Living in Texas or New Mexico

AltaRed said:
FWIW, I am a temporary resident in South Texas...finishing off a 3 year expat assignment.  Thought TX was a pretty nice place to live and potentially a place to spend winter months (in Corpus Christi area) but becoming more and more disenchanted as it leans more and more to the right. 

Too much religious right fundamentalism rearing its head, the recent Austin attempt to re-distribute tax revenues from property owners to consumers is another right wing plot, and gun toting is becoming hazardous to one's health.  Hopefully it is only a matter of time before the latino population and/or the Dems take over again and make this state a more humane place to live.

However, if all what is happening suits one's personality, then I would vote for Corpus Christi area if you are into water things (the first true blue water you can get consistently along texas coast), the hill country area west of Austin (despite climbing prices and urbanization), or the area just north of Conroe along I45 (just far enough from Houston - but gorgeous geography). 

DW and I just might do the Corpus Christi thing for 2-3 winter months each year once we retire.

God, guns and guts built America. Happily they are all alive and well
in Texas!

JG

Back
Top Bottom