Kitchen Remodel Bucket list Reality Check Costs/Tips/Warnings?

Lstansbury

Recycles dryer sheets
Retired 6 Days ago -- now, onto the Bucket List including a kitchen upgrade! Hoping to get a reality check from the experts here who have been there/done that.

Our small kitchen in our Midcentury Remodel is desperately due for a face lift. New refrigerator, new porcelain sink and fixtures, new dishwasher, new floor, new lightin, maybe new countertop, maybe but probably not new cabinets (but doubt I have a post-retirement budget big enough for those).

I've asked a designer who is certified in Kitchens/Baths to give me a design plan that I can use for making it prettier (aesthetics) and maybe more functional? She won't give me an estimate for the plan yet, which is reasonable because she hasn't seen the kitchen! But she did quote:
  • $75 per hour
  • a free first visit
  • estimate on plan costs thereafter

I've heard horror stories from friends who have gotten estimates for $10-12K to get an architect to give them just the plans for a remodel. So I'm a little concerned.

Has anyone else had just a design done for the kitchen only? Was there sticker shock? Was it worth the fee anyway?

Thanks for any insights!

I haven't used a kitchen designer.

But I've watched a lot of tv shows and notice that all these designers have an idea of what is nice/pretty etc. But they all differ.

Can't you get ideas of what you want from magazines.
I'm not sure what a designer is going to do for you, since it does not sound like you are moving walls or doing cabinets.

My daughter is getting a new kitchen, her husband suggested she have a built in oven and a regular stove with another oven after seeing her try to do last thanksgiving with all the dishes to cook. And he wants a pot filler over the stove.
Also handy if it swings to the coffee pot.

Attachments

• Pot filler.jpg
    Pot filler.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
We did a major kitchen remodel in our big family home 15 years ago. Down to studs, reconfigure plumbing, all new appliances, granite counter, bazillion of mid range cabinets. About 50k back then.
Loved it all every day till we sold 3 years ago.

In our new little retirement cottage we're updating only. Layout is really only one that works for space available.
That's a good thing for us!
So far, replaced old vinyl floor with tile. Painted dark old but sturdy wood cabinets a pale off white/grey. They are gorgeous.
Keeping the existing granite counters. Not my exact style but fine.
Have new SS Bosch DW, microwave.
Need new range and frig, maybe paint walls.
Maybe 10-12K total.

Decide what you NEED and what you WANT.
Have fun!

I have no comment on using a designer, as we’ve never used one. When we did a kitchen appliance and countertop replacement we worked with the contractor for some design suggestions. Keeping the current cabinets limits the scope of the project and also limits the usefulness of a third party design.

One thing we did do that helped was go look at homes in the area that were listed for sale. This helped us develop our own sense of what we did and didn’t like about flooring, granite, and appliances.

Thoughts:

Before signing anything, get names/info for three very recent clients and check out the designer's reputation via a phone call. Ignore old references; everyone has an old list who will praise them.

Relationship with the designer should include a very detailed specification of deliverables and milestone dates.

Insist on a not-to-exceed number as part of the contract and focus your planning on that.

This may not be a good time; there are lots of lead time problems with appliances. We just bought a showroom sample Bosch dishwasher because Bosch has had to shut down dishwasher production due to critical parts shortages. The point here being that anyone who can actually deliver appliances can probably name their own price and/or may be second-tier manufacturers.

I've redone several kitchens and highly recommend design services. A good kitchen designer can save you money and improve function.

Cabinet shops often offer design services as part of the purchase price or as a prepurchase item with the cost rebated upon cabinet purchase. Good designers understand cabinet makers lines and can help you avoid costly customizations by using stock boxes in creative ways.

Most HD , Lowes and Menards can run redesign programs for free.. this would be helpful even if you hire the designer as it would probably help you clarify your thoughts before the hourly rate starts ticking

Most HD , Lowes and Menards can run redesign programs for free.. this would be helpful even if you hire the designer as it would probably help you clarify your thoughts before the hourly rate starts ticking

This X2. I used Lowe’s when I laid out my new kitchen. This include a completely new layout. I provided dimensions, and we sat with a designer in Lowe’s for about an hr. She generates a parts list, some sketches and 3D renderings. It was surprisingly good for “free”, but I did end up buying cabinets from them (but got counters elsewhere)

We did a full remodel in 2004, using a carpenter/home builder as I wanted custom built cabinets, new everything, although I did go with formica counter instead of granite, a decision I sometimes regret. However the formica has held up well through kids/grandkids and knives! Cost back then was approx $26,000.
I have replaced the dishwasher and fridge since then.
The cabinets are due for sanding/refinishing, I would like to replace to a granite counter now, and replace oven/stovetop. Hoping to get it done sometime in the next couple of years for less than $15,000.
A complete remodel/re build down to studs/electrical, etc.will be more.
I second the advice to get 2-3 estimates and do check references.

We remodeled our kitchen a few years ago. New cabinets, countertops, tile backsplash, appliances, hardwood flooring, lighting. The cabinet company had a designer on staff. She designed the cabinet layout and details, spec’d out appliances. I did the rest with BIL’s help putting in cabinets.

I recommend getting new cabinets as long as all other parts of the kitchen are being upgraded. And choose a cabinet company with a designer rather than hiring one separately.

We used a designer, but they were "free" from the outfit we used. It was very useful in helping maximize space in an older home with closed off rooms. I would recommend the designer...they may help you see something that you might miss.

+1 on the pot filler. I thought it was stupid (have one in our current home that has the original kitchen) but comes in very handy.

I would also mention that if you having an island installed, having storage space within it is pretty awesome. We have a very large island so there is plenty of storage. My DW is convinced that Jimmy Hoffa is entombed in it. ;)

Wow, these are all GREAT suggestions! I didn't realize you could get free design help from Lowe's for example. And your questions and notes are helping me figure out what to ask of the designer as well. My overall budget is $25K for the kitchen remodel. I'd like new cabinets...but DSO is deadset on keeping the old ones because they are "real wood". Well, they look real crappy too, but that's another post.

I've heard of people just replacing the doors and front part of a cabinet and not the whole cabinet, or is that a bad idea?

If you don't already have it, make it so that the fridge is not between two regular sized counter tops such that you either need a counter depth fridge or the normal fridge will stick out.

Pull out drawers inside cabinets can be really nice.

Ikea also provides free kitchen design services. I would start with one of the free ones and then if you're not liking what they provide, or want to re-layout or further customize things, look into the paid designer route. From what you describe though it sounds more like you're looking for a kitchen facelift and not a full gut-and-rebuild, so I would think the Lowes/Home Depot/Ikea services should work for you.

Looking at your list it does not appear that you are planning any changes to the layout?

If so, most of your decisions will be personal preference...what appliances, fixtures, countertop/backsplash, and flooring.

The suggestion to hit open houses with a camera (which we did, and there were absolutely no objections), look at designs on the internet, create a list of what you like/don't like about existing is a good start. You may find this step eliminates the need for a designer, and even if you decide to use one it will get her/him started in the right direction. Saving you money.

We love what we did. One thing we especially appreciate as we get older is lighting.
Under cabinet and over sink, over all work areas. Make sure you have enough. (replacing the incandescent bulbs with LED lights made it even better)

Good luck, have fun designing

Wow, these are all GREAT suggestions! I didn't realize you could get free design help from Lowe's for example. And your questions and notes are helping me figure out what to ask of the designer as well. My overall budget is $25K for the kitchen remodel. I'd like new cabinets...but DSO is deadset on keeping the old ones because they are "real wood". Well, they look real crappy too, but that's another post.

It's your call but with a budget of 25K I'd be inclined to try the free options and do some reading up...your limited funds will go farther...

Take your time and realize that finding a contractor for a job like this could take quite awhile.

... My overall budget is $25K for the kitchen remodel. ...
With respect, some suggestions:

1) Ditch the idea of a designer; your budget implies very minimal changes so a designer will not be able to do much. Also, you don't need the extra cost in such a tight budget. Use a couple of the freeebies indentified here.

2) Aggressively price shop the appliances you want to buy, then subtract that total from your budget. See what's left.

3) Hold back 20% of the without-appliances budget for the inevitable hidden problems and I-forgots. A big chunk of my career was spent in large program management and I will tell you that a good beginning management reserve is essential if there is to be any hope of hitting a budget number. Inflict great pain on transgressors before doling out any reserve dollars. Outright mistakes should be absorbed by the contractor making the mistake or by his sub. Never get badgered into paying more than half the cost of a mistake or an I-forgot. You will need most of the money to cover hidden problems. For example, a rotted floor under the DW or sink.

I would go to a local place that does cabs and counters. A guy came out to measure everything and do the design for $100, refundable if ordered.

We did and the the cost was 12 grand for tearout, all new wood cabs (no particle board or MDF) granite counter and backsplash, sink and all installed and prepped for faucet. Two guys worked hard for 3 whole days;

1) Tearout and install top cabs
2) Install bottom cabs
3) Install granite

No plumbing, no electrical. I did the garbage grinder, faucet and vent hood duct install and wiring.

My daughter is getting a new kitchen, her husband suggested she have a built in oven and a regular stove with another oven after seeing her try to do last thanksgiving with all the dishes to cook. And he wants a pot filler over the stove.
Also handy if it swings to the coffee pot.

Those pot filler faucets over a stove always made me nervous. Faucet over a sink always has a drain to drain the water away. But over a stove? And the cook gets momentarily distracted? Like an accident waiting to happen. And if it is an electric stove, oh boy....

Do not swing the first hammer until 100pct of fixtures cabinets floors etc are delivered and inspected. 6 months to get my flooring

Do not swing the first hammer until 100pct of fixtures cabinets floors etc are delivered and inspected. 6 months to get my flooring

100%. We just finished a kitchen gut and remodel with a new screen porch. They started September 2020 and the contract said they were to be done in February, yet I just paid the final invoice, 7 months later, last week. It was completely grueling being without a kitchen for so long. When I complained, the designer/contractor said, basically, “Not our problem, due to workers sick and/or quarantined throughout the process, supply chain disruptions for windows, countertops, appliances and faucets, and worker shortage. It’s the same with all of our clients.” (Yet they keep taking on new work to maintain their cash flow to make payroll.). We hate them, at this point.

And we worked with a reputable company, according to our research. After our recent horrible experience, OP, if I were you, I’d live with whatever you have until this thing is fully in the rear view mirror. If you go ahead, it’s your business, but be prepared for triple the timeline and 1.5x the cost that you sign up for.

I saved a lot of money be being my own general contractor for my small 1920s-era kitchen. It wasn't hard. First I picked out the cabinets and contacted a local distributor to supply and install them. They sent out a designer to do the sketch. Since most of the kitchen is cabinets and appliances, that all the design I needed. I then hired a handyman to do much of the grunt work including demo. Once the cabinets were in I bought and had the appliances installed, countertops from the countertop guy, tile backsplash from a tile setter, hardwood floor refinisher, etc. I myself did the final painting and decorative details. It came out beautifully and is wonderfully functional while being sensitive to the house's vintage charm.

My advice would be to pick out your cabinets and the designer will come with them. No need whatsoever for an architect unless you are doing major wall moving or other building.

The problem is the OP isn't sure she can afford cabinets on her budget. If you go to Lowes or something they can give them a complete quote which will give them a better idea for what they can and can't afford.

You don't have to buy the cabinets from Lowes but will get a good idea of over all cost...

We remodeled our kitchen a piece at a time. We replaced the tile countertops with granite tops and backsplashes. We also went with one big sink instead the divided ones. Now we can wash big pans flat.

As far as the cabinets, we had them refaced and the crappy drawers replaced.
We also replaced the white contractor grade appliances with better ones.

Attachments

• P2210108.jpg
    P2210108.jpg
    742.5 KB · Views: 70
  • P2210109.jpg
    P2210109.jpg
    578.7 KB · Views: 65
  • P2220110.jpg
    P2220110.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom