Ideas for renting furnished place for 1 month

jpeter1093

Recycles dryer sheets
DW and I will be retiring next March (she's actually retiring Wednesday 11/7 but I'm holding until March). One of our travel plans is to spend a month in different cities with an eye towards where we might want to live later on. First up is Denver in June. I've been looking on Airbnb and found some potential places. I always thought furnished corporate type apartments would be perfect but they all seem to require a minimum of 3 months.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

I think a lot of people do this, via VRBO and AirBnB. No need to use corporate type apartments or extended stay hotels.

Thanks. It's just that a month rental from VRBO or AirBnB is twice the monthly rental of the corporate apartments.

Don't go by rates listed on these sites, directly contact the agent or owner and ask for a monthly price, On a 30 day rental you will not generally owe sales tax. The timeframe you mention might be a slower rental period ask for their best monthly rate and keep looking until you find a good price. Widen your search a little the ski areas might be a decent deal around that time. Be flexible.

We just completed renting one vacation rental after while moving to another area. Most of our rentals were on VRBO. I never find anything on AirBnB. As said, find what looks nice to you, read the reviews then contact the owner directly to iron out details.

If you're looking at an off-season or shoulder season you should ask for those dates rates. We've gotten discounts frequently when asking for them.

I received a Charles Osgood book as a Christmas present. Charles chose to live a month in twelve different cities that were the best months to be there.

It looked like a very enjoyable year long trip--especially since his wife stayed home and he took his 'administrative assistant' with him.

I received a Charles Osgood book as a Christmas present. Charles chose to live a month in twelve different cities that were the best months to be there.

It looked like a very enjoyable year long trip--especially since his wife stayed home and he took his 'administrative assistant' with him.

Bamaman, does the sentence about his wife really have anything to do with this topic. you do know a lot of ladies read this forum, correct?

My BIL owns a VRBO rental. In the off season, for a month or more, he'll happily rent it at half the listed daily price. In high season... forget it.

We did a couple month city tour using air bnb as well as house sitting. We were looking mostly in TN. Worked well for us.

We did it in AZ and NM when we first retired. And again in Mexico before moving there. Also in FL where we bought a home to be nearer to an elderly parent.

Mostly we used VRBO (now part of Homeaway) as Airbnb was barely started when we retired in 2003. In Mexico we found local vacation rentals by googling and finding local landlords or rental agents. I also recommend tripadvisor's vacation rentals (used to be FlipKey).

All the places were were interested in were in desirable tourist spots so they had many short-term rental options.

Re: staying in a corporate rental v. private home, I would urge the OP to find a rental in the exact neighborhood in which they think they want to live. We did this before buying post-retirement and it resulted in good eventual purchases with few surprises.

Bamaman, does the sentence about his wife really have anything to do with this topic. you do know a lot of ladies read this forum, correct?
As I recall from his book, the "administrative assistant" was a 56 year old man. Just saying! AND the wife did NOT want to go with him! If she agreed to go Charles would have been delighted from what I inferred from his book.

On topic, I find airbnb places that are just a room in the home, very cheap. AND, the host is 99% of the time wanting to meet new people and share their hospitality. I've met the most interesting people that way, from a Berber in the Atlas Mtns and learned that S/N and middle tribes speak different languages, stayed in Spain with wealthy and famous olive oil producer who owns 100,000 trees including the oldest tree in Spain. He let me make a small batch, you would never guess the process in a million years, my initials are on 24 bottles. I'll divulge that a stubborn donkey was the key laborer.

Wonderful experience.

In US, I usually find it better to rent at long-stays.

Last edited:
....there’s some caution needed by landlords

.... there is some caution needed by landlords in that some states have laws that state that one month rental puts the renters in a situation that they need to be evicted if they stay longer.... not like a short term rental A couple of years ago there were cases where couples were requesting one month rental.... but stayed beyond, needing to get evicted (typically had stayed three months... two without paying anything) and were found to be doing this for some time, effectively paying only a fraction of the rent for a year (I’ll see if I can find the citations). Thus most Airbnb types restated their longest terms to be UNDER the month term to AVOID that problem. This is a very real concern for those renting TO such individuals!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom