Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got my 1st ever hole-in-one today after almost 10 years of playing golf. I can die now without any regret.

Congratulations! Haven’t even come close myself. I’m sure it was great and will not be forgotten. Hope the bar tab wasn’t too big :D.

Good one, I hadn’t thought of that, and neither did the Golf Channel guys.

And we should probably value an albatross as a greater accomplishment than a (par 3) hole in one.

Yes, absolutely 3-under par trumps 2-under par.... like a 900 series trumps a 300 game.

My wife had a hole in one after playing for 14 months. Twelve years later I have had one eagle, but never an ace.

I've putted for eagle a few times.... most were long putts but one was about 10'... untortunately I missed it (and no.. I didn't leave it short).

But there is nothing wrong with a tap-in birdie.

My wife had a hole in one after playing for 14 months. Twelve years later I have had one eagle, but never an ace.
My hole in one was after about 3 years playing golf, and I haven't had another hole in one in the 52 years since... :confused:

Can't play that early today, but will be out there later to feed Mallory (the duck) and to get nine holes in. Always thank you for the invitation.

Can't play that early today, but will be out there later to feed Mallory (the duck) and to get nine holes in. Always thank you for the invitation.

I walked and carried my clubs yesterday I feel like i've been hit by a truck lol

made a bunch of pars but hit a bunch of really terrible shots - it's still early...

I'll throw this out to the forum. Does anyone get knee pain when walking downhill? My self diagnosis is IT band tightness. It only occurs on the outside of my left knee. I am right handed so also wondered about the turn/pivot of the swing adding to the issue. Taking a cart alleviates the issue so I doubt it is the swing/turn.

Started baseball grip for first 20+ years of playing since I played baseball. Switched to overlap 15-20 years ago. Carried a club around holding that grip during the winter to get myself used to the feel.

Most people I've played with leave the pin in but there are still a few hold outs.

My 11 year old son had a hole in one at a junior tournament 18 years ago. I'm still waiting :( DW and I are playing a nice par 3 course today. 18 more tries - maybe this will be the day!

I'll throw this out to the forum. Does anyone get knee pain when walking downhill? My self diagnosis is IT band tightness. It only occurs on the outside of my left knee. I am right handed so also wondered about the turn/pivot of the swing adding to the issue. Taking a cart alleviates the issue so I doubt it is the swing/turn.

I hike some and don't get much pain. I was discussing this with my GP once and he said to walk downhill on a zigzag path. Would help to take some stress off the knee. I rarely remember to tho. As far as golf goes....I ride. ;) BTW....I take daily glucosamine chondroitin with msm and hardly ever have knee pain anymore. Ymmv.

I know from many hours of hiking that you definitely place a lot more force on the knees when going downhill, the tendency is to take longer strides but I've found taking a shorter stride helps. Doing some exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knee wouldn't hurt.

Played two quick rounds of nine holes both yesterday and today. Both days was at 36 after eight holes. Triple bogied the ninth hole both days, second shot into the pond and three putted. I should learn when to quit.

Played two quick rounds of nine holes both yesterday and today. Both days was at 36 after eight holes. Triple bogied the ninth hole both days, second shot into the pond and three putted. I should learn when to quit.

that's still great playing - those last 3 holes on the back are difficult. I think I finished up 6 5 4 yesterday- I hit my approach sideways into the creek on 16 pulled out of the shot :mad:

OH, I GOT NEW GRIPS - golf pride g2 cobalt blue!

I’m thinking of new grips. What things need to be considered? I have my original Ping grips but thinking I’d like something a bit larger in the hand and maybe I little softer and stickier. Do they fit grips like they do clubs? What’s a fair price for installation? Just don’t want to go into the store without some background information. Thanks.

I’m thinking of new grips. What things need to be considered? I have my original Ping grips but thinking I’d like something a bit larger in the hand and maybe I little softer and stickier. Do they fit grips like they do clubs? What’s a fair price for installation? Just don’t want to go into the store without some background information. Thanks.

Here's one starting point below. As far as price is concerned, it varies quite a bit depending where you live. At my club they will do it for you around $10 per grip including a basic grip. A friend of mine had a grip installed at Pro-Golf and they charged $25 each. I install my own. Really not much to it.

https://www.golfpride.com/fit/

They do fit grips. There are a couple sizes (junior, std, midsize, jumbo?), but number of wraps of tape under the grip bridge the differences. IIRC a standard grip with 4-5 wraps of tape is the same as a midsize grip. My grips have 3 wraps of tape under.

There are dozens of types, soft, firm, tacky, less tacky, (synthetic) rubber, leather, corded, ribbed, etc. Like most things you get what you pay for.

It’s an easy DIY job but it’s messy, so I pay to have it done. Most of the cost is the grip itself ($5-$15/ea), most shops add about $2/grip above the cost of the grip to do it for you. Some shops price including labor to do it for you just ask to be sure. New grips is a good thing.

https://golftips.golfweek.com/size-golf-clubs-need-2398.html

https://www.golf.com/gear/accessories/2020/01/17/larger-golf-grip-tape-wraps-fully-equipped/

Last edited:
Congrats! A surreal feeling I’m sure.

Someone on the golf channel was postulating there’s no equivalent to a hole in one, a perfect shot, in any other sport.

Nothing perfect about a hole in one. It's as much luck as skill. I played with a guy who got a HIO on a 150 yard par 3. Skulled the shot and it rolled all the way to the green and in. Saw my wife do the same from the FW for eagle ,175 yards out, worm burner all the way into the cup. I've holed a few from 100-150 off the FW and never felt like I did anything special. It takes a nice shot to get it close, after that it's up to the golf gods.

I'd say both of those are harder than a HIO. You have to throw 12 perfect shots in a 300 game compared to one for a HIO.
Fortunately we don’t have to guess - evidently they’re about equal difficulty for an average player. One of several sources...
Golf Digest hired a retired chairman of the Math. Dept. at Boston U. to calculate the odds of a hole in one using the "best available" data. Some results:
# Tour player making an ace: 3,000 to 1
# Low-handicapper making an ace: 5,000 to 1
# Average player making an ace: 12,000 to 1
Source: http://golf.about.com/od/faqs/f/holeinoneodds.htm
The odds of an adult male bowling a perfect game are 1 in 11,500. Source: http://www.newsday.com/sports/highschool/ny-skhsco...
If these two sources are correct, the odds of a golf ace vs. a perfect game of bowling are about the same for the "average" player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom