Latitudes Margaritaville 55 over communities

wallygator69

Recycles dryer sheets
Howdy,

Anyone live at or know anyone who lives in a Jimmy Buffet Latitudes community?

DW and I are thinking about an active community to retire into. We retired at 42 and are now 60. Both athletes and our bodies are breaking down. Tons of arthritis and neck disc issues. We golfed 4-5 times a week for years. Now we are down to 2-3 and guess in 10 years we will be less. Think a community with active clubs and such would be a good idea. Like to have beach access to....

Villages is just to big.

Any thoughts?

Thx

Wally

I've visited one here in Panama City Beach and was impressed with the homes, not so much with the area and congestion. It could be very different in other areas. The Margarittaville name is purchased for use by any developer so the companies are not linked that build these communities.

I am not a member of a community but a few weeks ago, I was visiting SIL in a 55+ community near Charleston, SC for a few days. I got to meet some community members while playing at the pickleball court. Took advantage of the fitness center among a few other things. People were extremely friendly and welcoming. SIL has made friends quickly and is involved in a few things.

It is not a place where I (we) would like to live right now. But, after our visit, it did become a consideration. If you would have asked me before the visit, I would have told you it was not on our list.

I met a couple who bought into one of the original ones and they had no idea who JImmy Buffett was, or even cared. They did a introduction weekend there and just loved the whole vibe.

OP here.

Thanks. We are going to visit the one in Daytona which is built out. Think Daytona may be to crowded. There is one near Hilton Head that is probably 25% complete. They have a stay and Play for $199 a night for 3 nights but I suspect they give you a one time only Sales Pitch Deal....

Thanks .

Hopefully I get a few more thoughts..

OP here.

Thanks. We are going to visit the one in Daytona which is built out. Think Daytona may be to crowded. There is one near Hilton Head that is probably 25% complete. They have a stay and Play for $199 a night for 3 nights but I suspect they give you a one time only Sales Pitch Deal....

Thanks .

Hopefully I get a few more thoughts..

We visited the one in Daytona, it is located behind a large AutoMall and near (not too close) to the 95 freeway. It is a fair trek from the beach that can get quite congested. I think they have a beach club, or they used to. The homes are VERY well-built concrete block which is good. We live an hour North in St. Augustine and thought our current location was better so we stayed put. We are not in a 55+ but we are gated.

Last edited:
I know 3 or 4 couples that live in The Villages and checked out the Daytona location. Their comments were such that I would not consider relocating there. None of them relocated there either. I may go check it out someday just out of curiosity.

You might also check into some of the Del Webb communities as many of them have fitness centers, golf, clubs, activities, etc.

I was looking into FL 55 communities. I read some complaints online about build quality at a few Florida Margaritaville and Del Webb ones. That probably varies by builder though. As someone upthread mentioned, they just license the name.

Some communities seem to focus spend and energy on all the amenities and interior upgrades, but may cheap out on the home construction itself.

In Northeastern Fl particularly (Jax, Tallahassee, St Aug), I was surprised to find newer adult community homes are wood frame vs CBS (concrete block). Maybe not a big deal in other states, but in FL?

(In Central and South FL, CBS seems to be standard and CBS is actually required by Miami-Dade building codes.) Fla building codes don't require it.

Anyhow...above is just some addtl background as you search. I was told by several realtors that "this is the build standard here" and these communities are indeeed selling well, so I guess many people aren't concerned. I wouldn't be comfortable buying.

We just recently purchased in Del Webb Lakewood Ranch. It’s all CBS construction. The oldest homes in the community are now 8 years old. We bought a 5 year old resale. The final homes being constructed are just now being completed. I haven’t heard of any serious quality issues with any of the homes.

The amenities and clubs here are great. Many more options than we will likely ever take advantage of. There are many other communities in Lakewood Ranch - some 55+ and others not age restricted - that have awesome amenities and social opportunities. Ask to see the resident newsletter and activity calendar. Also ask if there are clubs/activities not on the official community calendar. For example at Del Webb, the only activities on the official calendar are those planned by the full-time Lifestyle Director who works for the management company. There are dozens of other activities planned by resident interest groups/clubs.

I was looking into FL 55 communities. I read some complaints online about build quality at a few Florida Margaritaville and Del Webb ones. That probably varies by builder though. As someone upthread mentioned, they just license the name.

Some communities seem to focus spend and energy on all the amenities and interior upgrades, but may cheap out on the home construction itself.

In Northeastern Fl particularly (Jax, Tallahassee, St Aug), I was surprised to find newer adult community homes are wood frame vs CBS (concrete block). Maybe not a big deal in other states, but in FL?

(In Central and South FL, CBS seems to be standard and CBS is actually required by Miami-Dade building codes.) Fla building codes don't require it.

Anyhow...above is just some addtl background as you search. I was told by several realtors that "this is the build standard here" and these communities are indeeed selling well, so I guess many people aren't concerned. I wouldn't be comfortable buying.

I have been a NE Florida resident since 1966 and have been surprised that more homes are not built out of concrete block or monolithic concrete pour. A good size hurricane can wipe out stick frame houses in very large area as evidenced by Andrew, Charlie, Wilma and Michael. I would rather live in a quonset hut above the flood level.

I have been a NE Florida resident since 1966 and have been surprised that more homes are not built out of concrete block or monolithic concrete pour. A good size hurricane can wipe out stick frame houses in very large area as evidenced by Andrew, Charlie, Wilma and Michael. I would rather live in a quonset hut above the flood level.

We fully agree! Our 2003 CB Home is built like a Brick S#!thouse (British phrase for really strong). We would never consider a stick home anywhere in Florida or even below South Carolina.

Builders are simply cutting corners and it will come back to bite their customers in the long run. Don't believe us, just look at the insurance cost differences between a CB home and a stick home. That and being 10' or better above sea level (X Flood Zone) are the 2 most important attributes for your Florida home.

Back
Top Bottom