If NE Florida is not Full, it sure will be soon!

Punta Gorda is a smaller town with manageable traffic. But a large Lenar development is filling up quickly and a large Allegiant resort will be opening in just over a year.

The number of homes for sale in the 33950 zip code is astonishing. Don't take my word for it - take a peek here: Punta Gorda homes for sale

Perhaps the folks who moved to Punta Gorda to escape the Manatee County / Sarasota County madness have discovered that the madness has followed them down there? :confused:

This is not why i moved to Florida. I came down here with shorts, flip-flops and jeans. Had to rebuy leggings, a couple of hoodies, a HAT and GLOVES for running. It was 48 when I left this morning. Florida wind, I swear even at 15mph with temps in the low 50s, is brutal. Rude awakening.

You can so tell who is a native and who is not. While I'm trying to move in my snowsuit other runners are out in shorts and a t-shirt, maybe a hat. They know that if you wait an hour or so things will get warmer. There were probably people in the heated outdoor pool but I can't even think about that without getting cold.

Pretty funny! Here in NH at 45 degrees some guys had shorts on and a construction worker was shirtless! To me with the sun out it felt like spring. My husband got his camping chair and sat out on the front porch. LOL!

One of my favorite things when I go to our timeshare resort in Vermont is swimming in the heated outdoor pool when it is snowing! Or in the Fall when the leaves are falling down into it! Heck- I put my floaty in an ice cold mountain lake every year in the White Mountains. I could stay on it for hours- my legs and torso covered with water!

We are a little farther south in the Daytona Beach area. What I see as the biggest issue in Florida is the un-contained Developers. They own the political system. Local governments don’t control costs, but constantly try to grow the tax base.

Look around at the aquifer recharge areas. Many are being paved over. Parking lots, Appartments, roads, etc. Viera near Melbourne is a good example. Nothing 20 years ago, solid coverage now and spreading.

There is already salt/brackish water incursion in areas where pumping exceeds recharge.

There are lots of other issues, but ultimately this one will control the local growth. My opinion.

Developers here level acres of trees and fill and compact wetlands. The legislature just approved a new toll/interstate corridor down the west side of the state in the Tampa to south GA line. The only reason was to allow the developers more opportunities.

BTW, I’m not much of an Environmentalist, just hate to see the state ruined.

Last edited:
I think you always see a lot of homes for sale in many parts of Florida because of the average age of the occupants. A 70 year old couple retires to Florida, one spouse dies, the other moves back north near their kids.

We are a little farther south in the Daytona Beach area. What I see as the biggest issue in Florida is the un-contained Developers. They own the political system. Local governments don’t control costs, but constantly try to grow the tax base.

Look around at the aquifer recharge areas. Many are being paved over. Parking lots, Appartments, roads, etc. Viera near Melbourne is a good example. Nothing 20 years ago, solid coverage now and spreading.

There is already salt/brackish water incursion in areas where pumping exceeds recharge.

There are lots of other issues, but ultimately this one will control the local growth. My opinion.

Developers here level acres of trees and fill and compact wetlands. The legislature just approved a new toll/interstate corridor down the west side of the state in the Tampa to south GA line. The only reason was to allow the developers more opportunities.

BTW, I’m not much of an Environmentalist, just hate to see the state ruined.

Clean water is one of those issues that us humans (especially in the US) continually shoot behind the mark.

I think it does depend on the County in Florida. The richer Counties tend to fair a little better. Collier and St. Johns being 2 that come to mind.

too funny. you live somewhere in Europe maybe? haha still love my little average home. I will never tell why.
Nope. Not Europe. We stop just short of the ocean. We may be part of Duval county but definitely NOT part of Jax. and our towns do not want to be. Jax tried their little tricks decades ago at consolidation and we told them on 2 separate votes that they could go pound sand.

Cheers!

Hey you guys, keep J'ville nice. We will be moving there next year. We have our retirement house already in place. Were just waiting until the son completes college here in PA and then were moving to JAX near Mandarin. We currently live near Philadelphia so not expecting too much of a community change but we are looking forward to having a single level and warmer weather.:dance::dance:

I think you always see a lot of homes for sale in many parts of Florida because of the average age of the occupants. A 70 year old couple retires to Florida, one spouse dies, the other moves back north near their kids.

My Mom and stepdad have been talking about moving to Florida permanently for years. To the point they bought a house down there, back around 2002. They used the house as a rental, for about a year, but after that just started using it as a getaway/vacation home.

My Mom said that if anything happened to my stepdad, she'd move back up here to Maryland, in a heartbeat. BUT, they STILL haven't moved down there permanently, yet!

Also, they had some neighbors that they became chummy with. Well, a few years ago, the neighbors sold their house, and moved back to Pennsylvania to be closer to the grandkids. They love being close to family, but hate the weather. And apparently the tax/expense situation went up. I think they sold the home in Florida barely breaking even, but then their condo in PA was about the same price, but with added expenses of condo fees and such.

Nope. Not Europe. We stop just short of the ocean. We may be part of Duval county but definitely NOT part of Jax. and our towns do not want to be. Jax tried their little tricks decades ago at consolidation and we told them on 2 separate votes that they could go pound sand.

Cheers!

We have friends in Fernandina.

Cheers!

I grew up in Jax Beach but left in 1976 to pursue my career and have lived all over since.

Guess you are somewhere between Ponte Vedra Beach and Atlantic Beach...unless you settled in Mayport...or maybe further north toward Amelia Island Plantation, Fernandina Bch area.

When I lived in Jax Beach it wasn't on the radar for cold weather state retirees. Retirees all settled in south FL. Jax Beach life was surfboard, Jimmy Buffett, beach cruiser bicycle and flip flops. Very slow paced.

I have recently settled into my forever home in eastern NC near the beach. Tried to find something around my old stomping grounds but the RE prices were high relative to NC.

My family all relocated down below the Jax area and whenever we visit I always rent a place on the beach and have the family all come and stay with us. (I love S. Ponte Vedra/Vilano beach area.)

When I lived in Jax Beach it wasn't on the radar for cold weather state retirees. Retirees all settled in south FL. Jax Beach life was surfboard, Jimmy Buffett, beach cruiser bicycle and flip flops. Very slow paced.

That is the unsung beauty of NE FLA (First Coast), Reasonable all year seasonal weather, but the uninformed northerners and most snow birds think life is better further south. All good for us, but I think that is changing.

Cheers!

you said 'east of jacksonville', that threw me off. thanks to you, everyone will read negative concerning Jacksonville. that is a very good thing! I like the beaches as they are. I like the Jacksonville where I live and I don't want it to change. good thing jax pounded sand :)

...can't....help...myself.......

Snakes (a very few) are venomous. Mushrooms (more than a few) are poisonous.:)

Thank you. You saved me from doing it. Like an episode of “Bones”.

Cheers!

I am glad you posted that! I grew up in what I believe is the nation's oldest consolidated city/county, and I was under the impression (like many others) that Duval/Jax's consolidation was likewise complete. I find it interesting to have learned about that strip of communities that maintained their independence of the city. Hmmm, added to my list of possible locations....

The thing about Ja is one can get anything they want there. There is a Mayo Clinic also and healthcare is abundant. Not sure I would like living in JAX real though, traffic is as bad a south west Florida at times, with no snowbird break, but it is sure nice having it just 40 minutes away. For us Pointe Vedra may as well be in JAX as the traffic is worse there, and even worse during golf season, but they do have a Trader Joe's, probably that is why.

Last edited:
I think we may be getting a bit of a breather for a while. I know there is a thread of Covid-19 Benefits, could this also be one them?

I think we may be getting a bit of a breather for a while. I know there is a thread of Covid-19 Benefits, could this also be one them?
Traffic is being stopped at the border but quite a few cruise ships are being brought in to the ports in south and south west Florida that have been denied docking in other states and countries. I'm not sure how that will pan out but people need help.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom