Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Courses are all closed here in California.

I was already in the middle of a 5 week rest plan due to severe elbow pain. Rest 3 weeks, cortisone shot, rest another 2 weeks. My time is up and I'm ready to go, but now no golf courses.

Has your golfing been impacted by the virus? Not much change at my course except closing down the 19th hole, I always walk but now they don't insist that riders pair up in golf carts, seems like play has sped up a little.
I’m jealous. My regular club closed completely Monday before last (3/16), no reopen date. I miss golf, thought I’d be able to continue since social distancing is largely built in. And I just got a new driver shaft I’m dying to try out!

Last edited:
Four of us played today... first time ever with a separate cart for each guy... we played in 3:28. Cups were down where we play today but where I played a couple days ago at a different course and the cups were 1/2" above the level of the green. Some courses have taken out ball washers, others not. Some still have water on the course, others not.
All have removed rakes.

And now we are closed with the Idaho governor's stay at home edict for the next 21 days. Bummer for golf. Bigger bummer for all those whose jobs are hurt.

Played 9 today with my neighbor(separate carts). If our course remains open I plan to play with him or by myself for the next few weeks. Will miss my big golfing group but going to safe.

Oh wait. And now we are open on a limited basis and the tee sheet is quite full for the next week. The clubhouse is not open, no staff, carts, water, etc. I am going to wait to play.

Yep. Closed in Marin County too. :(

Not all of California. My course in San Luis Obispo county is still open. They went all in on protection early. Pulled the rakes, ballwashers, etc off the course. One person per cart. Sanitize pull and drive carts after every use. Clubhouse closed, have to call to check in. Also raised the cup up an inch above ground so you don't have to reach in to get your ball, it just bounces off.

Even with all that, I am waiting this out. Played a time or two early on but was too weird.

Pulled the rakes, ballwashers, etc off the course. One person per cart. Sanitize pull and drive carts after every use. Clubhouse closed, have to call to check in. Also raised the cup up an inch above ground so you don't have to reach in to get your ball, it just bounces off.

Sounds similar to what they are doing here in Arizona, I think most of the courses here are still open, at least the ones I'm familiar with are. I'm still playing 3X/week, my usual schedule.

Similar here...but rather than raise the cup they put a short ~2" length of 1 1/2" pvc pipe or a swimming noodle in the hole so the ball can go in the hole but doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the cup.... you can retrieve your ball without touching the pin or cup (just squeeze it between your fingers.

Even though there is a stay-home order starting at midnight tonight they will allow people to get outside and walk, jog, hunt and fish... and golf with appropriate social distancing (one golfer per cart, no ball washers or sand trap rakes, don't touch the pins, etc.).

that's what they did at my course, noodles. cup raised would be kinda cheating just hit sh1t out of ball...

Yea... someone claimed that you should not post scores from where the cup is raised because a rimmer would be declared as holed.

Hallelujah, my regular course reopened, with stipulations - but I’ll take it. I don’t think I could handle walking 18 (hilly course with some greens>next tee well apart), but I can handle 9. Playing tomorrow!

...will now offer limited golf services with social distancing compliant guidelines starting Saturday, March 28. The pro shop will be closed to the public but staff will begin accepting tee times for golfers by telephone ONLY. Golfers will check-in on the back patio, will need to walk the course as carts will not be available, and should observe social distancing guidelines, maintaining six feet of separation from others, and not congregating in groups. Golf course fees must be paid with a debit or credit card. It will be mandatory to leave the flagstick in during play and cups have been altered to ensure safe-handling of ball retrieval. The driving range will also be available for use, but no more than 10 people will be allowed at a time. Tavern at the Turn will offer a limited menu for call ahead orders/pick-up food with payments by credit card only.

From the above article:

“Spring is a critical time for turfgrass,” the letter reads. “If turfgrass is lost, many courses may face permanent closure. Turfgrass cannot be neglected for extended periods of time.”

If courses are not opening some of them may not have the financial means to maintain the course, even if proper precautions are taken.

Also, up here the bulk of golf season is May to September. They have just 5 months to earn enough to last them until the next year. Losing a couple months of revenue will be a death sentence for some courses.

We just got back from an enjoyable round with a another couple... DW and I in one cart and him and his DW in another. This course didn't remove their ball washers... just put a black plastic bag over them. Cups had pool noodle pieces in them so when the ball was in the cup the top of the ball was about even with the green.

Practice green cups were filled with noodle so only ~1/2" was below the surface of the green.

Thankful that we can get out and get some air and exercise.

No golf courses allowed to be open in Illinois. Missouri courses are open with some precautions so I have been crossing state lines to play some golf with my son.

From the above article:

If courses are not opening some of them may not have the financial means to maintain the course, even if proper precautions are taken.

Also, up here the bulk of golf season is May to September. They have just 5 months to earn enough to last them until the next year. Losing a couple months of revenue will be a death sentence for some courses.

Wouldn't closed courses qualify for these small business loans/giveaways in the new bill passed?

Playing golf is saving our lives. DW who took up golf a couple years ago now playing five times a week. I play 3-4 times a week. Since church is online I can golf on Sundays. Have some buddies that after the round form a wide circle and have a couple of beers just for the company. Works out well. No range balls, you have to yell through the windows into the pro shop. All tee times online and we are jam packed every day. Now the head pro is starting to monitor those who book but don't show up.

Maybe, but will they use that money to maintain the grounds or use it to pay other expenses?

I would assume they'd use it for whatever they need to keep the operation running. Courses have to do some minimum of maintenance if they expect to reopen sometime in the future so they're not overrun with weeds, invasive grasses etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom