Nook vs Kindle

DW has the Kobo. She likes it because it was so cheap that if she accidentally leaves it on a plane or similar she will not be crushed. She is happy with its performance.

Chuckanut said:
SafeHourbor, People by an e-reader because they don't want to spend $600 on an iPad. And, I think they e-book readers are easier to read in bright light, but I may be wrong there.

Basic iPad (which is awesome in a head to head comparison) on Amazon is $475 not $600. Reading in light is not an issue (it is on my MacBook Pro). Weight is an issue unless you can prop it on your thigh it does get "heavy". But over all I don't you'll find any iPad owners that would rather have a Kendal or a Nook. The IPad experience is "Magical".

I use my iPad when traveling for reading books and when in Europe, as English books are sometimes hard to come by and expensive (am a big fan of the public library in the US!). I also just prefer the real thing, the smell and feel of a real book.

Btw, does anyone else lick their finger before swiping the top right corner of your iPad or eReader to turn the page? I still do that... Can't seem to break the habit.. :)

Queenie

I bet it's superhard to dog-ear the corners, too :)

To continue the debate.............

I used an IPAD for 3 months before purchasing my first Nook. This is what drove my decision:

I have a NetBook, which I found to be far more useful than an IPAD when I travel for extended periods of time. The NetBook weighs much the same and is far more useful for downloading and installing to other devices, keyboard for sending email, and using over long periods of time -. I found holding the IPAD waaaaaaay to cumbersome and heavy.

I might add that I also use an Iphone 4 when on the road which I can toggle if necessary.

I know that there is a keyboard, stand, etc. available for the IPAD, but after you load up on all that stuff...you have more weight, more claptrap, and less flexibility than a NetBook. In my opinion-a NetBook is a much better value.

The Nook is great for reading. It is lighter and far more flexible with regards to downloading library books, etc. I enjoy being able to throw my very lightweight E-ink reader into my purse and read while "waiting" at various locations.

I think that IPAD is a very clever device. All my grandchildren are IPADDED UP. However, as a "reader" it doesn't do it for me. As a computer substitute---it has too many shortcomings for my only computer device when I am on the road.

Everybody has different needs. For me a NetBook and a Nook (or two) is the better solution.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom