Hired a personal trainer

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
One of my goals in retirement was to get into shape. Two years in and the worst has happened, I've actually gained weight (not much) and have not developed a routine workout program. I've not been just watching TV, though some days that is about all I do. Generally, my yard work and golf give me some level of exercise, but not enough. Winter was tough. I'm a firm believer in keeping moving having watched my now 88yo dad getting around pretty good with a very ridged walking program - every day about 2 miles (a little less in the winter). But for me, it hasn't happened. So, today I took steps to change.

I paid for three months of training - no refunds for being lazy. My hope is that there is enough financial incentive to get me out the door and to my appointments. And by the end of the three months, enough of a habit that it will stick. The program is a weight training program. I'm hopeful that if I can maintain a 3 day per week resistance exercise program for the rest of my life, that I will be better off for it. Included is help with the diet, which while not terrible, has slipped in the last few months.

I'm really looking forward to feeling better and looking a little slimmer wouldn't hurt either. But most of all, I'm really hoping I can do this to get off to a good start and to maintain it as a life long habit. Wish me luck and certainly willing to read any advice on how best to cement in a good habit.

Good luck on the new adventure. I've used personal trainers on 3 occasions. It can help get you kick started, but it will still boil down to you putting in the time and effort.

I struggle with weight gain, stress/bored eat, and don't really enjoy "exercise" so I feel your struggle. I'm hoping the next phase of my life will put good health front and center in my daily priorities.:angel:

good for you. Quality of life is so important. Working out is only half the equation. Diet is the other half. Good luck.

Way to go! The most important thing is to keep trying, and looks like you're nailing that part.

I can also recommend The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg if you're interested in learning more about habits and how to build them.

Something to consider for the long term: Whatever fitness activities you plan to do for the rest of your life, do them in the morning. Maybe, even, set the alarm to get an early start to do this. This can help in multiple ways. First and most important, you do the activity before you can get distracted with errands or simple inertia. Second, in short order it will more likely become part of your daily plan that you don't even give it a thought -you just do it. Third, after a while the routine will start to show some real benefits in increased fitness.
Besides resistance training, consider at least one other activity such as swimming/running/bicycling/exercise-walking. Having variety in your workouts will help to reduce the possible monotony of doing just one fitness category.
Best of luck to you.

I used to go to a commercial gym a long time ago (20+ years) and found it hard to maintain a routine if I went home first...I'd rarely go back after supper. So I made it a habit to go right after work.

Then I bought some equipment and started working out at home...same routine, I'd work out right after work. For the most part I was able to work out for most of the year with a few breaks here and there.

Then I retired and thought that it would be great to be able work out any time I wanted...of course, "any time I wanted" started becoming "I'll do it later" and too many workouts were missed. I've discovered that it's a lot easier to stick to my workout routine much better if I do it in the morning....get it done and not have to worry about fitting it in later.

So, I guess my advice is to find a time that fits your schedule and motivation level and try to stick to it rather than working out at random times. What I do now is get up, have a leisurely breakfast and coffee over an hour or 2 while checking emails, internet, etc. Then I work out before doing anything else.

Congratulations! A trainer is a great aid.

My DW and I dropped a combined 110 pounds thanks to the advice from the forum. Diet was huge for us. If you could have seen the look on my face when I saw the calorie count from pasta![emoji23] Holy cow I was eating my entire day's calorie allocation with just pasta!

Someone here suggested Myfitnesspal and it was life changing. Suddenly we had the ability to measure and control our calories and macros. All we had to do was read the reports and eat slightly differently. Eating a little higher fat and protein diet makes me less hungry, YMMV. Along the way we learned different ways to eat and understand macros.

As we lost weight we added moderate exercise by walking in a hilly area. Adding distance and speed as we improved over a few months was helpful. As fall approached we started at a local gym, and the owner gave us a couple free lessons. Both of us were at our BMI at that point but DW lost 4 more sizes by working out! The exercise makes us both feel better, more energy and enthusiastic about life. I thought a runner's high was BS until I did it. Today we still go to the gym, her 3X, me 6x weekly. I never thought I'd do a 5k for fun but I was wrong.

Best wishes to you.

Good move. 3 months is a good amount of time to set a new habit.

The only thing that matters more than your health is.....nothing.

Personal trainers really can do two things:

1. Create accountability

2. Teach you

I think both have a place. A few years ago I worked with a trainer twice a week and it was mostly about accountability. That is, if I had set up an appointment with him I knew I would show up. That was really important at that time.

Of course, he also showed me how to use equipment and how to do various exercises and that was helpful as well.

I recently hired a trainer and realized I don't need the accountability part of it any more. I am going to show up whether the trainer is there or not. What I want from the trainer is the teaching aspect.

As you get close to the end of the 3 months you may want to emphasize that part of it. Ask the trainer to teach you additional exercises that you can rotate in or out of your routine. Ask the trainer to give you some alternative routines so that you can switch them out periodically. I went around the gym and asked the trainer to give me additional chest exercises or another shoulder exercise or give me something using the cables, etc. Make sure the trainer so you how to use all the equipment even that which you aren't using. That way you can adjust your program over time and will have new exercises you can add in to your program.

I used to go to a serious health club, and there was a rather short guy that put himself to the point of blacking out three times per week. His personal trainer was about like a male dominatrix. No matter what he did, his body didn't have what it took to bulk up.

My nephew meets every morning at 5:30 a.m. with a bunch of elitist 35-45 year old's to undergo exercises with The Sarge--Ex-Marine drill instructor. After an hour with him, they go on a 2 mile run. I call that self torture, and I have no idea how they can then go to work.

I'd like to think a personal trainer can push you to being in better shape--but not be so tough. I'd stay away from free weights, and stick with weight machines, bikes and treadmills.

Another good tip for maintaining a workout program is to get a workout buddy. It's a lot harder to blow off a workout if someone is expecting you to show up.

I'd like to think a personal trainer can push you to being in better shape--but not be so tough. I'd stay away from free weights, and stick with weight machines, bikes and treadmills.

I don't see a good reason to stay away from free weights. I personally use a mix of both machines and free weights. In general, you get a better workout with with compound exercises that use the large muscles. There can be some limitations on free weights. I have a bad knee so am mindful of that. Also, I don't want to do free weight exercises that require using a spotter. But, I do get a lot of benefit from the free weight exercises that I do. None of the trainers I have used have been overly tough but they usually have used at least some free weights.

Based on your goal of weight loss I suggest you concentrate on diet and cardiovascular exercise like elliptical, treadmill, not so much resistance training. However, the best exercise program is one that you stick with, so if resistance training is what interests you, then indeed that's the right choice.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
One of my goals in retirement was to get into shape. Two years in and the worst has happened, I've actually gained weight (not much) and have not developed a routine workout program. I've not been just watching TV, though some days that is about all I do. Generally, my yard work and golf give me some level of exercise, but not enough. Winter was tough. I'm a firm believer in keeping moving having watched my now 88yo dad getting around pretty good with a very ridged walking program - every day about 2 miles (a little less in the winter). But for me, it hasn't happened. So, today I took steps to change.

I paid for three months of training - no refunds for being lazy. My hope is that there is enough financial incentive to get me out the door and to my appointments. And by the end of the three months, enough of a habit that it will stick. The program is a weight training program. I'm hopeful that if I can maintain a 3 day per week resistance exercise program for the rest of my life, that I will be better off for it. Included is help with the diet, which while not terrible, has slipped in the last few months.

I'm really looking forward to feeling better and looking a little slimmer wouldn't hurt either. But most of all, I'm really hoping I can do this to get off to a good start and to maintain it as a life long habit. Wish me luck and certainly willing to read any advice on how best to cement in a good habit.

Jerry, try reading the book Changepower. I found it to be an excellent resource to help me build good diet and exercise habits.

If you want to stay fit and trim try the following: cycling, long hikes or walks (5 miles minimum) and stay away from buffets and fast food. Regular 30-40 mile bile rides with hills will get you into shape pretty fast and keep you in shape. So will regular long hikes and walks. There are many bike clubs/meetups everywhere so you can cylce with others. Also watch the food intake. Your metabolic rate slows down after age 40 so lowering food intake and regular excercise will help counter te effects and keep your weight under control. My wife and I have been cycling together for decades our BMIs have stayed in the 22.5-23 range for the past 25 years and it has never been over 24.

Based on your goal of weight loss I suggest you concentrate on diet and cardiovascular exercise like elliptical, treadmill, not so much resistance training. However, the best exercise program is one that you stick with, so if resistance training is what interests you, then indeed that's the right choice.

Best wishes.

There's rarely a good reason to skip resistance training. Proper fitness includes working both cardio and strength. Weight loss is mostly diet related, although cardio and even strength training help a bit.

There's rarely a good reason to skip resistance training. Proper fitness includes working both cardio and strength. Weight loss is mostly diet related, although cardio and even strength training help a bit.

OP, optimal fitness includes a regimen of diet, cardio and resistance training. But if one is beginning a regimen later in life to lose some weight and generally improve fitness and well being, my opinion is it may not be realistic to try to do all three, and that resistance training is the least likely to be sustained and most likely to result in injury. That's the reason for my suggestion to concentrate more on cardio and diet. im sure there are many others who will disagree with this and whom you will hear from, but again decide what you think you can sustain and do that. If you're not into cardio, then don't bother with it, because you will be very unlikely to stick with it. Best of luck with your regimen whatever you decide.

OP, optimal fitness includes a regimen of diet, cardio and resistance training. But if one is beginning a regimen later in life to lose some weight and generally improve fitness and well being, my opinion is it may not be realistic to try to do all three, and that resistance training is the least likely to be sustained and most likely to result in injury. That's the reason for my suggestion to concentrate more on cardio and diet. im sure there are many others who will disagree with this and whom you will hear from, but again decide what you think you can sustain and do that. If you're not into cardio, then don't bother with it, because you will be very unlikely to stick with it. Best of luck with your regimen whatever you decide.

I agree with your post. I also think almost anyone can find some kind of cardio they enjoy. There are so many options - swimming, biking, spinning, tennis, walking, jogging, hiking, Zumba, countless video workouts that can be accessed for free or very inexpensively. I know strength training is great and should be something we all do, but I’ve never been able to sustain it and I also have a shoulder injury from my early 40’s when I attempted to follow a strength training regimen.

Congratulations! A trainer is a great aid.

My DW and I dropped a combined 110 pounds thanks to the advice from the forum. Diet was huge for us. If you could have seen the look on my face when I saw the calorie count from pasta![emoji23] Holy cow I was eating my entire day's calorie allocation with just pasta!

Someone here suggested Myfitnesspal and it was life changing. Suddenly we had the ability to measure and control our calories and macros. All we had to do was read the reports and eat slightly differently. Eating a little higher fat and protein diet makes me less hungry, YMMV. Along the way we learned different ways to eat and understand macros.

As we lost weight we added moderate exercise by walking in a hilly area. Adding distance and speed as we improved over a few months was helpful. As fall approached we started at a local gym, and the owner gave us a couple free lessons. Both of us were at our BMI at that point but DW lost 4 more sizes by working out! The exercise makes us both feel better, more energy and enthusiastic about life. I thought a runner's high was BS until I did it. Today we still go to the gym, her 3X, me 6x weekly. I never thought I'd do a 5k for fun but I was wrong.

Best wishes to you.
Well done!! What a transformation. And I laughed out loud at the pasta calorie count. I remember the first time I went to one of those restaurants that have the calories on the menu and seeing that the carbonara was something like 1700 calories... almost a whole days calories!

I went to a personal trainer at age 50 when I decided to learn how to lift. Tried several and ended up with The Motivator (Al Vishnevetsky) in Tucson.

First meeting we reviewed nutrition and he gave me an eating plan.

After that he gave me monthly routines all focused on achieving muscle fatigue with very light weights, to avoid injury.

Best fitness investment I ever made.

In Tucson a number of doctors refer their patients to Al instead of sending them to physical therapy.

Al's son Jerry Trubman at the Protocol Gym is also excellent. He focuses on classes which include safe use of kettlebells.

If I still lived in Tucson I would spend the $$ to be with one of them. Even though I am frugal this is excellent for my health.

Anyone can become a personal trainer so finding a good one is not easy. I would suggest going to a serious gym and asking some of the weight lifter looking people who they would recommend. I would also use Yelp.

You could also call Al or Jerry and ask them. They know people around the country.

Most important thing with a trainer is a focus on avoiding injury.

Best of luck!!

I did this in Jan- I have been enjoying the heck out of it. I wish I had measured myself before I started. On the advice of someone at my gym I started a workout notebook, and I recommend you do that. It has been GREAT for seeing progress- I could only do 4 pushups when I started. I can do 12 now. Also, saves time because I never remember which weight I used with a machine last time. I can just look it up. And I highlight workouts I like, and when I can't think of anything to do, I just go back and re-do one of those. I enjoyed working with my trainer every week, but I am now working out with her every other week. Will go to once a month soon.

Also- technology!! I bought a Scosche rhythm+ heart rate monitor- it fits on your forearm. I pair it with the endomondo fitness app. Tells me how hard I'm working out, and keeps a log of my workouts. It tells me a lot of other things I don't really care about, but I find it motivating.

Last- the REASON I started working out was I read "Younger Next Year" which is a fun and easy read, but emphasized to me the importance of being in shape- to help you age better. Extremely motivating. Good luck. I hope you enjoy the gym as much as I do!

One comment about personal trainers, they are not all created equal. I've seen way too many that stand there while their clients are using poor form, and many know nothing about nutrition. Make sure you get what you are paying for, so asking around locally and getting references might help as well as interviewing them to ensure you can work well together given your goals. When I first started lifting I used a trainer for maybe the first 3 months, and then adopted a do it yourself approach, aided by lots of good info from the internet, along with videos.

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement. Wednesday was my first workout and I did pretty good. The only pain I have that seems a bit different than normal workout muscle pain is in my elbow. I'll discuss that tomorrow at my next workout. To respond to a couple points made so far. The trainer is a friend of mine and I've watched her for about 5 years as she transformed herself. She got certified in personal training and functional medicine. She took herself from being overweight and out of shape to today where she is rock solid and competes in weightlifting competitions (and does well). She's very smart and has worked hard learning this from a few highly rated trainers. Now she's added personal training to her life and I couldn't imagine going to anyone else. She was one of my employees when I was working so now the tables are turned. Hope I treated her as well as I think I did as an employee :).

Yes, diet is a big thing and the first thing we went over. However, I do know how to eat and her and I have discussed my eating compared to hers (ultra strict) over the years. The diet program she gave me is no different than how I know to eat, my problem is in the execution. My hope in paying her for a three month program is that the money will motivate me to actually perform well. The diet is well balanced. Higher in protein and good fats and low on carbs (not keto low). Basically, eat meats, nuts, good fats and vegetables. Go light on the fruit.

Regarding the resistance training versus cardio, I'll do both. Similar to eating, I already know how to get my heart rate up and keep it there. The need was to incorporate resistance training. My plan is to workout (resistance) three days per week until I'm where I want to be then I'll probably go down to two. Cardio will probably be two to three days also. We haven't fully developed a plan, but I think at best, I'm good for four days a week. Three would be better. The main thing is to get my weight down, under control and then move to a maintenance mode. The most important thing I want from the trainer is to develop my ability with regard to resistance training. She'll be more involved than that (she can't help but to do so, she's very into health), but that's the focus as it is the area I've never developed and need to make sure I learn proper form.

Tomorrow is my second workout! I hope some day I'll be as excited about this as many of you are. But, like it or not, I am taking it serious.

Regarding the resistance training versus cardio, I'll do both. Similar to eating, I already know how to get my heart rate up and keep it there. The need was to incorporate resistance training. My plan is to workout (resistance) three days per week until I'm where I want to be then I'll probably go down to two.

Resistance training is important but a lot of people tend to overlook it or think it's not very important. I've even heard people who have never touched a weight in their lives say that they're worried that they'll get "musclebound" if they lift. If they really knew how hard it was to add muscle they'd never say that.

Resistance training doesn't just build muscle...it strengthens ligaments and bones, which is crucial as people age. With strong legs and a strong core you are far less likely to fall, and if you do fall, you're far less likely to injure yourself.

Hey that's awesome. I had a PT for a year and I worked out with him 1 a week. Taught me a bunch. I'm 57 re 6/2017 so I get to the gym ~6 days a week. I'm close enough that I ride my hybrid bike there, about 5 miles round trip. There's no reason, unless you have some kind of physical issue, that you can't work out vigorously with free weight, and machines. I learned how to squat, dead lift and bench press from my trainer so I'm confident in my form. You can as well. I also do lots of core movements to keep tight and have gotten a decent six pack, can't believe it.
Get the most out of your trainer, and have some fun with the process. After you start seeing results, it's a real motivator to adjust into a healthy fitness lifestyle :)

Back
Top Bottom