Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m thinking of new grips. What things need to be considered? I have my original Ping grips but thinking I’d like something a bit larger in the hand and maybe I little softer and stickier. Do they fit grips like they do clubs? What’s a fair price for installation? Just don’t want to go into the store without some background information. Thanks.

if your grips are more than 2 seasons old you definitely need good grips - things to consider:

size of grip - like Midpack said there are 3 sizes, i use regular mid size - lots of older guys use jumbo grips due to arthritis
tackiness - how tacky or slick do you like your grips, do you need corded grips due to humidity?
age of current grips - ideally you should regrip every season - it's about the least expensive thing you can do to improve your game
DIY - I've done several sets of grips and it's kind of a PITA and messy - well worth it to have a shop do it for $2 per - kind of like cleaning a goose :eek:

more info here - https://www.lamkingrips.com/choosing-the-perfect-golf-grip/

I've used lamkin grips - I used to use crosslines exclusively but I like the g2 tour wraps better

https://www.lamkingrips.com/product-category/swinging-grips/

Last edited:
Okay, you convinced me! By the way I played the back nine again on Saturday. Was again at 36 after eight holes, but this time kept the ball dry and two putted for par! 40. Just think what new grips could do :)

Okay, you convinced me! By the way I played the back nine again on Saturday. Was again at 36 after eight holes, but this time kept the ball dry and two putted for par! 40. Just think what new grips could do :)

nice playing! - John and I both made big numbers on 18 friday, destroying what would have been 2 decent rounds lol

they have a nice selection of grips in stock at the shop - 20% off too

age of current grips - ideally you should regrip every season - it's about the least expensive thing you can do to improve your game.
I change mine every 1-2 seasons, agreed its money well spent.

It helps a lot to clean your grips every once in a while, especially in Summer when sweat is more of a factor. I do mine a couple times a year. Just scrub lightly with soap and water, rinse thoroughly, dry and let them air dry for at least 24 hours. Only caveat, not a huge deal but it’s a good idea to keep the clubs grip down (heads elevated) the entire time to avoid any water going down the shaft and sitting at the bottom of the hosel.

Fortunately we don’t have to guess - evidently they’re about equal difficulty for an average player. One of several sources...

So then a pertect series of 900 is definitely a bigger accomplishment than a HIO... perhaps similar to an albatross in golf.

I got new grips last season and went from regular to mid-size... no particularly noticible difference.... may go with jumbos next time (and I don't have big hands0.

For the DIY golf grip changer Golfworks usually has some good discounts, just got this email today (buy 6 midsize Superstroke grips get six free). They are good grips, I have then on my clubs now, equivalent to Golf Pride Tour Velvet that I've used in the past.

https://www.golfworks.com/super-str...st&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ST0065F-Sale

If you don't want to change the grips yourself ask around, there's likely someone in your playing groups that will be willing to help you out. I've been changing my own grips for as long as I can remember and happy to do it for my friends. It doesn't require any exotic or expensive tools for grip removal/install.

Golf Push Cart

I searched this thread and found one recommendation for a push cart.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/golf-talk-tuesdays-78866-85.html#post2144637

I got permanent status on the league I sub’d in last year and I’m thinking of walking (it’s only 9 holes) and looking for a push cart. Anyone have any other cart that I should take a look at? Found a few on Costco, but they have a foot break and I’m guessing that would work worse than a hand break up top. Any other features I should look at such as three wheels versus four?

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/golf-talk-tuesdays-78866-85.html#post2144637

I got permanent status on the league I sub’d in last year and I’m thinking of walking (it’s only 9 holes) and looking for a push cart. Anyone have any other cart that I should take a look at? Found a few on Costco, but they have a foot break and I’m guessing that would work worse than a hand break up top. Any other features I should look at such as three wheels versus four?
That’s my recommendation and I still stand by it. It’s more expensive than a basic cart, but it you plan to walk a lot it’s worth it IMO.
  • Four wheels is more stable than three, but three “steers” easier - I prefer three.
  • A hand brake is more convenient but I rarely use mine. Don’t need it on level ground of course, and when I’m on a hill I just orient the cart sidehill so I don’t need the brake. Only use the brake occasionally.
  • Just make sure you have good storage for balls, tees, water bottle, head covers, etc. so you don’t have to fish everything out of your bag.
  • And I’m sure you realize a “cart bag” has the pockets and metal woods on the wrong side for a push cart.

From my favorite golf website https://mygolfspy.com/best-push-cart-of-2019/

Last edited:
I've been using pushcarts for many years, started with a Clicgear, still have it but it required a lot of maintenance over the years, the lower aluminum struts on both of the back wheels snapped and had to replace the tires and brake cable.

Picked up an almost new Sun Mountain V1 cart on craigslist a few years ago for $50, the original tires were tubed and not a good choice for desert golfing, too many prickly things. Replaced the tires with foam and that worked much better. Terrible brake design, the brake cable is under stress when the brake is off (~99% of the time in my case), had to replace the cable 3 times over the years. Had to replace the handle pivot assemble because the plastic gear had worn down. The front tire wobbles and now needs to be replaced. The cart does roll better than the Clicgear IMO.

Instead of dumping money into fixing one of the old ones picked up a new cart a couple months ago, a CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8. So far I like it a lot, better than both the Clicgear and Sun Mountain IMO, rolls very nice, seems well made, has better storage compartments, and is cheaper (paid $150 on sale). It does have a foot brake but for me that's a plus, I rarely use it and will never have to worry about needing to replace a brake cable. The only unknown is how well it will hold up over time.

Last edited:
I've been down in The Villages since December, playing 2x week on regular length 18 hole courses, and once or twice/ week on the short executive 9 hole courses. Last year i hit a lot of practice range sessions, but this year, because I've been playing pickleball, I haven't been hitting the range at all.
Counterintuitively, my ball striking has taken a turn for the better. In the last 8 weeks I have been wearing out the sweet spot on my irons. In the last 4 weeks I have had 4 hole-outs from the fairway for eagles. I am sure it won't last, but it has been fun.
My putting is sometimes good, sometimes bad. Last week I made 3 birdies in a row, something I don't think I've ever done in my life.
Somedays my putting is not so great. We play different courses all the time, and the speeds of the greens vary wildly. Two days a go I was on a par 5 in two, perfect little 15 footer up the hill for an eagle. I 4 putted for a smooth bogey. Such is golf.

I just got 2 of these

https://dollardriverclub.com/products/ddc-ultimate-golf-towel

image2_1200x.jpeg

Finally broke 90 today (first time since I restarted golf), but what a wild ride. Was doing OK until a huge blowup on hole 13, at which point I figured I was done. But my last 5 holes went par, par, par, bogey, and then a final par needing a 10 foot putt, so I squeaked in with an 89.

I have a Bag Boy and it's great . Clic Gear and Sun Mountain get great reviews, too.

Finally broke 90 today (first time since I restarted golf), but what a wild ride. Was doing OK until a huge blowup on hole 13, at which point I figured I was done. But my last 5 holes went par, par, par, bogey, and then a final par needing a 10 foot putt, so I squeaked in with an 89.

Nice! I’ve yet to get into the eighties. I’ll keep trying :D

good job!

Well done. Any new milestone in golf makes for a great day, and making a 10 footer to "squeak in" is impressive -you're ready for the pro tour. ;)

Super excited! Just booked some tee times in Puerto Rico for later this month:
  • Costa Caribe GCC
  • Dorado Beach - Sugercane Course
  • Royal Isabella
  • Cocoa Beach GC - Championship Course
  • and Palmas Athletic Club (we have to book when we get there).
We have room for one more round. I'm thinking the Dorado East Course (if we can get on) or El Conquistador (if it's open/I doubt it). Punta Borinquen is another option.
Can you suggest any other courses on the island that shouldn't be missed?

found a new way to sandbag - I just play the forward tees

the new handicapping rules use course rating now in the course handicap calculation resulting in quite a disparity in course handicap among tees

for example, I'm an 18 off the blue tees, where we play most of our tournaments, a 15 off whites (old man tips) and an 11 off gold (old man tees). I'm also a 22 off the real tips. However, I normally shoot around the same score off the gold due to either short game failure or hitting a driver instead of a hybrid or iron off the golds. A buddy and I played the gold tees friday and I posted an 87 and he posted a 78 (he was a 7 off the golds) so we will see how this goes. I played with the senior group Wednesday and posted a 90 off the whites.

Last edited:
But isn't it the opposite of sandbagging? Let's say your average score is 87 and on any given day you shoot 87 from the whites or from the golds.

Off the white tees you would be net 72, but of the golds you would be net 76... so how are you sandbagging by hitting from the golds?

FWIW, at my home course I score about the same from the whites or the golds.

I doubt this approach to sandbagging will work. I believe over time your average score will be less on the shorter tees.

I noticed on the course I play Friday, and a couple I drove by during the weekend, a lot of golfers riding by themselves in carts, in threesomes and foursomes. It looks like courses are now not forcing people to share a golf cart due to the coronavirus situation. I would think this would improve the pace of play.

I noticed on the course I play Friday, and a couple I drove by during the weekend, a lot of golfers riding by themselves in carts, in threesomes and foursomes. It looks like courses are now not forcing people to share a golf cart due to the coronavirus situation. I would think this would improve the pace of play.

I'd be willing to pay a few bucks extra to do this. Especially if I was playing as a single and paired up with people I don't know.

People sharing a cart that hit all over the place and don't plan correctly can be horrendously slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom