Portfolio value before and after ER

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Thought it might be interesting for folks who have ER' d to state how many years they have been retired and how their portfolio values today compare to the values when you retired (using a value of 100 for when you retired)

For me. 4.75 yrs. 129

Do you want this is nominal dollars?

Yes. For example if your beginning value was 1 million and now you have 800,000. It would be 80. 800,000/1,000,000 * 100

106, I.e. 106% of what I had 3 years ago. That included an expensive downsizing so I'm happy with that.

4.25 years and 270

You had to be in some focused area of the market, or maybe made a killing in real estate or you added in a big inheritance or ........... ? But no typical diversified portfolio, even all equity and with zero withdrawals, would come close to this.

Can ya give us a hint? How did you almost triple your money in just over four years?

And, CONGRATS!!

You had to be in some focused area of the market, or maybe made a killing in real estate or you added in a big inheritance or ........... ? But no typical diversified portfolio, even all equity and with zero withdrawals, would come close to this.

Can ya give us a hint? How did you almost triple your money in just over four years?

And, CONGRATS!!

I would like to say it was my individual stock picking genius, but I can't lie.
I have made some very good stock picks, but DW worked until last year and had stock options that made a lot of people in her company very comfortable. Paying the taxes on them were quite painful, but that means we did well.

8 years in November.... 128, + dream house (paid for in cash)

This is fun! But honestly, in this bull market these numbers are probably pretty meaningless. Everyone is going to be up tremendously, especially those with high equity allocations, who will be down tremendously in a market crash.

From Aug 1999, so retired almost 18 years, 204.

Two huge bear markets in the interim!

And quite a bit of inflation.

Last edited:
3 years (this coming week).

And it included some travel including the "trip of a lifetime" - 9 weeks in europe with the kids, and some major home improvements (windows, bathroom remodel, new paver driveway).

Old records are gone, but best I can remember, it's around 200 (twice the starting amount).

15.6 years.

But I'm an outlier, since a pension covers most everyday expenses.

5.46 years...~120%

But that is after a couple big withdrawals that were not in our retirement plan... demolishing our one-car garage and building a 2-car garage with a loft (2.5% of the original 100%) and buying a winter condo (8.6% of the original 100%)... absent those two large purchases it would be ~131%.

Last edited:
I Retired at the end of June 2016 and now at 110.25%. Pensions and SS cover more than our expenses and have not touched the stash yet.

It's been 16 years since I last earned a paycheck, and our portfolio is at 129% of that starting value.

17 years, 250%, raised two great boys who will now be in college this year.

Have a COLA'd pension that helps a lot.

4 years, 120% (based on year end 2016 data; a little higher now). No pensions of any kind. WR between 3 and 3.5%.

Only REWahoo and MichaelB are doing it right with the long-timers so far (probably spending enough). If you're inflation adjusted significantly "up", and you've been retired a dozen or more years, are you really spending enough? Or maybe the thread only attracts the conservative types.

Back
Top Bottom