Living in Texas or New Mexico

vic said:
Out in the county you can get much cheaper stuff. I looked at a 3/1/1 for rental. Asking price was 29K, average rent $650. Backed out because of a pain in the ass realtor. Some good deals around though. My colleague bought a brick duplex a few months ago. Total rent $1300. Total monthly cost $650. Got to be lucky to get them though.

Vicky,

Vicky, 29K for a house!
What condition was it in?
Any recomendations on where to find good deals in Texas.

It was out in the county on 0.25 acre - hour or so from Austin. I think it was 1000 sqft. New sceptic. Mainly cosmetic stuff was needed: new carpets, paint, some holes in walls, new stove/fridge, roof had another 2 years left. Total about $4K to make it rentable. Siding was some particle board type stuff - ok condition but not not too wild about it. Community had HOA, pool, clubhouse and lake. Mix of houses and mobiles but clean - working class type of thing. Basically a cheap house that you could milk for rent but not want to live in yourself.

I could not tell you where the good deals are - I would have gotten one myself already. This one looked like to much work relative to the returns. I only do commercial real estate partnerships at this time - no hassle, great return.

vic said:
Not everybody is a redneck or feels comfortable in a population of 100% rednecks:)

Already had the perpetual burning cross (electric) across the street - I think it was religious. Maybe to fend of the evil influence of my non-christian husband with not-so-white skin?

I think I am very sensible to move

I do not think that I could survive there. It is a good thing to move.

vic said:
Siding was some particle board type stuff - ok condition but not not too wild about it.

Ahh...hardboard siding...my favorite...that they're still making it is a miracle to me.

Hardboard siding is pressed from sawdust and wood particles along with binders, then laminated. Unfortunately in many climates it "pops" fibers, delaminates, and unless you paint the back and sides of it before installing it and then caulk all the nail heads annually, the exposed parts start absorbing water and expanding. Once it gets started absorbing and swelling, its out of control and needs to be replaced within a few years. Sort of like cardboard thats been left out in the rain, dried out, and then rained on again.

I got a good lesson in this stuff a few years ago and managed to sell the house with a nice low-key disclosure before having to do $20k worth of siding work. Wont buy a piece of property dressed in it again.

How about the tech area of North Dallas? Anyone have opinions? I'm considering a move there from California (currently Bay Area but lived most of my life in San Diego).

Property taxes there on a large $200k house are definitely less than the taxes on a $600k condo here (and that's a small condo!) and no income tax there. Our sales tax is 8.25% so that's not too different. It's the culture and the tornados I worry about. On the other hand, I don't like the bay area and we have earthquakes. So what else am I missing? Obviously something or everyone would be selling their houses and heading to Texas.

Let me see if I can help you there.

Two phrases:

"YEEEEEEEEEEEHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

and

"Hey y'all...watch this..."

:D

tashina said:
So what else am I missing? Obviously something or everyone would be selling their houses and heading to Texas.
Not necessarily. Many people have community, friendship and family ties that they would rather not leave behind.

Ha

I have lived and worked in San Francisco and am a native Texan.  You may find the biggest issue to be culture shock between the two locales. You might miss the City by the Bay.   But Texans can be very nice, as measured by the "time spent on the side of the road until someone stops to ask if you need help" standard.

The human side of Texas is a real upgrade to consider. If you are tired of being out spent for squalid condos in the Tenderloin, live around "friends" that suggest that being straight and eating meat are both reasons for seeing a Jungian therapist, and you want to have what seems like a normal lifesyle, pick Texas - Dallas area. If you are attuned to living the life bohmian in a true cultural theme park, stay by the bay.

Family ties will keep me where I am. Fortunately, I could do worse than San Diego. Otherwise I'd be in Northern Cal. or somewhere between Seattle and Vancouver.

I really like the Olympia WA. area between April and September. San Diego is nice, but, as you would have to admit Laurance, the secret is out as to the place. My Uncle left the Navy and lived there during the 50's and 60's and I recall during family trips to see him that SD was just idyllic. Those were the days when only Navy vets who had actually been on ship and carnival workers had tattoos. 8)

Yeah, crowds/congestion could force us out. I'm hoping since we won't have to drive during rush hour in retirement, it won't deteriorate our experience too much!

Grand Banks said:
Isnt that the most frequently uttered last words of the most recently deceased texan? ;)

Nope, it's actually "Lord if I have to die, I'm glad I died in Texas!"

JG

So that comes after the "hey y'all...watch this!" then? Maybe the darwin video people cut the tape right before they make that last utterance... :-\

Houston is TEXAS on steroids with a bad attitude, its crazy to drive there, and the summers are hot/humid and very lousy, but its if you need medical care (and can afford it) the Texas Medical center is a real plus.

RK said:
I know parts of Texas fairly well, but with the perspective of someone who grew up elsewhere. 

Austin is a pretty good place to live.  Decent scenery, mild winters, a lot of musical entertainment.  The population is better educated and yes, more liberal than the rest of the state.  Housing is relatively (for Tx) expensive unless you live "way out".  Property taxes are obscene.  Summers can be very hot and fairly humid even when it doesn't rain for a month at a time. The town doesn't "feel" overly large though traffic can be heavy at times...it just depends.  Lots of water if you like to boat or fish.  Though fairly diverse, it is still Texas and by that I mean an underlying culture of God, Guns, Football, and Bar-b-Q.  If none of these things fascinate you...well, you get my drift.

Dallas is bigger and more "Texan".  Money oriented.  Not noted for it's natural beauty.  Big Bugs.  Still, if you like big cities you could do worse.

Houston is rougher, bigger and a very distant third IMO.

That's my quick (not so balanced) take  ;)

"Big D" is indeed flat as a pancake. I recall being surprised that I could
see downtown Dallas from 15 miles away. I agree Houston is not
nearly as appealing as Dallas. You know my views on Austin.

JG

wildcat said:
Haven't heard much about the forgotten TX city, San Antonio

Think Northern Mexico. Scorpions, fire ants, snakes, roaches, termites (and that's just the city government). Oppressive heat and humidity, unreasonably high cost for city water due to surface water phobia (that stuff is polluted!) and resulting reliance on fragile and strained underground aquifer. Exhorbitant property taxes and a combined sales tax rate of 8.25%.

Culture? The symphony orchestra doubles as a mariachi band on weekends.

Fugghetaboudit.

On the plus side, we do have a heck of an NBA team. Go Spurs! :D

REW

REWahoo! said:
Think Northern Mexico.  Scorpions, fire ants, snakes, roaches, termites (and that's just the city government).  Oppressive heat and humidity, unreasonably high cost for city water due to surface water phobia (that stuff is polluted!) and resulting reliance on fragile and strained underground aquifer.  Exhorbitant property taxes and a combined sales tax rate of 8.25%. 

Culture?  The symphony orchestra doubles as a mariachi band on weekends. 

Fugghetaboudit.

On the plus side, we do have a heck of an NBA team.  Go Spurs! :D

REW

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah! (Howard Dean screech) :)

JG

Gonna be a great final: Detroit v.s. San Antonio. Talk about a clash of cultures.

REW,

Don't you live in Texas too? What is all the bitching about? (Maybe another JG strategy to keep people out of here)

Vicky

Never, Never underestimate the power of Walmart, McDonalds, Coke - or the great American Icon - THE CREDIT CARD to - aculturize the the unwashed.

Today America - tomorrow the world - er ah didn't someone already say that.

In the end - they all will sucome to the American Way.

Heh, heh, heh, heh.

Damn - I hate I missed the thick of the conversation concerning Austin. I think Austin is "Heaven on Earth".
Yes, the property taxes are someone high but no state income tax. In my opinion anywhere around Austin is nice - rolling hills, very educated people, open minded unlike a lot of the South and tons of things to do - 1.5 hr from San Antonio, 3 hr from Dallas and Houston.
Yes Austin does have a California influence due to the tech business and UT (50,000) - but the quality of life is excellent. If you want country within 15 miles, if you want urban one of the best cities to live, if you like lakes - Canyon, Travis, Buchanan. Very similar to Boulder, Colo.

KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD!!!

Back
Top Bottom