On the Path - No. 2

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So today I told my boss he should find my replacement. Baring a health problem I will be out of here on June 2, 2006.

This was just after he gave me my yearly raise and bonus. So, I'm walking away from about $160K a year - excluding benefits. The most I ever earned.

But as I said I'm feeling good about it with every step I take.

For those still on the fence - start to get yourself off it. It feel better and better as you get that pole out of your butt.

Over the next 3 months I will get some odds and ends togehter but most of the heavy lifting has been done - ordered a travel trailer and gave notice. Now it is just the logistics.

Maybe I'll have to change my name from Dex to "Feeling Good"

Congratulations, dex!! As a new trailer owner myself, you're in for some fun times! :)

Congratulations, Dex!  I went back to read your introduce yourself post, since you came on board here years before I did - you've had quite a journey!  

Obviously, I can speak with confidence for this board you are making the right decision.  :)

Sh*t Dex, you forgot to grab my hand and take me with you.

Inspiring.

Laurence said:
Congratulations, Dex! I went back to read your introduce yourself post, since you came on board here years before I did - you've had quite a journey!

Obviously, I can speak with confidence for this board you are making the right decision. :)
Laurence,
Thanks for reminding me of my first post. I found it and read it again.
I've posted it below for others on the path to RE to show it can be a long journey.
It is about 2 years and 7 months from my first post to my RE date
I could have and should have RE then but I didn't. I made some mistakes and has to get my act togehter.

This whole experience in some ways is about changing turning around a life and what we have been trained to do.

So now I've sold the home, given notice and bought a travel trailer. I'll post my progress to show it can be done.

Even as I'm doing it, I don't believe I'm doing it, but the doubts are getting smaller than the anticipation for the adventure that awaits me.

General => Hi, I am... => Topic started by: dex on October 28, 2003, 07:31:58 AM

Title: Need Advise on if I should retire
Post by: dex on October 28, 2003, 07:31:58 AM
I'm hoping there is a wealth of experience on this board that can help me with the very important decision on should I retire early? I know you can not give me a definitive answer. What I am looking for is how to make the decision for the right reasons. So if you can point me in the direction of books, or an advisor (psycologists?) or from you experience it would be much appreciated.
Let me give you a little background and you might see why I want to make sure I'm not making a large mistake that I might regret latter.
As I type this I'm 49, single, work for a large company, good salary and benefits - $140,000 salary, head of my department so low pressure - I tell people what to do, computer, internet and television in my office. Financially in good shape - home paid in full, no debt, and about 1 million cash and I spend or need a lot of things. Why do I want to retire early? I'm not sure. I've been working since I was a teenager and I don't get any satisfaction from it. It is a labor to get up every morning and go to work.

Here are some of the questions I've been asking myself and haven't had much luck with the answers:

1. Am I crazy for giving up this job?
2. Has anyone in my position negociated a severance package from a company? If so, how?
2. What would I do if I quit? I've worked all my life and I can't say I have many interest. The one good thing about work is that it fills up my day.
3. Do I have enough money to live if I never worked again? (Wasn't there a calculator on this board that was all encompassing?)
4. One of my fear is that I live, work, die and do not enjoy life.

So as you can see, I'm looking for some guidance on how to evaluate my options.
Thanks in advance.

dex;
I sent you a pm, but dont know if it went threw.
Anyhow I try to summarize. I am not to familiar with
Casita Brand Trailers,although from what I read they
seem to be well made, and should hold up well at resell
time. I spent some time in a 16' AirStream, and they seem
to have many similarity's. The one option that I would
consider as a must have, is the "fantastic fan vent", as
insolated trailers hold in heat. It is a quality fan, and if
one is available with a built in thermostat, even better.
It will cut down on the A/C output. Again Best of Luck
on All Your Travels.
CZAR 08

Thank you for posting your original post as well as your progress. I will have no problem saying goodbye, it will be very hard for DH. He loves his job. Mine is to make money and that is all.

Congratulations. Are you planning to travel with your trailer? I love the national parks out west, Mesa Verde, Bryce Canyon, Arches etc. I could spend a year visiting them and photographing and painting the breathtaking beauty.

It's posts like yours that keep me going.

REWahoo! said:
Hey dex, looks like you duplicated your post. Want me to delete one of them (and this one)? ;)

BTW, congratulations. The next few months are going to be one of the best times of your life...

Yes, pls delete it.

ShortTimer,
When I first started reading these board it was others who inspired me and helped me to find the courage I needed.

CZAR 8,
I'll be traveling alone and I like the Casita since it is so small and you can stop anywhere to camp.

I'll keep posting as I get closer to my final date of work first day of freedom.

Congratulations and you'll be very happy. Might take a while, but you'll love it. ;)

dex said:
2. What would I do if I quit?  I've worked all my life and I can't say I have many interest.  The one good thing about work is that it fills up my day.
Have you figured this one out?!?

Catch-22: I found that I had to retire to figure out what I REALLY wanted to do with my precious leisure time.

Oh, I had some vague ideas, but I had been retired about 6 months before I starting really figuring this out. Ended up devoting my life to quite different things than what I had originally envisioned.

You have to experiment and try some things. So allot the first year or two to traveling and trying new things. Then you'll discover some new interests (or rediscover some old ones that working made you give up).

Audrey

dex said:
So today I told my boss he should find my replacement.  Baring a health problem I will be out of here on June 2, 2006. 

Congratulations, Dex!  You are one lucky guy.  Actually luck has very little to do with it.  You worked hard and planned carefully for this.  The credit belongs to you and you alone.

If everything goes right, I will be doing exactly the same thing in 5 years.  I will be 53 then.  OK, one minor difference:  I'll get a small class C instead of the travel trailer.

Dex, I went back and read most of your earlier posts.  I could not find your last post about health insurance.  If you don't mind, can you share your decision on this matter?  Which company did you go with?  Which plan did you take?  And how much?

Enjoy your new and improved life,
Sam

When a long time forum member retires, it's as if they graduated from the internet school of higher learning.
Mr. Dex, congratulations and step up to receive your graduating degree from Dory's University of Enlightment, for your courageous achievement in the field of ER. ;)

Back
Top Bottom