moving to a new city/state...

We moved to Denver from Albany, NY 2 years ago. We love it. The beauty of the state is unsurpassed. We both ski and love music and Colorado has both in spades. Folks are friendly, lots of restaurants/bars to choose from and it's (kinda) halfway between our kids in Buffalo, NY and Mesa, AZ

I am a single man. Through my life, I have moved to different cities 3x for a new job and 3x because I just wanted to do something different. That took me to the DC area, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, Dallas, Pittsburgh and finally back to the small NW PA town I was born in. I will stay here until my 85 year old mother passes away.

But I don’t see me staying in this location after that (assuming I outlive her). I have family here, but don’t feel overly attached to them. However, I’m currently not feeling a strong attraction to any particular new location or lifestyle. I’m always on the lookout and always reading about suggested areas. But it hasn’t jumped at me yet. I hope it does at some point.

I’m currently not feeling a strong attraction to any particular new location or lifestyle. I’m always on the lookout and always reading about suggested areas. But it hasn’t jumped at me yet. I hope it does at some point.

Probably more common than most people think.
When I was single I was in the military and traveled an incredible amount, both domestically and overseas. I always knew I didn't want to end up living where I grew up (NYC) but I was greatly attracted to so many different places it was nearly impossible to decide on where my eventual home would be. I loved city A for this reason, B for that reason, etc., etc.

This is why the advice most commonly given here is to pick a place and live there (renting) for six months to a year before committing to it. Even if you have to do that 4 or 5 times, it's well worth the effort.

Probably more common than most people think.
When I was single I was in the military and traveled an incredible amount, both domestically and overseas. I always knew I didn't want to end up living where I grew up (NYC) but I was greatly attracted to so many different places it was nearly impossible to decide on where my eventual home would be. I loved city A for this reason, B for that reason, etc., etc.

This is why the advice most commonly given here is to pick a place and live there (renting) for six months to a year before committing to it. Even if you have to do that 4 or 5 times, it's well worth the effort.

We got very lucky. We went to the Islands one time and started looking for a place to live there. 2nd visit, we bought but waited 24 years to move. In the mean time, we visited 10 more times (maybe a total of 6 months on vacation.) SO, when we moved, the only thing we wanted (needed) to change was (wait for it) the place we bought 24 years before!

So, words to live by: Rent for 6 months!

I am planning to move to the Cincinnati area to be nearer family - eventually :) I have a long time frame - 3-5 years. You'd think that would make a good situation for planning, but it completely stymies real estate planning. No agent wants to talk with that kind of time frame - and what would they say, anyway? They can't foretell the future. And I'm also afraid to look hard, in fear of seeing a good buy that I'm not ready for!

When I sell my house I will be able to buy with cash, but not before then. I can stay with my relatives for a couple of months, but shouldn't prolong it. So I'm

Has anyone ever developed a long term plan for moving to another place? I guess what I need to do is keep readying the house for sale - and that's a gradual process in itself, as I save up the money for this or that improvement and then execute it. Then have a "pre-inspection" before I seriously start marketing it so I do those adjustments first. Or should I have the pre-inspection as soon as possible? For example, a friend of mine moved and found all sorts of things had to be "brought up to code" such as different smoke alarms.

I am planning to move to the Cincinnati area to be nearer family - eventually :) I have a long time frame - 3-5 years. You'd think that would make a good situation for planning, but it completely stymies real estate planning. No agent wants to talk with that kind of time frame - and what would they say, anyway? They can't foretell the future. And I'm also afraid to look hard, in fear of seeing a good buy that I'm not ready for!

You could check out neighborhoods while you are preparing to move, as well as get a feel for the market. Then you would know where to focus when you are ready.

You could also join facebook groups and reddit groups for Cincinnati. I've done that for several locations that we are considering moving to in the next 2-3 years. I've learned a few things already from afar.

You could also join facebook groups and reddit groups for Cincinnati. I've done that for several locations that we are considering moving to in the next 2-3 years. I've learned a few things already from afar.

That's a good idea! I do have family in the area who are keeping an eye out for me. I'm already a member of the Cincinnati Birders Facebook group to (priorities!)

Although we built a new construction house, we still lived in our motorhome for approx 6 months from selling old house, moving 1500 miles cross country to Cincinnati, and moving into our new house. I was happy to have the motorhome available, and more happy to finally move into the new house.

Although you have relatives in the area, let me know if you want to discuss some about Cincinnati.

Back
Top Bottom