How do pets figure in your retirement planning?

We have one older dog that's a lab-pit mix (rescue). This is my first dog and when we got her I thought the biggest expense would be vet bills but these have been surprisingly small. Other than regular shots, she had one $500 cat scan. It's not that she hasn't had health issues but the ones she has are basically inoperable: valvular pulmonic stenosis (heart defect that went undetected until she was old) and a bad knee (we almost opted for the $5k surgery but decided not to for various reasons).

Where we've spent the most money is on boarding & dog sitting (ranges $30-60/night) and home repair (she chewed up some walls when she got scared).

She also severely limits options for travel. For example, we booked an apartment this summer in santa fe on airbnb and there were only about 5-10 options available. In comparison, if you don't have a dog there are 100s.

Jack_Pine - No, the program is not limited to Kansas residents. We're in Texas now and we're in it. You set up your will to give them some $$, then if you pass away, they come and get your pets. They either keep them or foster them out. The $$ that aren't used for this process does into the vet school.

They're great to deal with, very friendly and down to earth.

Clif I have used Trusted Housesitters for finding folks to stay with our herd in the past and found amazing folks! I also used the older site, Housecarers.

Our sitters in 2013 were an older couple from Florida and were excellent. Took care of everything for six weeks while we were traveling. The way it works is a trade of their care for free housing so no money exchanged hands. We did loan them our truck for running errands, as they arrived on a motorcycle.

I imagine you could easily find quality housesitters in your location.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Turn_the_Page,
Thanks for the information. I'm familiar with KSU's veterinary program, highly thought of around here. I had no idea about the program you mentioned. I'll check into that.

In response to what do you spend on your pets? For each of our two ankle biters:
$100 - yearly shots
$100 - yearly flea, tick, heartworm prevention
$100 - yearly, teeth cleaning every 5 years or as needed, and emergency treatments
$ 800 - yearly food for both. One has a sensitive stomach has to eat perscription dog food. The other could care less but if the one with the sensitive stomach gets any regular food look out! Poor guy he couldn't even be an outdoor dog without the prescription food. The phrase "sick as a dog" has real meaning for him.

Plus boarding or, if they go along extra hotel room charges. Traveling with two dogs is three times the work, but very rewarding.
Last year we learned our Shitzhu/Japanese Chin is really a hunting dog:) she was trying to chase wild turkey and bull elk, working her nose like she's part bloodhound.

Interestingly this has been a topic that I have discussed recently. DH and I currently have one 12 year old cat. When she passes I expect to get another cat. I have had a pet cat most of my life and would hate to be without a cat. My older sister was discussing her cat (several years younger than my cat) and said that this will be her last cat. She figures that by the time her cat passes any cat she got would likely outlive her and she would be at an age where caring for a pet would start to become difficult.

Yesterday, DH and I discussed getting a dog, but we travel too much for a dog. We are able to hire a neighbor to look after the cat and check on the house when we travel now. A dog would probably need to be boarded and would need more attention than a cat. If we lose the desire to travel and are still in good health we would like to get a small dog.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Hi Everyone! I haven't posted here in a while, but I feel compelled to second what Sarah said about trustedhousesitters.com. My husband and I signed up with them to find a dog sitter and to become sitters ourselves. We have done 2 petsits through them and had a great time. Most of the sitters don't charge, especially if you are in a nice location! We have a great sitter here now, but once we move we'll definitely use them to find a sitter.

1. How do the pets influence where you will retire?
2. How do they influence the type of property you choose?
3. How does age determine what type of pet you get when one dies?
4. How do you deal with living pets in your estate plan?

We have 4 dogs, all medium to large size, and 2 cats. Dogs = 90 lb female lab/pit mix, 80 lb male anotolian shepherd mix, 70 lb golden retriever male, 50 lb male cattle dog mix. If you ask DW they are her kids. I also enjoy the dogs and so not having a dog in any future is not very likely. I can do without the cats, but can also do with them.

1) I also do old cars as my hobby, so I need a place with a large detached garage; which also lends to being a large yard and dog friendly. I absolutely hate any apartment living, could never do it. Need my own space and yard - preferably with 2-5 acres. I always do my own yard work, will never pay as long as I am physically able.
2) As stated above, I don't see any future without dogs. Given answer to question 1, should not be any issues.
3) All of our dogs are rescues, with one being inherited when my mother died. We tend to get adult dogs, not puppies at this time of our lives, although we are still working OMY.
4) Have specific instructions in trust docs to cover costs and adopting of the pets.

As for travel, our best solution if we don't take the dogs, is to have someone stay at the house. Less hassle and better for the dogs to stay at home where they continue their routine. It is also lower cost than boarding. Cats are less trouble, you can leave them inside with dry food and water for several days.

If we take the motorhome we try to take the dogs. They travel good and make our trips more fun. I intend to take a lot more RV trips once retired and work not getting in the way.

Edit: Added bonus for the dogs - built-in security system. Any burglar would think twice or more about getting into a yard with four big dogs.

Last edited:
My 12 lb poodle is now 7 years old. She has seizures and eats prescription food due to IBD. I budget $5k / year for her (actual average cost has been $2k - $3k per year).

Part of me says that after she is gone we'll not get another and we take the opportunity and "freedom" to travel more. Another part of me says that 52 weeks of a doggie companion beats 4 of 6 weeks of annual travel.

I suspect I won't travel and will have a dog until the day before they cart me off to the nursing home.

Dogs are great but I would rather not have one as they make random travel (or long travel) more difficult. Add to that DW wants our dog to stay at a friends first and foremost since our experience with someone who is not familiar with our dog (a rescue from Taiwan that has...an interesting personality :p) wasn't so great means trips will be more difficult. We will do some road trips now that I am done but will have to schedule any longer trips (like Europe) well in advance.

I will probably insist on no more after this one is gone (likely in about 10 years) but will likely lose again as DW seems to really want one around all the time...then again now she has me to kick instead of the dog :)

My wife has a fear of flying & nobody else would be able take care of our pets. Although recently she's been talking about going on a cruise that leaves from our city.

I traveled about 3x/year for 2 - 4 weeks ea. to other countries for 32 years so I don't have any need to go anyplace.

well we will have to put down our 12 year old tabby today, so we have one less pet to worry about I guess

she had a stroke and went blind and appears to have some brain damage - this morning she sat so close to the fireplace insert she her singed herself and didn't even notice it

My dog chose whom he wanted to take care of him if something happens to us. He absolutely loves my SIL. She's also our executor.

Big_Hitter, sorry to hear about your loss. Pets are the best company you can get!

Our miniature poodle passed away about five years ago. We still haven't replaced him. I have always had a dog (large and small) and will probably get another dog after DH retires and we do some traveling.
I love yellow labs, but will probably go small again. We are both 57, so feel like we still have time for another dog.
Our neighbor got a German Shepard puppy about 1.5 years ago. She and her husband are 70. The dog spends most of the time indoors. They had intentions of taking it for walks, but neither of them is very active. Not sure why they got a GSD?

Here's a few things I've been struggling with. I'd love to have a dog.

One is I am a renter - very few house owners allow pets. Any thoughts there?

Another is that I have a bit of trouble imagining my dog to be home alone quite alot of the time, and it somehow feels wrong to do that to a social animal. Not talking about the occasional travel, a doggie hotel I'm comfortable with.

I've heard the suggestion to get two dogs, somehow that's a bit overkill, at least initially.

I guess I associate dog ownership with rural living in a house one owns. That's where I may end up eventually, but not right now.

Any thoughts?

Totoro, I think that's why a lot of folks choose cats instead of dog, as it is easier to take care of two cats than two dogs, in general.

I think lots of rentals would let you have smaller pets, with a deposit, but as you get into more and larger animals is where it gets harder.

I think smaller dogs are the way to go, though, simply for ease of walking them, and portability, as we age. I can't imagine trying to walk a GSD in my 70s!

My condolences BigHitter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I have a GSD mix and a calico cat. My kids are good about pet sitting but it certainly does complicate travel. I'm hoping to get the RV together soon and see how they do traveling that way. Pretty sure the dog will do fine, but kitty hates car rides.
For now I stay at LA Quinta Inns when the dogs with me. They all allow pets and I haven't stayed in a bad one since the 90s.
I have not made provisions for their care, but both daughters have said they would take care of them if needed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Our current plan has us trading our trailer for an RV. That way we can transport the dogs/cat with us when we transition back and forth between FL and WI. We have always trained all our pets to be good travelers and it has worked so far.

Our current plan has us trading our trailer for an RV.

Do you mean trade for a motor home? My 5th wheel trailer is a Recriational Vehicle... :)

And FWIW, we went the other direction a few years ago. Sold the 40 ft diesel motor home and bought the trailer and new truck to pull it. The truck/trailer combo works well for us, but that isn't the case for everyone. Whatever fits your needs best is definitely the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom