Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
But isn't it the opposite of sandbagging? Let's say your average score is 87 and on any given day you shoot 87 from the whites or from the golds.

Off the white tees you would be net 72, but of the golds you would be net 76... so how are you sandbagging by hitting from the golds?

FWIW, at my home course I score about the same from the whites or the golds.

yes, playing gold tees should increase my index, significantly

I noticed on the course I play Friday, and a couple I drove by during the weekend, a lot of golfers riding by themselves in carts, in threesomes and foursomes. It looks like courses are now not forcing people to share a golf cart due to the coronavirus situation. I would think this would improve the pace of play.

5 guys 5 carts - that's golf baby!

I doubt this approach to sandbagging will work. I believe over time your average score will be less on the shorter tees.

we get daily revisions now and my index has already started to increase

Did read an article on the new handicap system that stated it will benefit the lower handicap player more in match/net play events, stating the lower handicapper will be given less strokes to his higher handicap opponent then he would have in the old system. The thinking was the old system benefited the higher handicap player too much.

Did read an article on the new handicap system that stated it will benefit the lower handicap player more in match/net play events, stating the lower handicapper will be given less strokes to his higher handicap opponent then he would have in the old system. The thinking was the old system benefited the higher handicap player too much.

I believe the old system did benefit the higher handicap player. I use to play in an annual two day tournament with about 40 players. My handicap ranged from 4 to 6 and I didn't have a chance in h*ll against the 20 to 30 handicap crowd. Each year I would have had to shoot 72 to 74 each day in order to win. Only twice did a player win with a low handicap over 10 years.

The Boise Parks and Recreation closed all of their offices and sites including two golf courses in town. I hoped the courses would not be touched, but assume that they are trying to be consistent across all their sites. Bummer as one is a really fun course five minutes from my house. Many others are still open :)

I believe the old system did benefit the higher handicap player. I use to play in an annual two day tournament with about 40 players. My handicap ranged from 4 to 6 and I didn't have a chance in h*ll against the 20 to 30 handicap crowd. Each year I would have had to shoot 72 to 74 each day in order to win. Only twice did a player win with a low handicap over 10 years.

That's my experience to, not unusual to see a high handicapper with a net score 6-7 strokes under par, of course a lot of them do meet the definition of sandbagging. Not so sure this new handicap system will fix that problem.

The Boise Parks and Recreation closed all of their offices and sites including two golf courses in town. I hoped the courses would not be touched, but assume that they are trying to be consistent across all their sites. Bummer as one is a really fun course five minutes from my house. Many others are still open :)
I was looking forward to playing golf while we're all practicing social distancing, but my regular course-league play was just suspended for 2 weeks. And I just got a new driver shaft from a Club Champion fitting that I'm dying to try out. Bummer...

That's my experience to, not unusual to see a high handicapper with a net score 6-7 strokes under par, of course a lot of them do meet the definition of sandbagging. Not so sure this new handicap system will fix that problem.

Sandbagging aside, it's generally easier for a higher handicap to go lower than a more consistent low handicap. I don't track my handicap but I'd guess I'm somewhere around 14. I have a good swing but I'm inconsistent. The bulk of my games are around 88 - 90 with 2- 4 triples, sometimes as high as 100 on a bad day. But on a good day I'll break 80.

Last fall in an informal work tournament I shot 83 on a very hard course (with an 8 on an easy par 4) and the winner (4 handicap) won with an 80. The previous day I shot 96 on a much easier course.

I always felt like it worked fine ,especially one on one. But in any tournament there's likely to be more high hdcp golfers than low ones and it only takes one to have a good round and that's it they're going to win. It's a lot easier for a 20 hdcp to shoot in the 80's than a scratch golfer shooting 64. I would think if you had a tournament with 100 players 50/50 high and low hdcps, while a high hdcp would likely win, more low cap guys would be in the top 20. Especially if the tournament is more than one round.

Sandbagging aside, it's generally easier for a higher handicap to go lower than a more consistent low handicap. I don't track my handicap but I'd guess I'm somewhere around 14. I have a good swing but I'm inconsistent. The bulk of my games are around 88 - 90 with 2- 4 triples, sometimes as high as 100 on a bad day. But on a good day I'll break 80.

Last fall in an informal work tournament I shot 83 on a very hard course (with an 8 on an easy par 4) and the winner (4 handicap) won with an 80. The previous day I shot 96 on a much easier course.

i played golds again today and started out with 2 doubles, all terrible short game shots - then I birdied two holes in a row finished with 3 birdies and a 40

back 9 I had a good side going to I decided to hit an iron off the tee on the last 4 holes - finished 6 over on the last 4 for a 44 with 3 penalty strokes

that 84 converted into a 17 index or something on GHIN

Breaking 80 as a 14 handicap is pretty good. I never broke 80 until I reached about a 10.

Breaking 80 as a 14 handicap is pretty good. I never broke 80 until I reached about a 10.
But the stars do align every once in a while. My 12-15 HI is about the same as Music's guestimate and my recent history breaking 80 is:

• 2017- twice 77 & 79
  • 2018- zip
  • 2019- once 79
  • 2020- not yet (two 82's so far...)
Reminds me of a fav golf quote I heard Paul Goydos share - I'm too inconsistent to be bad all the time.

So many different type players in a certain hdcp range. You have the guy who has a solid game but just can't putt (raises hand), if he has a lucky putting day he can go low for his hdcp. Other guys who maybe spray it a lot. Since they maybe play a tight course their hdcp is high. Put them on a wide open links course and they can score. And on and on.

The score by itself is not a good comparison unless you also include the course rating from the tees being played. There can easily be a >7 stroke difference on most golf courses when playing from the forward tees and the tips. At my home course the tips are 7200yds but they also have a way forward tee of 4500yds, a 12 stroke difference in the course rating. I would look at an 84 from the tips as a better score than a 75 from the forward tees.

The score by itself is not a good comparison unless you also include the course rating from the tees being played. There can easily be a >7 stroke difference on most golf courses when playing from the forward tees and the tips. At my home course the tips are 7200yds but they also have a way forward tee of 4500yds, a 12 stroke difference in the course rating. I would look at an 84 from the tips as a better score than a 75 from the forward tees.

So true, 100% dependent on course and tees. For me, I remember in 2012 after hardly playing for about two years due to an elbow injury my average index was 11.8 and my average score was 14.1 and I never broke 80 that year.

So many different type players in a certain hdcp range. You have the guy who has a solid game but just can't putt (raises hand), if he has a lucky putting day he can go low for his hdcp. Other guys who maybe spray it a lot. Since they maybe play a tight course their hdcp is high. Put them on a wide open links course and they can score. And on and on.

I've taken a few lessons...my instructor claims that my good swings are "very good". Most rounds I'll land 2 or 3 full iron shots inside 10 feet. I usually string 5 - 6 holes at even par every round. What does me in are a few wild shots, chunked chips, and occasional inconsistent putting.

It's quite common for me to play 6 holes 1 over par, then go 3 off the tee, miss the green, chunk a chip, then 3 putt for a quad. Then make a couple doubles. Then play the next 3 holes even followed by a triple, etc...

Has your golfing been impacted by the virus? Not much change at my course except closing down the 19th hole, I always walk but now they don't insist that riders pair up in golf carts, seems like play has sped up a little.

The club I play at the majority of the time is still open and trying to do all the right things. My only limitation is a knee injury that is finally feeling better.

Boise has two public courses and I saw yesterday that they had reopened one. I do not know why only one. The course that is still closed is the more interesting of the two and five minutes from my house. Dang it.

The governors have shut everything down in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. No golf for me. A quick golf now search yields one course open for walking in Delaware.

The club I play at the majority of the time is still open and trying to do all the right things. My only limitation is a knee injury that is finally feeling better.

Boise has two public courses and I saw yesterday that they had reopened one. I do not know why only one. The course that is still closed is the more interesting of the two and five minutes from my house. Dang it.

probably because quail is much more difficult than warm dump lol

the senior group has me walking and carrying my clubs again - I think i've lost 20 pounds?

Courses in Maryland are closed, but they are still open in Virginia.

Course in county closed, the one on base is still open. What they have done is put pieces of swim noodles around pin so ball goes in ~ 1/2 inch, easy to get out and no touching pins, Took all rakes away, smooth bunker with feet and told not to use ball washers... Blowing like a hurricane last Sunday and broke 80 (78) for first time in long time!!! Played really good, 10 1 putts , 2 birds and penalty for hitting one in water... So this Sunday i'll go out with EXPECTATIONS, that will kill me and i'll be back to low 80's again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has your golfing been impacted by the virus? Not much change at my course except closing down the 19th hole, I always walk but now they don't insist that riders pair up in golf carts, seems like play has sped up a little.

Courses are closed here in Mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom