Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #1661
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I was actually thinking of that too.
PB-

I’d invite you over but, it’s a bit of a ‘commute’ to get here. I think it might eat into your $18 savings.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2018, 03:46 AM   #1662
Recycles dryer sheets

Time to replace my irons. I’m thinking Taylormade M4 irons. Does anyone play them? How do you like them? I’ve see many Youtube reviews, but I would value an opinion from someone my age.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:31 AM   #1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubill View Post
Time to replace my irons. I’m thinking Taylormade M4 irons. Does anyone play them? How do you like them? I’ve see many Youtube reviews, but I would value an opinion from someone my age.
Never tried them but I'm sure they are decent irons, all the major manufacturers make good clubs. If I was spending decent money for a new set of clubs I would definitely try them out first and go through a fitting. Many golf clubs hold demo days where you can try a manufacturers clubs out and get fitted for free. Even if you have to pay a few $'s to get fitted it's worth it. One of my regular golfing partners just received a new set of Titleist 718 MB irons as a gift from his son, they were purchased off the shelf. Really nice irons ($1700 for a set of 7 irons) but I've played enough golf with him and can tell the irons are not fitted properly for him. I can sense his frustration and wouldn't be surprised to see his old set back in the bag soon. I'm trying to convince him go and get fitted and replace the shafts if needed, it would be worth the cost.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:12 AM   #1664
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just curious, does anyone on this forum play Maltby clubs ? I play the TE irons and various Maltby wedges. IMO, they make really good stuff and are alot cheaper than the OEMS (when buying new).
Old 11-14-2018, 12:31 PM   #1665

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Just curious, does anyone on this forum play Maltby clubs ? I play the TE irons and various Maltby wedges. IMO, they make really good stuff and are alot cheaper than the OEMS (when buying new).
I've played lots of different component brands as I used to like building my own clubs. The TE irons are a really nice set.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #1666

Driving to Snainton (UK) to try out the new Ping Sigma 2 putters tomorrow. Also hoping to buy a pair of Ecco shoes if they prove to be comfortable enough. I think I might even buy a box of Wilson DX3 balls for cold weather....started playing the Callaway supersoft with the cooler weather.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #1667

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
Driving to Snainton (UK) to try out the new Ping Sigma 2 putters tomorrow.
I have the Ping Sigma Tyne putter and really like it, the head is well balanced, helps me to keep the ball on line.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:52 PM   #1668

Played yesterday in Marin County (just north of SF & a couple hours south of the fires). The air conditions were rated as “unhealthy” and a few of our guys wore face masks. Nice day otherwise.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:26 AM   #1669
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree, it's best to be fitted. Last set I bought was 10 years ago. Steel shafts and lie angle adjustments were made then. I don't have the same swing speed as I did then.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #1670
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I went with graphite shafts on a set of Ping G irons I purchased earlier this year. Seems a perfect fit for my aging swing.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #1671
Give me a forum ...

well I'm visiting my parents and one of my old golf buddies and I went out to the range yesterday

he's about 10 years younger than I and has been training using swing sticks and a swing speed gauge

so I started warming up and he wanted me to hit a ball with my old adams redline driver with the gauge

now I tried my best to use my normal (easy) swing and much to my surprise I ripped off 100, 101 and 100 mph

he got me to do the training exercises and i ripped one at 103

i'll take 100mph STRAIGHT all day long - not bad for a 55 year old fat guy
Old 11-15-2018, 10:04 AM   #1672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
well I'm visiting my parents and one of my old golf buddies and I went out to the range yesterday

he's about 10 years younger than I and has been training using swing sticks and a swing speed gauge

so I started warming up and he wanted me to hit a ball with my old adams redline driver with the gauge

now I tried my best to use my normal (easy) swing and much to my surprise I ripped off 100, 101 and 100 mph

he got me to do the training exercises and i ripped one at 103

i'll take 100mph STRAIGHT all day long - not bad for a 55 year old fat guy
So that's where you got your name Big_Hitter!!

I used to swing in that range, but went to a different shaft, reduced swing speed, and took some pressure off of my shoulders. I am actually hitting my drives as far or farther with this change- who would have guessed that!

Best to you,

VW
Old 11-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #1673
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
So that's where you got your name Big_Hitter!!
something like that - i have an old set of clubs at my folks and the redline has a stock stiff shaft in it so it's a bit whippy

my regular driver (wilson triton) has an adila rogue silver xstiff in it
Old 11-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #1674

Quote:
something like that - i have an old set of clubs at my folks and the redline has a stock stiff shaft in it so it's a bit whippy

my regular driver (wilson triton) has an adila rogue silver xstiff in it
Sounds right for your swing speed!
Old 11-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #1675

Quote:

BH-what brand?
Old 11-15-2018, 10:55 AM   #1676
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
BH-what brand?
https://superspeedgolf.com/
Old 11-15-2018, 11:39 AM   #1677
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I went with graphite shafts on a set of Ping G irons I purchased earlier this year. Seems a perfect fit for my aging swing.
Dawg, what flex did you get the graphite shafts in? I bought a Cobra Max hybrid earlier this year to replace the 4 iron and tried both senior and regular flex. On the simulator, I had the best results with the regular flex. With the senior flex my shots were pulled left and very high.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:18 PM   #1678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I'm still hitting steel shafts on the irons- afraid to change to graphite with unknown results. I should hit them at the range, but I seldom go there anymore. It is a fine line between warming it up and wearing it out.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:35 AM   #1679

Up in Scottsdale AZ this week and visited the TopGolf facility at Talking Stick Resort, it was a lot of fun. They run a weekday morning special form 9-12, $15 per person for as long as you want in that 3 hour window. They have big circular targets out in the field and the monitor in your bay tells you if/where you hit in the target and gives you the distance for each shot. Great way to practice and have fun with your partner or even by yourself. They have many different games you can select and play and it keeps score for you, just need to relax and hit balls. Will definitely be back.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:29 AM   #1680
Give me a forum ...

With the talk above, has anyone ever done a personal WITB on this thread? FWIW

In my OGIO Silencer bag:
CALLAWAY Rogue 10.5° & 3W 15°
MIZUNO CLK Hybrid 3 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10 & 60.06
EVNROLL ER2
SNELL MTB Black

HI (USGA): 14 unfortunately, (much) higher than many here. I blame my age...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Closed Thread