Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-20-2021, 03:29 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For anybody curious about how the Amazon refund scam works, this is worth a peek:

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2021, 06:00 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowballCamper View Post
Yeah, DW found a setting on her smartphone so that only calls from numbers in her contacts will ring. Highly recommended!
If you ever make calls to companies that will call you back, this won't work. If you never talk to anyone you don't already know, this is a great solution.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:18 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Set a custom ringtone for everyone in your contacts, and a different default ringtone for anyone else who calls. I found an app to make it easy to set a ringtone for my contacts. I made the default a very pleasant piece of a song I like so when I hear it I don't interrupt what I'm doing to answer, and it doesn't bother me. So I can tell right away if a call is coming from a contact or not.

If there's a time you are waiting on a callback from a doctor or a vaccine clinic, you might have to answer and find it's one of these calls, but usually I just let people leave a message if it's a legit call.

You can also get a spam blocker but so many of these calls are spoofed numbers with the area code and next 3 digits matching yours. That actually makes it easier for you since you probably aren't expecting any calls from Illinois anymore, so you can also look at your phone and not answer.
I've done a similar thing, but for the past couple months we had to abandon that because we have the vaccine lotteries here in Florida where you sign up online and wait for calls from the surrounding counties. And you have to answer these calls to get a reservation. They try to reach you twice, and if they can't, then back into the lottery you go!
cbo111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowballCamper View Post
Yeah, DW found a setting on her smartphone so that only calls from numbers in her contacts will ring. Highly recommended!
I did that for a while but had to turn it off because I found I was missing some important calls. Not everyone who calls me is in my contact list, especially businesses. Even if I have the business main number on my list, they often have multiple lines so when they would call me, it wouldn't ring through. Plus I now have a relative on hospice care and I'm the contact person so I need to be able to get those calls.
disneysteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:45 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I just let all I don't know go to voice mail.

Then I delete them.
Old 03-20-2021, 07:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post

Then I delete them.
This is basically what I do. I hit the button to decline the call where available. If they are a legit caller they will leave a voice mail.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:15 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
For anybody curious about how the Amazon refund scam works, this is worth a peek:
Thanks, that really warmed my heart. So much negative in the world, it's good to see someone fighting the good fight.

As for calls, I get a lot of scam calls. I have no problem answering my phone whenever I'm not busy doing something else.

Here's a tip: It's all about your attitude.

I answer. I say hello once. If nobody replies right away, I already know I'm being transferred to an operator or a computer.

If an operator or recording comes on, I can generally tell within a few seconds which scam it is. If I've heard it before, I hang up.

If not, and I have time, I'll listen for a few more seconds to try to figure out the scam. For fun, you could always play along for a while, just to waste the scammer's time. My father does that. I generally don't feel like it.

I also immediately mark the number as spam, so now it is flagged on other people's phones. I consider that to be doing a public service.

Because of this approach, I've answered important calls (like for my vaccine appointment) that I'd have missed if I let unknown callers go to voice mail.

By keeping this positive attitude, I don't get angry, I help prevent scams on others and I keep up to date with what's going on in the scam world. Win-win-win.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:24 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Twaddle, Thanks for the video! It explains much.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:52 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post

Then I delete them.
Wish I could do this, but being my brother's guardian I get all sorts of calls from doctors, health providers, therapists etc etc that often use different numbers than what is in my address book.

I had looked into a service/box that essentially said: "If you are a real person calling, press 1 and you'll be connected" but for some reason I didn't get this.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:40 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Great to see someone exposing the scam.
Also so AMAZING people are willing to send cash to refund Amazon.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:49 AM   #31

I have a special ring tone for family, a generic one for everyone else.
I do have a loud warning horn for a specific person, who I really don't wish to talk too, but must when they call.(Ex DIL, who has been extremely unbelievably horrible, but rarely she contacts me instead of DS) At least I am prepared! LOL

If a contact name doesn't come up, I don't answer and rarely get a VM left. I got pulled into an attempted scam once many years ago, thats all it took to change my answering ways!
Old 03-25-2021, 12:19 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Until we can get SHAKEN/STIR authentication to be required of all phone providers, we'll keep seeing caller ID spoofing attacks like this.
Here's a good start. T-Mobile is saying they are the first to implement STIR/SHAKEN. Looking forward to a much improved experience.

T‑Mobile Completes STIR/SHAKEN with ALL Major Carriers to Help Protect Customers from Scams and Spam
Old 03-25-2021, 12:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Here's a good start. T-Mobile is saying they are the first to implement STIR/SHAKEN. Looking forward to a much improved experience.
Nice! I didn't realize there was a June 1 deadline for carriers to implement this. I think I can hang on for a couple more months.

But I wonder if I'm already getting this verification. My Google Fi works on T-Mobile, US Cellular and other carriers' networks. Do I need to be a T-Mobile customer, or is it network-wide.

Just curious. I have had a bit of a lull in scam calls lately, but it always fluctuates so it's hard to know if it's a trend or just temporary.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:37 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
I've done a similar thing, but for the past couple months we had to abandon that because we have the vaccine lotteries here in Florida where you sign up online and wait for calls from the surrounding counties. And you have to answer these calls to get a reservation. They try to reach you twice, and if they can't, then back into the lottery you go!
But my system works for that. I do hear my ring for unknowns. Right now during lottery time I do answer those, at least if they are in the state's area code. It means I pick up some junk, but I won't miss the vaccine lottery call. Once I'm done with vaccines, I can go back to just listening to my nice unknown ringtone instead of answering.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Great video! I'm sharing it with family and friends. I am convinced that one FIRE'd assets are MUCH more at risk from scams than anything the market or even health care can do.

I us PhoneTray Free on a computer to block calls to the home line. It works well as I can block by both number and/or caller ID text, in whole or in part. So if the caller ID just says "Florida" (as many of the scam calls might just state a city or state) I can block it regardless of the number.

But, sometimes I like to be playful and answer the phone with "hello?" to get a real person, and then when someone comes I'll pretend they have called some fraud/security agency or weird business ("Welcome to Whips and Chains for Perverts, we are tracing your voice and your number to ensure the proper service, how many we help you?"). The reactions can be priceless .

It is still unfortunate that the telecommunications companies, while they have gotten more helpful, only provide limited free (and even limited pay) methods to block spam calls.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:41 PM   #36

I don't get any of these calls on my flip phone ��
Old 03-25-2021, 06:07 PM   #37

Quote:

I was just about to recommend this video
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:47 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I use an App, TrueCaller. There are other choices. It builds a database of garbage numbers and autoblocks them. There are no legislative solutions that are feasible, anymore than passing a law telling criminals to behave would work. I have a car warranty scam that I have blocked hundreds of their numbers. If enough folks use, and refuse to pick up phone, the business value of scams drops to zero.
indiajust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:53 PM   #39
Confused about dryer sheets

Register at the government's DoNotCall.gov site (it's not perfect but it does cut down some of the calls).
Still_Waters_43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:08 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

they are fun to play with over the phone... but be prepared to be cussed out over and over... I don't see how they can make any money at all...
dixter is offline   Reply With Quote