I'm baaaack...

OK, now I'm jealous. Just kidding :) Very happy for you Rich. Enjoy the move.

BTW, Nini's Coffee shop is a great little neighbor place for breakfast. Don't miss it, brings you back to days gone by.

Last edited:
Congrats and enjoy one of California's unsung glories- the local farmers' markets! Even if you ever find the summer cool temps too cold, just head inland and you can quickly find the hotter weather you've known in Tampa....

Where are you in the area? We are very excited but will be needing all kinds of advice, no doubt.

Rich
All the coolest kids live on the west coast ;)

I can see that the "choose a new handle for Rich" contest is going to be very fun, btw....

Last edited:
Rich,

Welcome back. It sounds like your decision to move to SF was carefully considered and is the right one for you and your family.

I'm glad to hear that your health issues are under control. I still remember the kind words you sent when I was being treated for pancreatic cancer six years ago.

I think it was Jimmy Buffett who sang about changes in latitude and changes in attitude. Good luck on the move.

2soon2tell

Last edited:
My dream job would be a weather man in San Francisco:angel:. Good luck and report back in about 6 months and tell us really how you like that part of the world. :dance: oldtrig

San Mateo, has bay like climate, you have to be on the west side of Skyline drive to get the fog.

Rich,

Welcome back. It sounds like your decision to move to SF was carefully considered and is the right one for you and your family.

I'm glad to hear that your health issues are under control. I still remember the kind words you sent when I was being treated for pancreatic cancer six years ago.

I think it was Jimmy Buffett who sang about changes in latitude and changes in attitude. Good luck on the move.
;)

Thanks.

Our youngest daughter relocated to SF September of 2012. Holey cow the cost of rentals is astronomical! She is 3 miles east of downtown SF.

I dabble in stained glass window construction and visiting Aanraku Glass Studios in San Mateo is on my bucket list.

Congrats on your upcoming move. We enjoyed the drive from Illinois to SF. Yosemite is awesome.

I've been to SF four times. The climate was one part of the experience which was memorable. Seemed to be mildly pleasant most of the time. Plenty to explore and enjoy, too.
Good luck with the move.

Wonderful. If I could afford to live anywhere I wanted, San Francisco would be on our very short list. I suspect you'll love it...good for you!

San Mateo is very nice. I went to college nearby and spent quite a few vacation breaks with a mate who lived there. His family was nice to put me up and he showed me the area. It gets a bit chilly in the winter but IMHO the climate is far nicer than Florida.

Should we expect a name change, something along the lines of "Not_so_Rich_in_San_Mateo"?
As he adapts to California attitudes, it could also be Mellow_Rich_in_San_Mateo

Last edited:
Rich, congrats on your decision, your house sale and pending move. Lot to look forward to. Best wishes on the relocation and the best of health.

Wishing you and your wife all the best with this life transition! I don't think there is anything better than living near one's grandkids. I hope I get to experience the same one of these days.

California spoiled me in the food department. I avoid for the most part what passes for Asian and Mexican around here(unless I go into Pittsburgh proper). When I lived in Monterey, one of my favorite meals was the whole steamed, cracked Dungeness crab available as take-out from the Nob Hill market and eaten at a picnic table in my backyard with a cold micro-brewery beer.

Welcome back Rich great to have you back. I am partial to San Francisco, although only if they replaced all of the elected officials and half the states residents.

+1 - been there, done that....it is definitely getting to be a place where only the elite may live - too expensive - gorgeous, though...

Rich in Tampa - enjoy your move and the closer family ties - and I hope that your health problems are arrested and or get better....

Welcome back and best wishes for good heath. Congrats on the upcoming relocation to San Francisco. Beautiful area with lots of outdoors opportunties! I look forward to your updates.

Good Luck Rich-In-Tampa nee San-Mateo. As to the folks behind, and the kids in Colombia, technology available today makes those move decisions much less traumatic. Skype, Face Time, et.al, wireless access at home or local coffee shops, even McDonalds, and air planes for the touch of human skin if that is needed, all make for staying in touch, enjoying the good friends, neighbors, family, where ever they are located, easy to do. Even FaceBook and U-Tube provide movies and events like you were/are still there.
My advice is to enjoy each and every moment of life, and don't allow any possibility of regrets to occur. Health issues are natures way of reminding us that we worked far too long, and put off way too many things that are truly important, and now we must work even harder to catch up and do those things.
Good Luck and never look back!
Whitestick

Back
Top Bottom