How to Park in a Very Tight Space

I share the anxiety. About 6 months ago, DW was parking our Town Car next to a five year old Odyssey Van in our CCRC parking lot. Barely touched the bumper... plastic bumper. Nothing at all to our car, and a tiny scratch 1 inch long, 1/4 inch wide on the other car. DE went inside, and hunted down the elderly couple that owned the van, and gave them her information.
Here's the grating part... I'm sure I could have wax/buffed out that tiny mark, but the damage had been done, so we reported it to our insurance company. I figured, big deal... the shop will buff and spray and the cost will come to $200... Not to be... they saw the old couple coming, and replaced the bumper, the bumper liner, the braces and who knows what else, to the tune of $1500... $150 for the paint alone... the paint... not the labor...
Cost us nothing, but but I'm not sure what this will do to the insurance, the next time we have a problem.

In the future... if something as simple as this happens, I'll talk to the owner and offer a few hundred dollars, which I'm sure they'll happily take.

Live and learn.

Last edited:
Love the video Dand76.

We have ridiculously tight underground parking at our university hospital. Added dangers as well - such as steel protective rings 2 feet off the ground around pillars - deadly!

I agree with backing in as the way to go. You may find it useful to adjust side mirrors to see downward and right in to the side of your car to see how close you are getting before you back in. Back up cameras are great. Definitely wrap the pillar in something so as not to scrape the car as badly if you do rub it.

I got a Honda Fit (one mentioned on that list), but still managed to put a small scratch on the passenger mirror side at one of my condo parking spots. I did end up getting matching touch up paint and repair that scratch.

Another car not mentioned on the list is the Prius C. That's about a foot shorter than my Fit. :)

I feel your pain:

Last edited:
I have had a challenge parking my small car in my co-op apartment building's indoor garage for the last 21 years I have had a spot. From 1994-2011, I had this awkward corner spot which had part of the side wall jutting out, making a straight-in approach not workable because it was very tough to back out on a curve. So I backed in on a curve which was fine until the owner of the spot next to mine moved out in 2005.

The new owner of that spot had a slightly larger car at first until they bought a large SUV about a year later. Their spot became tougher not only for them to park but made it tougher for me to get in and out, especially (backing) in. My old car was already 14 years old at the time so I wasn't overly concerned if I dinged it up on the wall a little bit (I never did but came close many times). But I surely didn't want to nick this boat of a new SUV if they didn't back in all the way or parked close to the line separating our cars.

In 2007, I got rid of my old clunker and bout a new car, a 2007 Corolla. When I was checking out new cars, I had to make sure the car's width was not larger than existing car or else it would be even tougher to get in and out. I also asked my super if I could get a different spot at some point. In 2011, finally, he told me he would be able to move people around because several spots would open up and after 17 years of battling with this parking spot I would finally get a reprieve.

The spot on the other side of my neighbor's spot opened up so the super moved the boat SUV there and I got his old spot. YAY! I was finally freed of the corner spot. But this new spot had its own issues. First, there was a beam which separated my new spot from the one on the other side of it. I knew this, of course. But now I could park head in if I wanted to. I still chose to back in because it was easier to back in than back out. I still had to get around the beam by backing in on a curve like before. But at least I was not at the mercy of someone else's ability to park well.

I have nicked the beam a few times, scratching the paint near the left front bumper a few times. But two other problems have arisen since 2011. First, the boat SUV owner moved out in early 2012 which cleared their space still next to mine (on the other side of the beam). That's fine, but the new owner has had a tendency to park too close to the beam, and also park head-in so her driver-side door and my driver-side door are next to each other. The yellow line separating our spots is badly drawn on my side of the beam, so her spot is drawn to be about 3 feet wider than mine. She actually wrote me a note once to complain that I was parking on the line and depriving her of space. I left a note on her door explaining that she has a space 3 feet wider than mine and should count her blessings. That ended that conversation and she has tended to park more in the center of her spot to give me (and her) enough space to get our doors open.

What also happened is that my old, corner spot now has another boat SUV in there. How that guy gets his SUV in and out of there is a mystery. Being mindful of the tough spot he is in, I make sure he has enough room to get in and out which pushes me toward the line near Miss Complainer's spot.

It's still a challenge to back into my spot on a large arc and avoid hitting the side wall, the beam, and the SUV. But it is still an improvement over before. And I have the option of going head in if I need to, such as if I have a lot of stuff in my trunk or have to park in a hurry in case I have to go the bathroom. (When that has happened, I'd go back to my car and back it out and then back into the spot.)

I may not have the worst spot in the garage any more because I have seen other drivers struggle to park in spot at the other end of the garage which include beams, walls, and other cars. This keeps me from requesting another spot.

I do agree that backing into a spot on a curve is far easier than backing out of a spot on a curve.

Condos generally consist of units, common elements, and limited common elements. Units are usually only the habitable spaces. Common elements are the common areas that are sometimes owned in prorata share by the unit owners yet maintained by the HOA, and sometimes they are owned and maintained by an HOA. Limited common elements are parts of common elements wherein specific unit owners have individual(or group smaller than the whole) rights, such as parking areas, patios, etc.

There is usually a condominium declaration and plat(or survey) filed at the county for each condominium development. The plat should show a specific location and dimensions of your parking space if your parking space is part of a limited common element or in the remote chance that your parking spot is part of your unit.

It is also possible that parking spaces are part of the common elements, not assigned or dimensioned on the plat.

In either case, the recorded declaration (and other HOA documents) should specify how parking spaces are handled. You (or real estate lawyer and/or surveyor) could check these documents to see if your parking rights are being breached.

Maybe I missed it - but I didn't see any response from the OP on two of the suggestions:

1) Can the board talk (nicely) to the van owner? Maybe simply ask if he can move the thing over a bit to accommodate your situation? If it is parked within its legal rights, you won't be able to enforce it, but the person may be open to it anyhow, maybe they simply don't realize they are creating a problem for you?

2) Ask about swapping with someone else (w/o changing ownership) who may not need so much space (motorcycle, sub-compact car), effectively renting their space. Offer some $ if it is worth it to you.

I'd certainly exhaust those before selling/buying a different vehicle.

-ERD50

This thread is a good reminder to never ever buy a condo or co-op ar live in any multi family dwelling.

Too dang many rules, not enough solutions. I'll stick with the house we have with 3 car garage, easy parking, and my 14 acre camp/mancave. Real easy parking. Now to buy that helicopter since I already have the landing pad and windsock.

This thread is a good reminder to never ever buy a condo or co-op ar live in any multi family dwelling.

Indeed. When I went looking for a house after living in apartments one of the "must-haves" was it's own driveway. (Not all homes there do, some have on-street parking only.) If a house didn't have a driveway that was an immediate deal-killer and I wasn't interested in even looking at it.

I live in a condo and parking could not be easier. Our house on the other hand has one hell of a driveway, part of the reason why we have trouble selling it. It is very steep, and goes straight up into the garage. Backing down the driveway is hair raising, so we learned how to turn the cars around at the top of the driveway, which for people who are not used to it is pretty scary too. After several incidents, we asked visitors to park at the bottom of the driveway.:rolleyes:

ETA I found this old picture of it. Based on the realtor's feedback, a lot of people find the driveway terrifying:

Attachments

• 1030.jpg
    1030.jpg
    822.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
My parking could not be easier, though at present it is wasted on me as I do not have a car. My GF has a space in her building that is very easy to navigate, but during rough weather is exposed to wash from a large fresh water lake. So she has to have her car washed bit more than otherwise, but overall it is fine. I like having the space, as parking is not easy in my neighborhood, and this makes it easy for GF and others who wish to visit.

Like ERD50, I also would try to get some help from building manager, or the owners of the van. Since it never moves, they might be open to getting rid of it. Social solutions may be best here, if possible.

To me, getting parking elsewhere is not a great idea, especially for a woman. A controlled parking space in one's building is a meaningful security feature.

Ha

Last edited:
Parking at my condo is easy as well. I have a 1 car attached garage and there are 4 guest parking spaces across the lane. I just get a permit from the HOA whenever I want to park in guest parking for more than a week. And that's only when we have 2 vehicles at the condo.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

OP here. To answer a couple of questions. First, the van next to me is legally parked within his/her boundary lines. I called it "oversized" earlier but it is really not oversized in the sense that it violates any boundaries of the parking space. It doesn't. It just seems gigantic next to my small car and it definitely makes my backing in to my spot a bit tougher. There's no use speaking to the van owner because there is nothing he/she can do to move the van in a helpful way. Second, I did talk to the condo board. There are no additional sites to move to; each parking space was assigned 10 years ago to individual units. I could see if another owner will swap with me if I want. However, this is unlikely since my space is clearly the "dog" in the complex.

However, I had a couple of break-throughs today. I did get the condo association to agree to a "sleeve" or wrap on the offending post. Evidently you can buy such ready-made jackets (I saw one recently at another location). That will help quite a bit as it is the post that is the problem. And second I tried another back-in strategy today with a wider arc and managed quite nicely. That may be the key! I think earlier I was simply not swinging as wide as possible. I need to practice a bit more and get the exact technique down. So there may be light at the end of this tunnel.

As to moving to a condo--well, despite these headaches, it beats my previous situation of shoveling and chipping ice from a long driveway during our long cold winters. I am VERY happy in a condo; it suits me perfectly at this time of my life. To each her own!

Also, just to reinforce the point, I was simply astounded at how easy it became to back into a parking space when I got my current car that has a backup camera.

I understand that aftermarket backup cameras are just about as good as built-in ones.

The camera is definitely an attractive idea. I am going to look into it and appreciate the tips.

Back
Top Bottom