Need to justify your spending?

ex_CFO_now_RVer

Recycles dryer sheets
Why do we feel the need to justify what we do? Those of us who have a motorhome, large home, lavish vacations, fishing trips, expensive cars, large SUV's are questioned about how we justify the expense. Is envy or what ?

My sister built a million dollar, second home on Lake Erie but does not understand why we spent $200,000 on an RV.

How do you handle the questions or criticisms?

Dave

ex_CFO_now_RVer said:
Why do we feel the need to justify what we do? Those of us who have a motorhome, large home, lavish vacations, fishing trips, expensive cars, large SUV's are questioned about how we justify the expense. Is envy or what ?

My sister built a million dollar, second home on Lake Erie but does not understand why we spent $200,000 on an RV.

Dave

By being absolutely sure that the purchase was exactly what I wanted to do with that money, more than anything in the world.

When you really KNOW you did the right thing, other peoples' mistaken opinions just seem, well, uninformed and unfortunate. Then it is easier to handle them graciously.

Dave,

One thing I have learned is I do not worry about others opinions unless they are paying my bills. Since no one puts money into my checking account for me to spend, I could care less what they think. That is not to say that I do not seek out counsel of those I respect and trust on financial matters becuase I do, rather I just let the others blather on.

Perhaps your sister is just concerned and feels her brother hasn't enough brains to make intelligent financial choices!!! Sibling rivalry should end at the age of majority, but some folks seem to carry it through life unfortunately!

While some purchases create more ambivalence than others do within my own value system, I am waaay over feeling the need to "justify" any purchase.

It is fun, though, to explain and hear others explain what might seem like impulsive or overindulgent purchases. Usually I learn a lot about the purchase myself. In fact, what I learned here was a substantial part of our decision to by an RV, both informational, lifestyle etc.

I've only been criticized for NOT spending. :D

$200,000:confused::confused::confused:?? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Just kidding. Do what makes you happy. Whoever questions a purchase or decision you make, just tell them you don't have to justify it to anyone other than yourself. And maybe your wife. :-\

Are you asking why do they do it or why does it bother you?

You have to first care what the other person thinks for it to bother you. Perhaps why you care is a question worth lookng at.

Why do people question or criticize? There's lots of different possibilities. An older sibling may have leftover feelings of responisibility. Could be they are simply being jelous. Maybe they feel left out and want attention. That's an issue between you and the other person that's hard to dig into from the outside.

And maybe they know something you missed. I've made enough mistakes in my life to be wary of presuming that everyone that questions my decisions is an idiot. I guess the goal is just not to get emotional about it.

Well you gotta admit that spending $200,000 on a motorhome does seem to be a pretty insane thing to do, right? My god! That's as much as a HOUSE plus land costs for goodness sake! And RVs depreciate!

It still blows my mind that we spent that much on ours! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Audrey

Yeah, but how cool is it to be able to drive your house around. :D

This thread is a refreshing break from the usual crap here critizing others for spending habits that the posters feel will keep them from FIRE. You know the ones......"my brother spends like a drunken sailor and will never be able to retire." Or, "I need to say something to my friends at work because they keep buying new cars and aren't saving 90% of their income like me!" :LOL:

Folks that are spending need to justify nothing. ;)

If you got it...spend it as long as you will still have it later when you need it. Other than that...tell the detractors to take a hike.

LBYM is relative to your assets. $200k in annual income to some IS LBYM; while to others it is insane. We are all different.

ex_CFO_now_RVer said:

Dave

Take out a $100 bill and burn that sucker. Then say, "Anything else you wanted to know?"

Ha

i like ha's visual aids. unless your sister gave you the $200k under the assumption of another purpose for the $s, you not only don't have to justify squat but also she's got no right to judge.

Did you and Audrey have to take training to drive those suckers?

73ss454 said:
Yeah, but how cool is it to be able to drive your house around. :D
It is SO totally cool! And my house gets 8.5 miles per gallon! Not bad when you consider it's my HOUSE, and I'm pulling a car behind too.

Audrey

donheff said:
Did you and Audrey have to take training to drive those suckers?
Well, no. The only training I got were a couple of "test drives" from the dealer. There really isn't training readily available unless you already own one - very catch 22. It was purely a matter of gritting the teeth and just doing it in my case (my husband doesn't drive). It took me about 1000 miles to start to get comfortable.

But in TX I did have to take the MH to the DPS office and take a driving test for a Class B license - something that is required if the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is over 26,000 pounds. So this only applies to the heavier diesel motorhomes.

Audrey

The answer is the same as for the question "why does a dog lick his balls?".

'Cause he can... :LOL:

SteveR said:
LBYM is relative to your assets. $200k in annual income to some IS LBYM; while to others it is insane. We are all different.

Well said. And once retired, what's the point of LBYM? LAYM should be the new motto.

Sam said:
Well said. And once retired, what's the point of LBYM? LAYM should be the new motto.

I assume LAYM= living AT your means rather than living ABOVE your means. ;)

Who cares what others think? Yes, it's envy............... ;)

I would never spend $200K on a motor home, but $700K on a lake home, SURE!!!!

My MIL recently built her dreamhouse for about 2 million. I was there when the first comment came in. Someone said to her "It must be nice to be rich." and she unapologetically replied "Why yes, it is!".

bostonjoe said:
My MIL recently built her dreamhouse for about 2 million. I was there when the first comment came in. Someone said to her "It must be nice to be rich." and she unapologetically replied "Why yes, it is!".

... or maybe, "Yes, it is. Especially when you have earned every penny of it."

I'm enjoying the contrast between this thread and the usual "how do I help my friends/family accept that they need to save more" threads.

Back
Top Bottom