Opinion on a potential scam

I just let all I don't know go to voice mail.

Then I delete them.

This is basically what I do. I hit the button to decline the call where available. If they are a legit caller they will leave a voice mail.

For anybody curious about how the Amazon refund scam works, this is worth a peek:

Thanks, that really warmed my heart. So much negative in the world, it's good to see someone fighting the good fight.

As for calls, I get a lot of scam calls. I have no problem answering my phone whenever I'm not busy doing something else.

Here's a tip: It's all about your attitude.

I answer. I say hello once. If nobody replies right away, I already know I'm being transferred to an operator or a computer.

If an operator or recording comes on, I can generally tell within a few seconds which scam it is. If I've heard it before, I hang up.

If not, and I have time, I'll listen for a few more seconds to try to figure out the scam. For fun, you could always play along for a while, just to waste the scammer's time. My father does that. I generally don't feel like it.

I also immediately mark the number as spam, so now it is flagged on other people's phones. I consider that to be doing a public service.

Because of this approach, I've answered important calls (like for my vaccine appointment) that I'd have missed if I let unknown callers go to voice mail.

By keeping this positive attitude, I don't get angry, I help prevent scams on others and I keep up to date with what's going on in the scam world. Win-win-win.

Last edited:
I just let all I don't know go to voice mail.

Then I delete them.

Wish I could do this, but being my brother's guardian I get all sorts of calls from doctors, health providers, therapists etc etc that often use different numbers than what is in my address book.

I had looked into a service/box that essentially said: "If you are a real person calling, press 1 and you'll be connected" but for some reason I didn't get this.

I have a special ring tone for family, a generic one for everyone else.
I do have a loud warning horn for a specific person, who I really don't wish to talk too, but must when they call.(Ex DIL, who has been extremely unbelievably horrible, but rarely she contacts me instead of DS) At least I am prepared! LOL

If a contact name doesn't come up, I don't answer and rarely get a VM left. I got pulled into an attempted scam once many years ago, thats all it took to change my answering ways!

Here's a good start. T-Mobile is saying they are the first to implement STIR/SHAKEN. Looking forward to a much improved experience.

Nice! I didn't realize there was a June 1 deadline for carriers to implement this. I think I can hang on for a couple more months.

But I wonder if I'm already getting this verification. My Google Fi works on T-Mobile, US Cellular and other carriers' networks. Do I need to be a T-Mobile customer, or is it network-wide.

Just curious. I have had a bit of a lull in scam calls lately, but it always fluctuates so it's hard to know if it's a trend or just temporary.

I've done a similar thing, but for the past couple months we had to abandon that because we have the vaccine lotteries here in Florida where you sign up online and wait for calls from the surrounding counties. And you have to answer these calls to get a reservation. They try to reach you twice, and if they can't, then back into the lottery you go!
But my system works for that. I do hear my ring for unknowns. Right now during lottery time I do answer those, at least if they are in the state's area code. It means I pick up some junk, but I won't miss the vaccine lottery call. Once I'm done with vaccines, I can go back to just listening to my nice unknown ringtone instead of answering.

For anybody curious about how the Amazon refund scam works, this is worth a peek:

Great video! I'm sharing it with family and friends. I am convinced that one FIRE'd assets are MUCH more at risk from scams than anything the market or even health care can do.

I us PhoneTray Free on a computer to block calls to the home line. It works well as I can block by both number and/or caller ID text, in whole or in part. So if the caller ID just says "Florida" (as many of the scam calls might just state a city or state) I can block it regardless of the number.

But, sometimes I like to be playful and answer the phone with "hello?" to get a real person, and then when someone comes I'll pretend they have called some fraud/security agency or weird business ("Welcome to Whips and Chains for Perverts, we are tracing your voice and your number to ensure the proper service, how many we help you?"). The reactions can be priceless :).

It is still unfortunate that the telecommunications companies, while they have gotten more helpful, only provide limited free (and even limited pay) methods to block spam calls.

I don't get any of these calls on my flip phone ��

I use an App, TrueCaller. There are other choices. It builds a database of garbage numbers and autoblocks them. There are no legislative solutions that are feasible, anymore than passing a law telling criminals to behave would work. I have a car warranty scam that I have blocked hundreds of their numbers. If enough folks use, and refuse to pick up phone, the business value of scams drops to zero.

Register at the government's DoNotCall.gov site (it's not perfect but it does cut down some of the calls).

they are fun to play with over the phone... but be prepared to be cussed out over and over... I don't see how they can make any money at all...

Any thoughts on how to stop the calls? Or do we let them run their course, until they start targeting someone else.

No way to stop them. Just let it go to voicemail. My policy is if the call doesn't ID with a name that is in the phone already I don't answer. They will leave a voicemail or they won't. Easy to screen the calls that way,

Any thoughts on how to stop the calls? Or do we let them run their course, until they start targeting someone else.

I have RoboKiller works great I’m not bothered by those calls at all and if it’s someone not in your contacts they can leave a message my Doctor thought it was awesome and got it for his phone

On an iPhone, you can block individual numbers. It doesn't stop the original call, but it does block repeat calls from the same number.

I do not answer my phone unless the number is in my address book. if legit, they will leave a voice mail.
Your phone may have an option to silence calls that are not in your address book also.

I add the spam numbers to a Spam list, then block it. At least blocks that number from future calls. I also noticed when I changed my iPhone SIM card to Tmobile from Sprint, their spam blocker app works very well (and it's free). I went from getting multiple spam calls a day to a few a week.

Back
Top Bottom