, search for a minute and take your medicine if you don’t find the ball. Play ready golf, even on the green. Still ends up being plenty of time to concentrate on your putt.

I know there are a few exceptions, but does it seem odd to you that PGA pros are mostly thumbing their noses at the USGA/R&A rule change encouraging all players to leave the pin in?

Don't think the intent of the rule was to encourage PGA tour players to leave the flag in, might speed up play for the rest of us but not much of a time saver if you have caddies around to pull the flag. The groups I play with leave it in.

Break 80

Thoughts?
If you're thinking about and keeping track of all that during your round you'll be lucky to break 90.

Interlocking. My first attempts were baseball, since that was my original stick sport. Had a few group lessons and we spent like two days doing nothing but grip. The teacher was good, it stuck.

I ain't changing now.

Don't think the intent of the rule was to encourage PGA tour players to leave the flag in, might speed up play for the rest of us but not much of a time saver if you have caddies around to pull the flag. The groups I play with leave it in.

If you're thinking about and keeping track of all that during your round you'll be lucky to break 90.

I've been tracking stats for a long time now. It's become a habit and doesn't distract me from playing. It might throw off someone trying it for the first time.

Learned with interlocking grip, went to baseball/10-finger for while, then back to interlocking... more comfortable for me.

I've got my 1st ever hole-in-one today after almost 10 years of playing golf. I can die now without any regret.

Our group leaves the pin in 95% of the time. Occasionally it will lean towards the putter and it is usually pulled then.

I've got my 1st ever hole-in-one today after almost 10 years of playing golf. I can die now without any regret.
Congrats! A surreal feeling I’m sure.

Someone on the golf channel was postulating there’s no equivalent to a hole in one, a perfect shot, in any other sport.

Last edited:
Perhaps a 300 game or 900 series in bowling.
Good one, I hadn’t thought of that, and neither did the Golf Channel guys.

And we should probably value an albatross as a greater accomplishment than a (par 3) hole in one.

Last edited:
Do you putt with the pin in these days?

I and the group I primarily play with do. We rarely take it out; for example, if the first one putting makes it on their first shot they might take it out to retrieve the ball if that is not slowing others down, and hold it while the others putt.

Congrats! Still waiting on my first one. I have come close twice in the last month (within a foot and 2nd bounce off the flag stick) but no cigar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom