If NE Florida is not Full, it sure will be soon!

Some Florida license plates sport the slogan ENDLESS SUMMER. I'm still waiting for the Florida DMV to release a plate adorned with ENDLESS TRAFFIC. :popcorn:

Not all of Florida is endless traffic. And many states have regions with more traffic than most of Florida.

When I lived near Charleston, SC, the summers were hotter and more humid than in most of Florida.

Different strokes for different folks. Every area has both pros and cons. Live wherever you like.

Not sure where we'll retire to, but I don't think Florida will be it. One thing that those zillow listings reminded me of is how much I despise newly built large homes squashed onto tiny plots where you can basically almost touch your neighbors house. They should be building on 2 acre lots with lots of privacy and green space...less noise. No way will I consider moving to sardines-ville. Not a chance.

There is not a lot of socially redeeming value to these books but they are laugh out loud funny--the victims are usually scammers of poor or old or very young people. Maybe an acquired taste: “Dorsey’s novels are unfailingly entertaining... Serge is, hands down, the most smoothly charming, irrepressibly goofy, joyfully out-of-his-mind series lead in contemporary mystery fiction.... Don’t miss this one.” (Booklist )

I have never actually read any of these books but have listened to all of them (thanks, Public Library downloadable audiobooks!) and they make me look forward to a nice long road trip.

I have not read any fiction in a while, as I am a non-fiction reader.

However, you talked me into this. "Naked came the Florida man" on hold for me at the library (I prefer to read paper books).

Thanks.

Not sure where we'll retire to, but I don't think Florida will be it. One thing that those zillow listings reminded me of is how much I despise newly built large homes squashed onto tiny plots where you can basically almost touch your neighbors house. They should be building on 2 acre lots with lots of privacy and green space...less noise. No way will I consider moving to sardines-ville. Not a chance.

Wyoming or Dakotas are calling your name.
Actually you can find this in Florida too, but you won’t be near civilization. As you age, living where you have services (like Uber, hospitals...) becomes a necessity.

Sounds Like SoCAL where we moved from in 2003. Main reason we left SoCAL was traffic! That and there were simply too many people everywhere. The HCOL never bothered us as one gets what one pays for. But the Traffic and sheer volume of people is a different story. What we do miss is the weather.

Traffic & crowds & other urban problems motivated us to move from Coastal So CA to Palm Springs. Still relatively HCOL but lower than the Coast, no humidity, hurricanes, or bugs.

That would actually be my dream house...large house, 2 acre lot, lots of privacy. Only problem is, with land prices being at such a premium, you're not going to get that in any of the more popular zipcodes. Unless you pay dearly for it.

Also, the positioning of the house on the lot makes a world of difference. There's a luxury housing development near my old house that went up before the housing bust. Most houses on maybe .7-1.0 acre lots, and they tended to be in the 5,000+ square foot range. Normally, that would sound like a fairly decent lot to me. But, the houses were usually set back pretty far from the road, so you had a lot of front yard, but not a lot of back yard. And, the houses were so big, that even though the lots were fairly large, they still felt a bit cramped together. And since it was a new neighborhood, built on an old turf farm, there really wasn't much privacy, as it had all been clear-cut.

I think a lot of people really don't want a large lot. They might like the idea of the privacy, but then once it comes time to maintain it, the charm gets lost. Of course, some people enjoy gardening and yardwork, and others can afford to pay for a lawn service. But, still, it's not the life for everyone.

Oh, one advantage of Florida...if those cockroaches really are the size of Matchbox cars, seems to me it would be easier to keep them out! :p Although, I imagine they still manage to find their way into some pretty small crevices.

OTOH Palmetto bugs make excellent cat toys.
Very true! Cats love 'em.

My favorite trick of these guys is when they decide to take to a drunken flight. They don't want to land on you, but they are so inaccurate, your hair may get in the way.

One of my neighbors from NY moved back after 6 months due to two things: 1) bugs, 2) crime. I think the bugs bothered her more.

Oh, one advantage of Florida...if those cockroaches really are the size of Matchbox cars, seems to me it would be easier to keep them out! :p Although, I imagine they still manage to find their way into some pretty small crevices.
They will find a way in. They can get through the tiniest slits. And I've even had them fly in behind me when I had the door open. Yes, fly.

They will find a way in. They can get through the tiniest slits. And I've even had them fly in behind me when I had the door open. Yes, fly.

The infamous flying Palmetto Bugs.:D

Traffic & crowds & other urban problems motivated us to move from Coastal So CA to Palm Springs. Still relatively HCOL but lower than the Coast, no humidity, hurricanes, or bugs.

We liked Palm Springs also, but missed the beach vibe. Otherwise we would be there too.

Place this home down in Florida and I might reconsider it:

As it turns out, New Hampshire has no sales or income tax and this past summer we actually drove past this particular house, checking out the town of Bedford on our way up to the white mountains. While the neighborhood is very nice, the property taxes are up there. Not the best place for a retirement budget.

In any case, the wine room is killer.

Oh, and since we were talking Palmetto Bugs, I want to provide a PSA. They are in North Carolina too. Don't come to NC if you can't stand the huge roaches. Thank you.

Honestly, we wish folks would avoid NE Fla. Probably classified as from Fernandina Beach to about New Smyrna Beach (First coast).

But whoever has been from Miami up through Ft Lauderdale through to Melbourne on the East Coast ,and from Naples up to Tampa on the West coast, will realize that those areas are already full. The 900 - 1000 people a day fleeing the over taxes frozen North sadly have to go somewhere. At the rate they are building homes as mentioned in the OP, in the next 10 years we will be just like those other areas mentioned.

As for the Palmetto Bugs, locals like them as easy to catch protein with a crunch.. :)

I love Jacksonville. I've lived here since 1981. i've also lived in NC, Tenn, Va, NY city. I've been to every state east of the Missippi, and maybe half on the west side, including Alaska. Also made a couple trips into Canada and Mexico , and another dozen or so European countries. so my point is, i've seen ,how others live . I am very happy in jacksonvile.

I love Jacksonville. I've lived here since 1981. i've also lived in NC, Tenn, Va, NY city. I've been to every state east of the Missippi, and maybe half on the west side, including Alaska. Also made a couple trips into Canada and Mexico , and another dozen or so European countries. so my point is, i've seen ,how others live . I am very happy in jacksonvile.

Hi Neighbor! A lot of folk like/love JAX, I find it a little crowded for my personal liking, and prefer to be a little further south, however we know a lot of folk that like you are very happy there. You certainly have ALL the services you could ever want or need on your doorstep. Not too mention some of the best healthcare access and providers in the country.

We do have to drive a little further than you do to get to Costco and Trader Joes though... :)

Hi Neighbor! A lot of folk like/love JAX, I find it a little crowded for my personal liking, and prefer to be a little further south, however we know a lot of folk that like you are very happy there. You certainly have ALL the services you could ever want or need on your doorstep. Not too mention some of the best healthcare access and providers in the country.

We do have to drive a little further than you do to get to Costco and Trader Joes though... :)

+1
We live directly east of Jax and only drive there when absolutely necessary. Lived in 6 states and 1 foreign country, been to all the states but 4 and traveled to 22 foreign countries and Jax is just average. It is getting more crowded with rapid overbuilding of apartments/condo/housing with the resulting increase in traffic. Good medical facilities, limited tourism so far, lots of gas stations, and lots of mediocre restaurants. It is trying to improve but it has been an uphill battle for many decades with a few back-slides. Sure beats having snow in the winter though.

Cheers!

+1
We live directly east of Jax and only drive there when absolutely necessary. Lived in 6 states and 1 foreign country, been to all the states but 4 and traveled to 22 foreign countries and Jax is just average. It is getting more crowded with rapid overbuilding of apartments/condo/housing with the resulting increase in traffic. Good medical facilities, limited tourism so far, lots of gas stations, and lots of mediocre restaurants. It is trying to improve but it has been an uphill battle for many decades with a few back-slides. Sure beats having snow in the winter though.

Cheers!
too funny. you live somewhere in Europe maybe? haha still love my little average home. I will never tell why.

No one will be moving here today! It is a mere 50 Degrees F at the beach. HATE That!

This is not why i moved to Florida. I came down here with shorts, flip-flops and jeans. Had to rebuy leggings, a couple of hoodies, a HAT and GLOVES for running. It was 48 when I left this morning. Florida wind, I swear even at 15mph with temps in the low 50s, is brutal. Rude awakening.

You can so tell who is a native and who is not. While I'm trying to move in my snowsuit other runners are out in shorts and a t-shirt, maybe a hat. They know that if you wait an hour or so things will get warmer. There were probably people in the heated outdoor pool but I can't even think about that without getting cold.

Couldn’t agree more about houses being shoehorned into tiny lots, but I’m pretty sure it’s not just in FL. Almost all of the new developments we see are just row after row of houses sandwiched together.

We have an acre and from where our house is positioned on our street, we have a pretty nice view of the surrounding hills. One of the things we cherish is the “space” that we have from our neighbors. It would be a difficult adjustment moving to a smaller lot with the only view being my neighbors house. :(

We liked Palm Springs also, but missed the beach vibe. Otherwise we would be there too.

Yeah, I understand that. So far, when we miss the beach town we lived in before, we just go there and stay a few days. It’s only a 2 hour drive. The mountains and hiking in the desert are awesome! We did keep our beachfront condo though, just in case we decide otherwise down the road.

Well, with 1000 people moving (= relocating) to Florida DAILY, there have to be places for all of them to live.

Here in SWFL, I just saw an article in the paper this morning about how plans for expanding retail sites (like Costco, Sam's Club, other major national stores) are drying up. In fact, sites in Naples that had been approved for these retail expansions are now sitting undeveloped. Residential developers are quickly snapping them up and building high-density housing like apartments and condos.

omni

Punta Gorda is a smaller town with manageable traffic. But a large Lenar development is filling up quickly and a large Allegiant resort will be opening in just over a year.

Couldn’t agree more about houses being shoehorned into tiny lots, but I’m pretty sure it’s not just in FL. Almost all of the new developments we see are just row after row of houses sandwiched together.

We have an acre and from where our house is positioned on our street, we have a pretty nice view of the surrounding hills. One of the things we cherish is the “space” that we have from our neighbors. It would be a difficult adjustment moving to a smaller lot with the only view being my neighbors house. :(

We just left our 32 year old colonial in NY which was on 10 1/2 acres in the woods (set 700 feet back from the country road), for a development in the NH lakes region where 85 homes are on 10 1/2 acres! Yup- sandwiched together on leased lots (with no rent-HOA owned- unique). Why would we do that?

Because as we are retired the isolation of our former home was not good. No friends or family nearby there either.

I still miss our former home- as it was big and much nicer than the new build cottage we are living in now and the cost of this little home was as much as we could get for our former home yet is half the size! Plus only having tree views from our bedrooms; the other views are the walls of the homes around us, which I have had to put up window film for privacy. In our other home, never even had curtains.

Not to mention right now construction going on all around us as the development is not complete. Not a 55 + community but a bit like it with weekenders and snowbirds and some full timers like us.

Still, I think in the long run this was the right decision. Our son lives and works nearby and we needed to get out of NY. Even if we end up hating it, no way will I ever go through moving again. It was hell.

Back
Top Bottom