Kitchen Remodel Bucket list Reality Check Costs/Tips/Warnings?

We are doing the kitchen in stages. So far we have changed out formica and orig. builders sink to quartz. Then I installed the tile backsplash. DW wanted double ovens so we went with a slide in to replace the orig standard oven unit.

Our plan for the next phase is to match the base of the island to the gray of the wall pantry on the wall next to our table.

Longer tern would be to have the bottom cabinets painted gray and the uppers would be white.

Attachments

• origkitchen.jpg
    origkitchen.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20210413_122859280.jpg
    IMG_20210413_122859280.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20210425_185921863_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210425_185921863_HDR.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20210413_113931815_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210413_113931815_HDR.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Husband is a computer nerd so he did our kitchen re-design in a home design software program (don't have the name) but there were no walls moved. We did move the fridge but left the stove, microwave and sink in the same place, added tons of new cabinets and countertops. Cabinet people helped with design of the cabinet space so that was pretty much included in their cost (we have Welborn Cabinets - like them very much and would do that again). I did the demolition (LOVE to tear up stuff!!!) and down to the subfloor, removed old cabinets and repurposed them for the basement, did the walls with a friend, had tile installed on the floor and granite on the countertops. Was several years ago so I don't recall prices but we're still pleased with the result.
I think Home Depot will do a free consult with you and you can always walk away from their estimate - we did when we did our kitchen.

I've heard of people just replacing the doors and front part of a cabinet and not the whole cabinet, or is that a bad idea?

If you don't already have it, make it so that the fridge is not between two regular sized counter tops such that you either need a counter depth fridge or the normal fridge will stick out.

Pull out drawers inside cabinets can be really nice.
Depending on how the wall is built behind the fridge and what is behind it you can recess the fridge into the wall or room beyond. In our recent home renovation the laundry was adjacent to the kitchen so I flipped the kitchen design to put the fridge (a new French door extremely deep unit) on the laundry wall and broke into the full height laundry cabinets so the fridge is flush with the kitchen cabinets. The now shallow cabinet in the laundry make a perfect pantry cabinet as it is not too deep either now.

Being a construction professional I don’t hold most kitchen designers in high regard. Better you talk with a chef! Of course it depends if you cook, Cook or COOK, for me a guy who loves to cook, the kitchen is the most important room in the house. My wife could really care less! So if your kitchen designer doesn’t ask about what you like to cook and how you use your kitchen then get rid of them! Many like to hide away all small appliances in cabinets or garages. If I use something every day I want it right at hand. I also like well seared meats in a cast iron pan, blacken fish, well done toast so an oversized hood with High CFM is important.

Also important as we age is lots of light. So as the ceiling was concrete, I dropped it 3” and put in a ton of GU10 Led recessed lights as well as under cabinet lights. It is great!

Remodel or Refresh

We touched up the whole house in 2014 when we moved back to the Midwest before the DH retired in 2015. New flooring and paint throughout. Some new windows and moved a back door. New fireplace and built-in shelving & cabinetry in the living room. Tore out the fiberglass shower and tiled up the MB. New hardware, new light fixtures throughout. (I was on an anti-brass crusade!)

But the kitchen reno was the biggest part of the work. We gutted it completely and reconfigured and expanded the space into the breakfast nook area.

We had a good contractor, but I didn't have a designer. I did eat however, drink and sleep HGTV for a few months before we did it. I made my own choices and I still love it all. If you replace the counter, let me suggest quartz. I've had granite but I like quartz better.

If you are planning to keep your cabinets, may I suggest you consider having them professionally painted and put some great new hardware on them.

have fun!

Haven’t read each and every post but if not mentioned here’s an idea. DW had an additional heating/ac duct added when she redid the kitchen. It is nice to have the inconspicuous vent in the toe kick panel right where most of the action is.

We love our two-toned kitchen. Walnut veneer on the bottom, high gloss white on the top. There used to be a wall where the island is now. It’s a huge open great room now. The photo shows about half of the kitchen.IMG_0271.jpg

Last edited:
Retired custom builder here, one thing I would recommend is using as many drawers as you can on the lower cabinets. It’s really easy to store pots and pans and things that you want to get to quickly.

Totally agree & my client too. Working on 16' of drawer bases as we type... Gonna be posting finished pics in the What We're Making thread likely end of next week...

They'll have butcher block tops and are for her quilting room (garage).

Attachments

• IMG_20210922_155955274.jpg
    IMG_20210922_155955274.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 43
Totally agree & my client too. Working on 16' of drawer bases as we type... Gonna be posting finished pics in the What We're Making thread likely end of next week...

They'll have butcher block tops and are for her quilting room (garage).

Great idea! DW has a craft room and I need to do this also.

Back
Top Bottom