Life after....

Kristinia

Dryer sheet aficionado
Good evening all - I am about 10 days away from RE. Not sure it is really RE as I am 57 this year....yikes 57! Wait I digress....my leaving the w*rk world has not gone exactly the way I had planned but it is happening all the same. My question to all of you that have gone before me...what advice do you have for those stepping lightly into this new world and embarking in this new chapter? Are there mistakes that you made that perhaps you would like to share? This is not about the FI part but more about moving into this next phase of life. I have been working since I was 15 and to not work or go to work seems at the least very strange.

Thanks and I look forward to great sage advice :)

I was going to answer, but then you mentioned 'sage advice', and I realized I'd wandered into the wrong thread.

Go easy the first year, make sure life is grand. Travel lightly and often, have fun, make plenty of plans for 3-12 months out so you always have a 3 month plan.

You may be pleasantly surprised at how quickly you adapt to your new "normal." I never missed w*rk and never regretted ER. My dad never did adapt to retirement and looked for j*bs until he could no longer w*rk. My guess is life will fill the vacuum left by your w*rk but YMMV. Good luck.

Different people have different needs. I like to have at least some measurable structure to my days without overloading them - going for a walk, going to the gym, write a novel, travel, study something new, do some volunteer work or whatever but they are things of my choosing and and done purely because I choose to do them.

You could consider drawing up a list of things that might interest you and pick one to start with ... or not. Retirement is what you decide it should be.

Enjoy.

You may be pleasantly surprised at how quickly you adapt to your new "normal." I never missed w*rk and never regretted ER.

+1. I RE'd in March. Haven't had any downside yet. I would just focus on enjoying the lower stress existence, having things to do, and having some social interaction. That does it for me.

+1. I RE'd in March. Haven't had any downside yet. I would just focus on enjoying the lower stress existence, having things to do, and having some social interaction. That does it for me.

+1.
As Bugs Bunny would say, "unlax..." :LOL:

Ignore advice from your not-retired friends and family about what you should be doing with your time.

"The Protestant Work Ethic" is all you really have to fear, by yourself or others.

What he said.

I started working mowing lawns when I was 13, but it wasn't really a business, it was sporadic and "catch as catch can" type of thing. But it set a precedent that I was unaware of for decades, that I should be "doing something useful". Always. For a while there after retirement I was actually feeling a bit guilty because I wasn't doing that.

Then "the light dawned over Marble head" and I realized that I'd worked long enough to get to the point where I was - all I have to do is maintain a pulse and they send me money. And other than basic adult responsibilities (and keep DW happy) I don't have to do anything I don't want to.

Think about it - not since you were a teenager, and perhaps never before in your life, have you had so much freedom and so few responsibilities. Enjoy the freedom!

What he said.

I started working mowing lawns when I was 13, but it wasn't really a business, it was sporadic and "catch as catch can" type of thing. But it set a precedent that I was unaware of for decades, that I should be "doing something useful". Always. For a while there after retirement I was actually feeling a bit guilty because I wasn't doing that.

Then "the light dawned over Marble head" and I realized that I'd worked long enough to get to the point where I was - all I have to do is maintain a pulse and they send me money. And other than basic adult responsibilities (and keep DW happy) I don't have to do anything I don't want to.

Think about it - not since you were a teenager, and perhaps never before in your life, have you had so much freedom and so few responsibilities. Enjoy the freedom!

Really good point about "need to do something useful". DW is still struggling with this guilty feeling. Me, I got over that in about two seconds. :LOL: But different strokes for different folks, as they say

If you haven't done a will or estate plan, do one. You don't want to worry about the state deciding where your assets go.
Also think about your end of life planning, from potential nursing home care to what type of burial or cremation you want. Funeral and cemetery costs double every 7-8 years. Planning now takes the burden off your kids.

Thank you!

Thank you all for the great advice! I knew I came to the right place. Yes I am starting to let it dawn on me that this (RE) is going to be great. DH still has 8 months to go and is quite jealous but he will be there soon. It is interesting how my thoughts and attitudes are slowly changing. As I train my replacement and I go over all of the responsibilities I currently have, I find myself getting lighter. Knowing that I no longer have to keep straight the office politics and who said what about whom and whose job it now is etc, makes me happy that I have a countdown. As I sit here with my dog at my feet and coffee in my hand, I think I feel happiness that soon my "office politics" will well be about....nothing :) The dog (Dakota) may complain about her dinner being late but that will be ok and easily handled :)

I look forward to reading this forum each day and learning more and more. :cool:

Last edited:
Also as you approach the end of time, consider writing a draft of your eulogy:
What I want to be remember for?

Mr. Koogie, Esquire. 1837-2017

A man of few words.
Some say those were still to many.

:LOL:

Last edited:
My standard reply to pre-retirees is "I don't know how I ever found time to w*rk."

It really sums up what the last 15 months have been like, for me. A couple of big trips, a couple of big projects, and lots of helping out family and neighbors. But mostly, time to do all the things I "should" have been doing around the house all along.

And, (shhh, don't tell anyone) lots of time to do whatever I want, even if it's only sitting in front of a computer offering sage advice to other soon-to-be retirees.

First, congratulations on your pending retirement! It is an accomplishment of which you should be proud.

Second, pace yourself. When I first retired I think I tried to do everything on my 3 year to do list in one week. I was exhausted. Enjoy not only the accomplishment of tasks, but the process as well. Take your time and do the things that you want to do and do them right.

First, congratulations on your pending retirement! It is an accomplishment of which you should be proud.

Second, pace yourself. When I first retired I think I tried to do everything on my 3 year to do list in one week. I was exhausted. Enjoy not only the accomplishment of tasks, but the process as well. Take your time and do the things that you want to do and do them right.

+1
Try not to overcommit yourself. Recognize that you have plenty of time to explore things that interest you and/or do projects that need to be done someday. Take time to smell the roses. Congratulations & enjoy your ER!![emoji322]

Back
Top Bottom