How long do you expect to be active and healthy?

Imoldernu, the very fact you are concerned about dementia, is probably a good reason that you are nowhere near that point. I have exhibited the same problems you are concerned about for 20 years (especially that garage door, I can't tell you how many times I drove back around the block to see if the door was shut and it always is), and I am still not even 50! Just remember its not a concern to forget where the car keys are at, it's a concern if you don't know what car keys are used for!. :)

The other day I was in locker room of local fitness center changing into my workout clothes. This facility has day-use lockers and someone was wandering about after his training session trying to recall which locker he had used to store his clothes :facepalm:. The very-fit looking active gent appeared to be having a 'senior moment', except that he appeared to be a senior in college. This stuff happens occasionally to everyone.

Intend to keep on kicking and being healthy until the last possible moment.

Gotta work on a good exit strategy.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the
intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

- Several versions of this quote, but most are attributed to Bill McKenna, pro motorcylist

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the
intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

- Several versions of this quote, but most are attributed to Bill McKenna, pro motorcylist

The objective is not to have a well preserved fully functioning body to the last moment, rather it is the avoidance of torturing my mind with the observation of mal or non-functioning body parked, and ministered to by others for any appreciable time.

I've know several people who matched the fully used, burned out carcass thing. It is not a method I wish to emulate.

+2

Richard4444 said:
+1 So eloquently stated, Imoldernu. I enjoyed reading your thoughtful insights and experience. I think it resonates with a lot of us - it did for me. Thanks !

Someone in this forum once commented that the most useful smartphone app they could think of was not something with GPS capability to locate yourself, but something that would tell you why you just walked into this room!

I'm still only in my 60s, but I would find such an app to be extremely useful.

More seriously, I do agree that physical activity seems to be about the most useful drug we can take. My grandfather still took a daily half-mile walk in his 90s, and it seemed to do him a lot of good. He lasted until 96.

There was a local businessman in Cincinnati who maintained an office until his death. Every morning he would have breakfast, put on a suit, walk several blocks to the bus stop to catch the 7:30 am bus, and ride the bus into downtown. There, he bought two different newspapers and walked six flights up to his office where he read the newspapers, drank coffee, and chatted with anyone who cared to drop in. He went to lunch in a nearby restaurant, then took the bus back home. This was his routine until he died at either 100 or 101 (I forget exactly).

It seems that keeping your body as active as possible has the side effect of keeping your mind sharp as well.

Back
Top Bottom