NY Times New Game--Strands

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
There is a new word based game on NY Times game page--Strands.

It's kind of like those word search games where there are letters in a grid and you circle the words that go horizontally, vertically, or diagonally. However, in Strands the words can go in any directions: vertically and/or horizontally and/or diagonally.

The idea is to find words related to a theme. You complete the puzzle when you find all the words, including what they are calling the Spangram or a word that touches two edges of the grid.

You can find Strands here:

http://nytimes.com/games/strands

Like the other games on NY Times game page, there is one game per day.

I did the first one today. If you find words that are not theme words, and if you collect three non-themed words you get the ability to access hints. I used a hint (hey, first time at a new game, don't judge me!)

Here is my score:

Strands 030424.jpg

Well, that was fun. I’ll add this to my repertoire of daily puzzles.

Strands #1
“Mark my words”
💡🔵🔵🔵
🔵🔵🔵🟡

Last edited:
Other than gaining hints, is it advisable/desirable to look for non-theme words? I just plowed through the theme words without looking for anything else.

Other than gaining hints, is it advisable/desirable to look for non-theme words? I just plowed through the theme words without looking for anything else.

No, I think earning hints would be the only reason to do that.

OP, thanks for the heads up on this game, it’s a fun one!

Strands #2
“She’ll have a ball”
🔵🔵🔵🔵
🟡🔵🔵

Strands #2
“She’ll have a ball”
🔵🔵🔵🔵
🟡🔵🔵

I'm not sure this is my kind of puzzle. Spoilers can probably be allowed in this thread, given there is one puzzle per day, and if you haven't done today's puzzle, you wouldn't be here.

I got "slipper" first, and "she'll have a ball" as the puzzle title, I knew it had to be Cinderella, but it took me a while to find it.

The paste should have the time it took. I wasn't too quick.

Interesting game. I had a hard time finding the first (theme) word, but once I did the rest became quite easy to see. That first one kinda frames the rest of the board, and got me started into what the theme clue actually meant.

Thanks for sharing this new game!

Strands #3
“I gotta dip!”
🔵🟡🔵🔵
🔵🔵🔵

This puzzle seems somewhat easy. I suppose it might be more challenging if you looked for, and found, the spangram first. That would mean when you share your score the first circle filled would be yellow.

I was not making any progress, so I went for the hint.

Strands #3
“I gotta dip!”
💡🔵🔵🔵
🟡🔵🔵🔵

Strands #3
“I gotta dip!”
🔵🔵🔵🔵
🟡🔵🔵

Strands #3
“I gotta dip!”
🔵🟡🔵🔵
🔵🔵🔵

I was looking for the spangram, and gave in to simply solving it. Immediately after I found my first word I saw the spangram. Darn it, should have kept looking.

Strands #3
“I gotta dip!”
🔵🟡🔵🔵
🔵🔵🔵

I was looking for the spangram, and gave in to simply solving it. Immediately after I found my first word I saw the spangram. Darn it, should have kept looking.

I didn't realize you were supposed to get that first.

Back
Top Bottom