Nook vs Kindle

ferco

Recycles dryer sheets
What has been the experience of the group of either or both. What are the pros and cons. How conveinient is it to hold this "tablet" while reading as opposed to a traditional book. What about the relative costs ?

I have been reading books on my smartphone for about 10 years. When I retired, Megacorp gave me a Kindle. I have tried to use it several times but have had trouble comfortably holding it. I have large hands and have developed the habit of holding the phone with one hand and turning the pages with my thumb (one handed operation). The Kindle is a two handed operation as the page turn buttons are on the sides in the middle and I cannot reach the button with my thumb.

This habit of one handed reading/page turning has turned me away from paper books.

I am thinking that the use of the Kindle is similar to reading a paper book. Two hands required. One plus is that the Kindle is lighter than most books and easy to carry in a large pocket or bag. The down side is there are some limitations on where you can get your books.

I have not used a Nook so cannot comment on that.

Summary: The experience should be not too different from a paper book.

Often public libraries have ebooks that can be checked out.

Not sure about the current kindles... but at one time they did not support certain ebook formats and therefore could not be used to read public library ebooks.

Check with your public library to see what ebook readers they recommend.... if you intend to use your public library's ebooks.

The Kindle is just OK (I have the first, early version), and from what I've seen of the Nook, that seems to be a bit better.

However, the Kindle software is also available as an app that I can use on my iPad and iPhone, which I like very much (and use a lot).

I own the Kindle DX. I bought it because it had a larger screen then the other Ereaders available at the time. I only have 2 problems with it, there is no night light (but paper books don't have therm either) and the short battery life which has vastly improved with the newer models. Beginning next month you will have access to library books so that negative is removed.

The thing is that I live close to a library and I prefer borrowing a book for free rather then buying it. I also prefer the feel of a book in my hands but otherwise I am very happywith my Kindle.

I like reading one handed on my iPod touch in the dark. The latter is immeasurable advantage when reading in a tent. If it weren't for those things, I'd have a kindle or other reader, since I'd like to read more between page turns, and have bigger letters.

I have a Nook . It is slightly heavier than a Kindle but otherwise pretty similar . I would not buy a reader that does not have the ability to get library books easily . I also like the Barnes & Noble recommendations .They seem to do a better job than Amazon.Last week we had torrential rains and if I didn't have my Nook I would have ended up reading the back of cereal boxes !:)

My brother prefers the Nook. Color support and better SW is his feeling. I have a Kindle DX which has great battery life and easy screen reading. The keyboard is not easy to use.

Ii is still early for e-readers. Their functionality is limited, even with the large screen, and SW is also a bit rough. Substantial improvements in functionality and performance are likely in the near future. In the meantime I do not intend to spend a great deal on reading material.

My son gave me a kindle for Morher's Day. I wouldn't buy it myself, but I do like it. What I don't like is that the cost of most books are still $12 or so, and most don't come with the photos that a book has. Unless someone happens to mention in the reviews on Amazon that the photos are missing, you don't know until you buy it. So many nonfiction books mention photos or illustrations that you won't have. When I have complained, Amazon has refunded my money.

Oh, and my son gave me a Kindle cover that has a built in nightlight, which I find very useful.

What I don't like is that the cost of most books are still $12 or so, and most don't come with the photos that a book has.
That's a bargain for a new bestseller which goes for $25-30 in hardcover. But for anything that's been out for a while it's cheaper to buy a hardcover/paperback version used. Otherwise, you pay for the convenience factor of having it on your e-reader.

With my handle, I had to weigh in on this thread!

I cannot help with the Nook vs Kindle choice, but can relay my nook experiences. For the longest time I resisted the jump to an e-reader as I always loved to read new fiction in hardcover or paperback. But I must admit after taking the plunge, I have never looked back. I have an older B&W nook with wireless and 3g and have probably ready over 30 books with it. It provides a convenient mechanism to take your reading on the road without having to pack a bunch of books. When on vacation I just need my iPod and my nook and I can sit under an umbrella and pass away the afternoon, while beckoning the raoming server for an occasional adult beverage.

The color version is supposed to be even better, but for my needs I just download and read and don't need a bunch of ancillary apps or functions. I am currently reading the new Brad Thor "Full Back" and just recently finished the latest Clancy.

You can resize or change the the fonts to make the text easier to read, especially for older eyes. Cost for new releases is about $12.99, so the ebooks don't tend to be super bargains from discounted new releases, but if you find a new author you enjoy (L. Childs or N. De Mille) you can get older works at cheaper prices. The nook was also compatible with the library for checking out ebooks. B&N also has a Free Fridays, where you can download a featured author's work for free. I read one of these and it was enjoyable, although most are not my genre. You can also lend ebook to other nooks, so if DW or DH each had one they can share.

Also makes gift giving easy as I am delighted by B&N gift cards that I register into my account and burn down with new downloads.

Nook

Biggest knock against the Kindle is the format is not open. You can put epub and such on a kindle, but its not intuitive. Lots of free stuff out there in epub, but a lot of it is being produced in Kindle too. There is also free software programs that will translate. Wife has one and it had a crack in the case. Amazon replaced it for free, even paid for shipping. Good battery life, even with the cover with the built in night light.

That's why I bought an iPad. I downloaded the Kindle and iBook apps and can read just about anything out there.

I confess --- I am a NOOK JUNKIE! I have both the Nook Color and the newer B&W. I love them both! I like to read in bed for a awhile before nodding off. The Nook Color has a great back-light that keeps me from disturbing my husband when reading in bed at night. An LED light atop of the E-ink Nook would drive him nuts. However, during the day, I usually use the E-ink Nook as the battery lasts forever and it is so easy on the eyes.

My daughter and I share library cards. She lives elsewhere. I put $75 on my Nook account when I first purchased a Nook. My account still has $50 left in it. I have been very pleased with the books that I have been able to obtain from the public library. Were I only to purchase one Nook and the night-time light wasn't such a huge issue --- I would buy the new E-ink Nook.

BTW-another plus for the B&W E-ink....it is light as a feather.

I also use it to read manuals that only come on CD..i.e. a camera manual. Also, for notes to myself on other topics.

Why would anyone buy anything else than an iPad? You can read nook, Kendal, iBooks, etc. You can get your email, or surf the web. There's even an Early Retirement app! This is an easy choice if you think about it.

We chose the Kobo because of size and weight and battery life. Also the Touch and WiFi make it OK to check email or occasional surfing. Like the BW Nook for Chapters/Indigo users.

SafeHourbor, People by an e-reader because they don't want to spend $600 on an iPad. And, I think they e-book readers are easier to read in bright light, but I may be wrong there.

I have a Kindle and love it - easy on the eyes and it will go at least a month without charging.

SafeHourbor, People by an e-reader because they don't want to spend $600 on an iPad. And, I think they e-book readers are easier to read in bright light, but I may be wrong there.

Yes, you're right -- those are the two main points. And the iPad is heavier.

I've been holding off an an e-reader purchase. I'm waiting to see what the next generation of Kindle, anticipated later this year, will offer. Here's what it comes down to for me:

Nook advantages
  • Can read library books (epub format).
  • Has touch screen.

Kindle advantages

I'm hoping the next Kindle will improve its browser and add the other two features. Amazon has been avoiding the epub format as long as possible, but it's now rumored that it will finally give in.

I'm a Kindle owner (3rd/latest generation) and love it. Have tried other ereaders in stores but none seems as user friendly. Being on its 3rd version, the Kindle has worked out a lot of the little kinks. It's reasonably priced, the battery lasts me a month, and the screen is easy on the eyes: I already use a computer at least 8 hours a day, and don't need more eyestrain from backlit screens.

Most of the books on my Kindle are free, downloaded from places like gutenberg.org. Amazon says some form of library lending is coming soon.

Oh, the "experimental" web browser does suck though. I'd only use it as a last resort.

I have large hands and have developed the habit of holding the phone with one hand and turning the pages with my thumb (one handed operation). The Kindle is a two handed operation as the page turn buttons are on the sides in the middle and I cannot reach the button with my thumb.

GSParks2,
I am the same as you, large hands and like to read with one hand... I have the Kindle and the case that has an "elastic" band around it... when I open the case and use the band to hold the case open, I can then fit my hand in between the covers and hold the book with my right hand while turning pages with my right thumb.. works great.

If my description did not make sense, let me know and I will load a picture...

I use my iPad when traveling for reading books and when in Europe, as English books are sometimes hard to come by and expensive (am a big fan of the public library in the US!). I also just prefer the real thing, the smell and feel of a real book.

Btw, does anyone else lick their finger before swiping the top right corner of your iPad or eReader to turn the page? I still do that... Can't seem to break the habit.. :)

Queenie

I just saw a Kobo for $70 at the Borders going out if business sale.

That is about $10 below the going rate for used. But I doubt it is the WiFi Touch version. Most of the ads are from people wanting to upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom