How do pets figure in your retirement planning?

Your GSD is beautiful, Jack.

Tiny dogs are easier, but we've traveled with bigs dogs, and finding hotels usually isn't a problem. Also, many B&B's accept them, or you can sometimes convince an owner if your dog is well trained. The biggest issue we run into with traveling with dogs is what to do with them when we're doing something where they can't accompany us, since we don't leave our dogs unattended in a hotel or B&B except while we grab breakfast. We've sent them to day care or groomers, but if the trip is full of non-dog activities, we board them with the cats. We also have never taken our dogs on a plane, since they are too big for carry-on, and I'm afraid to have them in with cargo. So, we often drive so we can bring them.

For your questions:
1. Our pets factored in on where we retired. We have a detached home with a yard with no pet restrictions.
2. Our house has a good yard for the dogs. We've been remodeling, and have removed all carpeting, for easy cleaning.
3. We have 2 big dogs (a 15yr Belgian Sheepdog, and an approx 2yr Yellow Lab) and 3 cats (11, 12, and 16). We will not be getting more cats after these guys pass (unless we inherit my parents cat). I'm in a minority that sees cats as harder work than dogs, and that's why we've decided to just have dogs at some point in the future. Our BSD has Degenerative Myelopathy (a dog disease related to Lou Gehrig's Disease), so we don't know how much longer we'll have with her. We have decided to not get another dog right after she passes, and just have the lab. He's a handful and a half - real potential, but very hyper. He was probably dumped because of his high energy -- we got him when he ran out in front of our car. We may get a second dog when Mack is older and calmer. I've always had dogs, and can't imagine not having at least one dog in my home. We've talked about maybe getting smaller dogs in the future, but right now, we still favor the big ones. I'm only 49, so maybe my opinion will change when I'm in my mid-60's and DH is in his 80's. We'll see.
4. We have family members who will take in our pets if something happens to us (not all to the same ones). We'll do the same for them, if needed. We're all just animal people, and view pets as family, so they won't be left in the cold.

We decided not to get pets, as much as we both love animals, because neither of us wants the responsibility at this stage in life.

He knows I love animals, though, so he bought me a Teddy bear to compensate for not having a pet.... :LOL:

I have tried to get him to just go to a pet store with me so that we could just play with the animals a little, but he says if we do that one of us will bring one home. He's probably right.

One of the things you might do is volunteer at a pet rescue... a bit of work, but you can play with the animals as long as you want... just have to not fall in love with any of them, but if you are like my DW you will... heck, she has fallen for a stray.. now he comes by on a semi regular basis to get fed... less scared of us, but will not allow anybody close to him at all... since food is outside, there are 4 other cats that come by to see what is for dinner :facepalm:

We decided not to get pets, as much as we both love animals, because neither of us wants the responsibility at this stage in life.

+1

Our last cat (Paddy O'Kitty) passed a few years ago. We were in our early 60's and made the same decision you folks did and decided to become pet-free. It was a bit of a problem for a while but we soon became accustomed to being able to travel (we're on the go about ten weeks per year) without making special arrangements and have liked that.

Our son and his DW do have three cats so we get our "cat fix" at the same time we're grandkid visiting.

Help me. BSD? GSD?

We have always had a dog or two- strays always seem to find us and we adopt them, as ya do.

My last dog lived to 16 years of age and was in 5 different countries with us. No doubt shipping pets around the world has been a huge stressor. It's also darn expensive. But very important to help everyone settle in and have some normalcy among what is usually chaotic change ...

Currently have a 6 year old border collie-mix that my boys found in a village as a pup being abused/mistreated by locals - she is wonderful and temperament is as calm as can be. Am just now Planning an international move with her - spent oodles of time this past week - tons of work and $4k bill to move her. But she is worth it. At 45/47 DW and I expect we will have pets till our 70s. We have kids who would adopt and take over care if needed.

As for travel, we have not let out pet slow us down. Generally we find people to take care of the dog when absent or for longer stints just move the pet to where ever we happen to be. Our pre-fire travels tended to be mostly several months or years on end , not the short vacation that most people do. That will change post-Fire. Expect we will do shorter multi-week jaunts.

Will have to rely on family or friends and a kennel near by to board her. It's not cheap but making them comfortable is important to us - it's the commitment we make when we adopt a stray, so it's part of our travel and adventure budget no different from air tickets or hotel rooms. Local Boarding rate is 20-25 dollars per day, that's what we budget as part of travel cost.

For thirty years we have almost always had two Goldens, usually several years apart so when one dies the other is young enough to help usher in a new puppy. We may take a break after our current pair die because we would like to take some lengthy road/bike trips and can't be sure we will have coverage to watch the dogs while we are gone. For the past few years our daughter and her boyfriend move in when we are gone but they travel and have responsibilities that could conflict. Regardless whether we go dog free for a while we will likely get more some years down the road. As to planning for our demise, our daughter loves dogs and is slated to take over the house when we kick. If that doesn't change the transition would be fairly seamless for the critters.

Attachments

• DogsSnows.jpg
    DogsSnows.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 20
Beautiful set of goldens. :greetings10:

We have always thought having a "buddy" is great for dogs being pack animals and all. Also helps in the raising of the young ones.

Last edited:
Re - planning for the pets at your death. We've set up our wills with Kansas State University to include their Perpetual Pet Care. Perpetual Pet Care Program | Development and Gifts | College of Veterinary Medicine | Kansas State University

We are childless and couldn't bear the thought of the dears ending up in a shelter. It's not like we had to give them our entire estate or anything, just a portion. I don't remember the exact amount, but maybe $10k.

That sounds like a great program. Is it only for residents of Kansas?

Re - planning for the pets at your death. We've set up our wills with Kansas State University to include their Perpetual Pet Care. Perpetual Pet Care Program | Development and Gifts | College of Veterinary Medicine | Kansas State University

We are childless and couldn't bear the thought of the dears ending up in a shelter. It's not like we had to give them our entire estate or anything, just a portion. I don't remember the exact amount, but maybe $10k.

This sounds like a nice solution to providing for pets. I took a look at the brochure and see funding levels of $25k for small animals and $50k for large animals.

Pets in the budget

I realized that I forgot to put pet care/meds/food in the retirement budget. Even if you have healthy dogs, they still cost a lot to have.

Yes, making sure our Florida mobile home park is pet-friendly was a consideration. Plus the city has a nice dog park.

I have always had one or more cats, except during college years. Currently have four. I am thinking about putting something in our trust for them, but haven't figured out exactly what yet.

We bought our future retirement home a couple of years ago. It is a smaller single family house, though that decision was made based on lifestyle in general, not specifically pets. I would expect to have cat(s) as long as we're in that house, hard to say what would happen if we have to leave it.

Lately, I have done some pondering about how to move our cats to the other side of the country next year. One gets very panicked on a 15 minute trip to the vet, and I can't imagine him on a multi-day cross country drive, so he may have to fly. A couple of the others would probably tolerate the drive, and the final one is a real unknown.

That sounds like a great program. Is it only for residents of Kansas?

I'm not 100% but one of the couples in the article was from Iowa, so it's worth a call.

Last edited:
I always had dogs and cats growing up, so naturally we had dogs and cats when our kids were younger....and we were home a lot. Fast forward to when the last one (a cat) died (7 years ago) - we decided to go "petless". I was working long hours and when we took vacation...we always went away (cruise or air or both). Didn't feel we had the time to care for a pet properly.

We spent our first year in retirement "petless" to see if we felt a dog (my preferred pet) would fit into our lives. We didn't want a pet I had to board all the time (seems unfair) and didn't want to feel "limited" in what we could do. But after a year of RVing for months at a time, we felt a little "left out" every morning when the "doggie parade" would walk by our RV. Based on how we travel and sight-see now, we felt a dog would fit in nicely.

I've never been a small dog person, but because I really didn't want a big sopping wet dog in my RV, we opted for a very small malti-poo that I can tuck under my arm. A lot of our friends looked at us like we are crazy - "Kids gone, retired, no pets....and you went and got a dog??!!" But we thought it through and she has been nothing but a joy. DH keeps saying "if I knew how much fun she was going to be, I would have gotten one sooner." Dogs are also a great way to meet people when RVing.....

1 - We will probably never sell our house and move, so this isn't a problem. We do check "pet policies" before making RV reservations.....but as a rule of thumb, RV parks are a little dog paradise....
2 - See above
3 - We got her at 57 and expect she will live 15+- years, making us 72. Not sure I would get another one afterwards, but if I really felt I needed to, I would probably try to adopt and older dog. A lot will depend on how we feel at 72.
4 - Well, I plan on living to be 100 :), so this shouldn't be a problem. But on the off chance it is, my two kids and sister would probably fight over her for custody.

We got 2 kittens in 1998. They were eventually allowed in our apartment building. Then in 2002 we retired. We do not travel with them. They are ok for a couple of days on their own. We fly them to our snowbird place in the airplane cabin. We have allocated $25k in our will.

Travelling with them in the car is a bit of a challenge but our friend with a dog has no problem finding hotels along the way.

For our annual one month trip to Europe, we hire a house/cat sitter.

We are not planning to replace them when they cross The Rainbow Bridge.

Pets are great.
How do pets figure into retirement planning? An expense during normal times, a food source during really hard times.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I don't have any pets. Taking care of a few plants is enough for me, let alone a little buddy. My question is: how much $ per year do you folks spend on your pets?

I don't have any pets. Taking care of a few plants is enough for me, let alone a little buddy. My question is: how much $ per year do you folks spend on your pets?
I have 3 ~9lb cats who live with me in my 280 sq foot studio.

The eldest is on a prescription diet to prevent a re-occurrence of a urinary tract infection. Unfortunately, she resolutely refuses to eat wet food, so she eats the dry prescription food only. Estimated cost is ~$20/month. The middle kitty (who is blind) is also on a prescription diet for the same reason. She likes wet food, so eats exclusively wet prescription food. Estimated cost is ~$60/month. The youngest likes wet food, but also likes to poach her eldest sister's dry prescription food, so her diet is 1/3 regular (good quality non-prescription) wet food and 2/3 prescription dry food. Not the way I'd like it, but it's virtually impossible to keep her away from her big sister's food bowl! Estimated cost to feed this little tinker (wet and dry) is ~$30/month

Total food cost for all 3 kitties ~$110/month.

As for vet costs, the eldest is totally covered by the adoption agency from where she came. They have an amazing deal whereby, as long as you use their vet, they completely cover all vet costs for all senior cats adopted from them for life. They define senior as over 10 years old. So my vet costs for this lady are zero. The middle (blind) one was diagnosed with bladder stones very shortly after I adopted her. The adoption agency very helpfully ran an online fundraiser to cover the costs of her surgery and follow-up visits ($1200).

Other than the above, the vet bills for my middle and youngest are my responsibility. I take them for an annual wellness check, and occasionally pay for antibiotics and other fairly cheap medications for straightforward infections and common ailments. It's a rough guess, but the 2 kitties whose vet bills I have to pay probably cost me about $200/year each - maybe a little less.

So my total estimated cost for 3 little bundles of furry joy is about $1700/year + the occasional toy. They also have 3 cat trees, but I got those free :)

$100 per year per dog for shots & license. $100 per year per dog for heartworm/flea/tick medicine. They are all small dogs, so maybe $10 per month on food.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

We have an eight year old Shi Tzu (10 pound fur ball). I like having a small dog. When she passes, whatever other pet we get needs to be one that our daughter is willing to “adopt”, in the event we pass before the next pet does.

The biggest issue I have with pets in retirement is they really crimp my vacation plans.
I have had up to 5 cats with girlfriends and roommates, and really love the little critters.

I am currently down to one 13 year old cat, who is healthy except for needing thyroid medicine 2-3/times a day. I'd love to get 2 more kittens, but she hates all other cats so I guess I'll wait.

For a short less than a week trip I ask my neighbors to feed her. I feel guilty since they won't take money and I can't recepriocate with taking care of their two cats. But for longer trips, I need to rely on house sitters, or board the cat. I find it really hard to coordinate multiple house sitters.

What do other people do for trips of more than 10 days for their pets?

What do other people do for trips of more than 10 days for their pets?
My dog goes back to her foster mom (dog is a rescue). I pay the foster $25 a day, so it gets expensive, but the dog loves it and I can enjoy a guiltless vacation.

Back
Top Bottom