Possibly moving to Las Vegas

We got married there 30 years ago. We went frequently in the 1990s but once we had 3 kids that went away.

The water issue is a concern. I do feel that the "third straw" puts Las Vegas in good shape compared to other places. I realize that the potential exists that there might not be enough water for even the third straw. But, Las Vegas is an area with 2 million people. I just see no possibility that in the near future (10 to 20 years is near future) that houses will be worthless because LV is uninhabitable. I just don't see that happening. Could water become expensive? Could there be water restrictions beyond the current situation? Sure. But, I just don't see that size city dying in the relevant time period (I'm 68 and DH is 74).

You have made a good point here.
We were married in LV in 1994.
We truly had every intention of retiring there; even 3 yrs ago that was the plan.
But we are 56 & 59. If we were your age, I would say screw it--LET'S GO.
But our ages, water issues, along with a father who needs much support here, well, here we shall stay. I hate the climate (hot, humid summers, cold winters), but we have good friends here, 2/3 kids live here (for now) & Dad can use the support (DB lives here too but he is still working, so I can be the go-to to drive Dad to appts).
For a lot of reasons, we worry that Dad won't be with us long. If he should pass--we will look again. IDK.
Again, at our age, I hesitate to invest even in a 1BR condo. Not worried about high water cost...more worried about property values.
I am what I consider a "realistic optimist" but you seem to be just an "optimist"
Good for you

So I've been looking at stuff and am now focusing mostly on either Northwest Las Vegas such as Providence, Centennial Hills, Skye Canyon or the Southwest (sort of the Enterprise type area).

I've gotten recommendations for Aliante in North Las Vegas. I hadn't really planned on that but there is a lot positive for that area.

We are planning on listing our house soon so we'll see how that goes. My perception is that houses are sitting on the market a bit longer and probably aren't getting as many multiple offers. On the other hand, a "bit longer" usually works out to about 2 weeks. And, some houses, still go under contract in a few days. We'll see.

But we are 56 & 59. If we were your age, I would say screw it--LET'S GO.
But our ages, water issues, along with a father who needs much support here, well, here we shall stay. I hate the climate (hot, humid summers, cold winters), but we have good friends here, 2/3 kids live here (for now) & Dad can use the support (DB lives here too but he is still working, so I can be the go-to to drive Dad to appts).
For a lot of reasons, we worry that Dad won't be with us long. If he should pass--we will look again. IDK.

AS I was reading your situation I was thinking to myself that you might revisit this issue later. After all, you are both still so young (compared to us).

4 years ago we made the opposite choice for some of the same reasons. My mother was still alive then (died within 2 months of us moving to the same area as her). Kids were not as spread out, etc.

So while it might not be right for you now, maybe it will be at a later time.

Again, at our age, I hesitate to invest even in a 1BR condo. Not worried about high water cost...more worried about property values.
I am what I consider a "realistic optimist" but you seem to be just an "optimist"
Good for you

I do worry about the property values also. On the other hand if we move and stay put then the property values really don't matter. While I guess you never know we really don't plan to move again absent something very major (such as health reasons).

I am actually not an optimist at all. I am a defensive pessimist.

https://www.thecut.com/2015/12/are-you-a-defensive-pessimist.html

I usually focus on preparing for the worst and then try to figure out how I will handle it if it does. To me this is very soothing. It helps me to be prepared. The thing for me is that I don't just think about what can go wrong and how I will handle it. I also think about how likely it is that something will go wrong. While I generally tend to be risk averse about physical danger, for other things I do put a lot of weight on how likely it is that the worst will happen. I can have a tendency to catastrophize. In a way, I do think it is good to try to prepare for what can go wrong. On the other hand, if I take no risk because a bad outcome has a tiny chance of happening then I have to realize that I am taking another kind of risk. I am locking in another negative because of a fear some other negative.

Last edited:
So I've been looking at stuff and am now focusing mostly on either Northwest Las Vegas such as Providence, Centennial Hills, Skye Canyon or the Southwest (sort of the Enterprise type area).

Yes, NW LV is where we would move as well.
Henderson is great & a bit more affordable but DH already has his eyes on the golf courses in the NW. I wouldn't want to live 30 min. from where he golfs.

AZ & NV still pop up as the best places to retire. This from business magazines.
Perhaps I am over thinking the water issue.
Since we aren't moving now anyway, I'll just keep my ear to the ground.

Does anyone know anything about the Cadence Master Planned Community? It was suggested to me elsewhere. It seems to be close to Tuscany which was also suggested here.

I did some research on Tuscany and read that it was apparently constructed near an old landfill. In fact, I think that I read that the golf course is actually on the old landfill. So many people object to Tuscany for safety reasons. Also, that there is sometimes an odor from, I think, a water treatment plant.

Anyway, Cadence is close to Tuscany. Does anyone know anything about it? Also does it have the same close to landfill problem? Is any of this a problem or was the information I read bad info?

Edit: Well, this doesn't sound good and I think would take this off the list.

https://ndep.nv.gov/uploads/env-sitecleanup-active-bmi-docs/ndep-cadence-ec-fact-sheet.pdf

Edit: Could someone change my title? I meant Cadence not Casca

Cadence is close to Calico Ridge, Lake Las Vegas and Tuscany. They are only about 20% built currently. Make sure you look at one that is gated as I think there are some that are not gated. I hate to say it, but petty property theft is on the increase everywhere and we are seeing more of that in the area.

What landfill? Scratch head. :) Have not heard of the "landfill problem". What is the landfill problem?

The landfill for Clark County is at the exit for 93 on the 15 heading towards Utah. I noticed on a drive up to Caliente a couple of months ago that there appears to be another landfill at the Lincoln/ Clark county line. Neither one anywhere near the Vegas valley though.

Yes, NW LV is where we would move as well.
Henderson is great & a bit more affordable but DH already has his eyes on the golf courses in the NW. I wouldn't want to live 30 min. from where he golfs.

Yes, I wouldn't want that either. I lived for a few years where it was 20 minutes to the closest grocery store and I really hated it.

There is a lot to like about Henderson, but many of the houses are older than what I want. There are some newer areas but they are mostly more expensive than I want to spend.

Any updates @Katsmeow? There appears to be a lot more inventory to choose from. Prices havent really come down much if at all.

Yes, I've been following the market. Basically we are just on hold until we sell our current house. I do think the market there (as here) has softened a bit. Not so much in terms of price as being less competitive. And, houses are a bit more likely to have a price reduction when they don't immediately fly off the market (both there and here). We're still looking at locations.

Right now, I am mostly seeing houses I like in:

NW Las Vegas, especially in Providence.

SW Las Vegas, such as Rhodes Ranch or Mountains Edge or various other communities in that area.

Possibly far NW North Las Vegas. I have mixed feelings about it, and know all the negatives. But in that far NW part of North Las Vegas there are some very nice places including some new construction that looks pretty good. We might consider it.

Cadence is close to Calico Ridge, Lake Las Vegas and Tuscany. They are only about 20% built currently. Make sure you look at one that is gated as I think there are some that are not gated. I hate to say it, but petty property theft is on the increase everywhere and we are seeing more of that in the area.

What landfill? Scratch head. :) Have not heard of the "landfill problem". What is the landfill problem?

I read that Cadence was on a landfill. Not sure that is exactly it. This video says it is on top of a former toxic waste landfill:

The article from the Las Vegas Sun talking about the development of the land and says it was once a wastewater dump.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2008/may/13/plan-remove-toxins-build-homes/

The link I had in my post which to notice in 2015 from the Nevada Division of Environmental Protection and what you have to do in order to dig or excavate in Cadence. The document in part states:

For decades, the land under and around Cadence was an industrial site, beginning with the Basic Magnesium, Inc. (BMI) plant which opened in 1941. Since then, many products such as titanium, chlorine gas, magnesium chloride, manganese dioxide, pesticides and perchlorates have been manufactured in the area. Because much of this industrial activity took place before environmental regulation, soil and groundwater contamination occurred in some areas.

The document then talks about how the soil up to 10 feet was cleaned up.

The State does say that Cadence is safe and was studied:

Successful environmental cleanup in Henderson, NV | DCNR

And, you know, it may be. On the other hand, I'm not sure that is where I would want to put my money (and my person).

I read that Cadence was on a landfill. Not sure that is exactly it. This video says it is on top of a former toxic waste landfill:

I learn something new everyday. Thanks for the links.

Most owners here have whole house water softener and reverse osmosis systems. While our water comes directly from Lake Mead and from not underground well water, reverse osmosis takes any contamination out of drinking water.

I am not a scientist but I don't think it is unsafe to live in Cadence. Having said that, personally we much prefer to live in Lake Las Vegas, followed by Tuscany. Cadence is huge and very little has been built on it.

I am not a scientist but I don't think it is unsafe to live in Cadence. Having said that, personally we much prefer to live in Lake Las Vegas, followed by Tuscany. Cadence is huge and very little has been built on it.

I think there are really two issues. One is safety and the other is money. That is, I am personally not sure if it is safe to live in Cadence. It may be. It may not be. I have ready some stuff about it but I don't know enough to really feel that I certainly know.

The second issue is financial. Buying a house is a major financial undertaking for us. I don't want to make a mistake. Even if I felt Cadence was safe, there are people who don't think that. Will that ultimately have a negative impact on resale value? Maybe not. But maybe it will. And what if I think Cadence is safe and it isn't and then there really is a big resale value problem. That is a financial risk I don't think I want to take. It is sort of a shame because there are some floorplans there that I really like.

I wonder the "landfill" concern is actually about BMI waste water dumping. I was aware of that part of it.

Successful environmental cleanup in Henderson, NV | DCNR.

Yes, that was one of the links I posted before. It may be that what is being referred to by some as a "Landfill" is referring to toxic waste dumping. I haven't looked into it that closely. But I've decided that Cadence is just not for me as I indicated.

On another note - I spent some time this weekend looking at every house currently listed in western Las Vegas between $400k and $475k that was built from 2010 to the present.

I did not include anywhere in North Las Vegas. I looked roughly at the area west of S. Decatur. It was an interesting execise to carefully look at those houses. Newer houses like that are mostly fairly west or more to the North or South. The main areas were: Providence (lots of Providence), Centennial Hills and therabouts, Mountains Edge (lots of Mountains Edge) and some areas close to Rhodes Ranch. On the SW side almost all of them were outside of 215. On the NW side they were on both sides of 215 although most were west of 95. There were a few scattered places east of 95 such as the new development at Sunstone.

It was interesting to see how the market has slightly shifted in the last few weeks. If you look at houses currently pending from, say, $450k to $475k that went under contract in earlier June, they are usually houses in fairly good condition but somewhat ho-hum. For active listings in that range or those that just went under contract, they seem to have a bit better finishes or are a bit larger. I noticed that a number of houses in that range newly under contract were originally listed at higher prices. About 38% of the houses not under contract have had their prices reduced especially the houses that have been on the market for a month or more. Interestingly, I saw that DR Horton has modestly reduced prices on a few houses in this range (mostly small reductions like $5k).

Some people just don't seem to realize the market has slowed. I saw a ouple of houses listed in May or earlier that have slightly reduced prices but the houses seem insanely overpriced compared to other similar houses in similar locations. Sometimes those are iBuyer houses where I they paid too much for the houses.

For example, I saw a house that sold for around 470k in February and was listed in March at 541k. This house was in the Southwest and was somewhat dated. Nothing special. They've reduced it down to 475k but it doesn't really compare favorably to other houses of that price.

What I am seeing is not a huge decrease in prices. Most of the houses I saw with huge decreases were houses where people got on the bandwagon and listed boring, not special houses at the same prices that nice houses were getting. They seem to have just been throwing junk at the wall and hoping someone would buy. And, it was hard to find a house so I'm sure many buyers were desperate. Now, with demand slowing a bit, buyers can be more discerning. If there are 2 houses in the same area that are the same price and one of them is much "nicer" than the other then people will go for the nicer one.

As someone who hopes to buy I like the idea that I can perhaps buy a house that I like. 6 weeks ago some of the choices were fairly grim. If I was able to buy now (which I can't yet), there would be at least a number of houses I would want to happily look at.

Your observation is similar to mine. Homes listed are sitting longer in MLS, and some of them dropping their prices every couple of weeks. I think if you wait another 6 months, the prices will look even better.

One that made me chuckle over the weekend... In our community, someone paid $900K for the house 2 years ago, and just listed at $2.8M with nothing done to the home. It is a nice home, but it is unrealistic and I would call "greedy". I do expect that house to go for about $1.3M to $1.5M. Certtainly not $2.8M. I wonder how long it will take for the owner to drop it to $1.5M.

Last edited:
This article released approx 11 minutes ago from AP saddens me to the core. I no longer desire to move out west. I'll stay near the Great Lakes.
https://apnews.com/article/lakes-co...rending-news-abab298019a44aef0181ad79aad12ab9

Any places near the Great Lakes with mild winters or is it all covered by snow and extreme cold? Had a snowbird neighbor who's oterh home was in Ohio. His son in law said they got tired of the temps being in the 40's most of the time.....but man the home prices seem pretty affordable.

Any places near the Great Lakes with mild winters or is it all covered by snow and extreme cold? Had a snowbird neighbor who's oterh home was in Ohio. His son in law said they got tired of the temps being in the 40's most of the time.....but man the home prices seem pretty affordable.

Well, the temps in the Toledo area are [-]in the 40s[/-] No, I take that back, it's somewhat lower than that. Fallible memory!
in winter, but I would say there's less snow than there is here in NJ. And most of the NW Territory states are well-watered. And most of the Midwest east of the Mississippi is warmer than that - and still well-watered.

I'd hold off on Las Vegas until we at least see the ramifications of whatever water deals are being made for the Colorado River in August - and maybe a year after that to see what shakes out.

Last edited:

Depends on your definition of mild. I'm in Cincinnati area, and some winter days can be 40s. Can also be below freezing. But my biggest complaint about winter (beside the fact that I think it's colder than I like) is the lack of sun. Winter is just grey overcast way more than sun shining. That's why I have snowbird place in FL. Warmer temperatures and sun.

So, late next week we are taking a scouting trip to Las Vegas. I've done a lot of research during the past month and am getting closer to thinking I know where I want to end up in Las Vegas.

The purpose of the trip is first to just look around and make sure there is nothing that would cause us not to want to move to Las Vegas. While we have been there a number of times (and even got married there), we haven't been there in years. So, we could get there and drive around and decide to do something different (although that would surprised me).

Assuming that doesn't happen, we are going to just drive around, especially our "target" areas. We will go there both during the day and at nights. Then, on the weekend there are going to be a number of open houses in the areas we are interested in. We plan to visit some open houses. I doubt any of these will be available when we are ready to buy, but I want to get an idea of what is available in various areas at various price points.

I have been searching for houses between $400k and $475k. Most of the houses that I like the best are in the $450k to $460k range. Houses at that range now are much, much nicer than they were when I started looking.

I am focusing on the west side of Las Vegas. Also, on houses built from 2010 on. I did look for awhile at older houses but I rejected all of them. I want an open kitchen and more modern finishes.

Anyway -- about 2/3 of the houses that I've flagged as possible are in the far Northwest part of Las Vegas. Most of them are in Providence. If I had to guess that is where we will end up. There are several in the area adjacent to Skye Canyon (and a few in Skye Canyon) and some in just the general Centennial Hills area.

Most of the other houses I'm interested in are in the southwest area. Many are in the more western area of Mountain's Edge. I am only looking at houses built from 2010 so none are in the older parts. Also, some are just in the general Southwest area (79148).

I know many like Summerlin and Henderson. Neither one tends to work for me. There are houses in both areas in our price range. But, they tend to not work for us. Most of those are either too old or, if newer, are too small. Also, many are in 55+ communities which I don't really want. I do search those areas and would be open to an acceptable house in those areas but I just haven't seen very many.

The pricing thing is interesting. Another thing I did in the past few weeks was talk to a mortgage broker and I delved into real estate property taxes more. I realized that I had been way overestimating the cost of real estate taxes and home insurance. Basically I was looking more at real estate taxes for new construction (usually about 1% of the sale price of the house) and thinking that a resale house of comparable price would be close to that in taxes. In reality it is not true. I've seen houses that are $450k that have taxes well under $2000 a year and houses of the same price that are over $4000. And, house insurance is far less expensive than I expected.

What all of this means is that even though house prices have fallen where I live (and have my house on the market) my budget now is higher than it was when I started out. And, due to the falling prices in Las Vegas, I can now get a better house for less.

On the search I do for houses in Las Vegas I noticed the other day that fully 68% of the houses listed had had price reductions. This is particularly true of houses that have been on the market awhile. I also noticed that newly listed houses are starting out at a somewhat lower price. I noticed a house the other day that started out at $500k, went under contract when it had reduced down to $450k and closed at $10k less.

To be clear, I don't think there is a huge "crash" in Las Vegas prices. Houses don't seem to be going back to where they were a year ago, let alone pre-Pandemic. On the other hand, some houses seem to be going back to where they were a few months ago.

I am meeting with a real estate agent while I'm out there. I've talked to her by phone and she says that demand is really low right now. So, that tends to help buyers in at least giving you more selection in the market.

Prices are definitely going down in Nevada which is good because the increases were ridiculous given the wages. Also more inventory and definitely selling slower. I think the higher interest rates are helping. You also will give you a idea about the heat in summer.

Question to those familiar with Vegas metro area. I keep hearing health care is terrible in Nevada and particularly in LV area. I also looked at major hospitals and did not find any with descent rating. Is that true? And if so how retirees are managing their situation when they develop a serious condition and need an access to quality health care? Is traveling to LA the only option available?

Katsmeow, what fun this trip will be! Good luck and I hope you can locate your new home-to-be, the Katsmeow Dream Home very soon. :D

I have not purchased in Nevada, but in the three states around it the property taxes are reassessed after a sale (to reflect this adjusted market value).

Good luck and have fun.

Best regards,
Chris

I have not purchased in Nevada, but in the three states around it the property taxes are reassessed after a sale (to reflect this adjusted market value).

Good luck and have fun.

Best regards,
Chris

I am not sure if property tax rules are statewide or by county. In Washoe county the age of the home is figured into the formula. So older homes have cheaper taxes. Plus they can’t go up more than 3% a year if owner occupied. I have lived in 5 states and never had such low taxes. I bought my condo last year that’s 43 years old for 211k and my property taxes are 35/month.

Question to those familiar with Vegas metro area. I keep hearing health care is terrible in Nevada and particularly in LV area. I also looked at major hospitals and did not find any with descent rating. Is that true? And if so how retirees are managing their situation when they develop a serious condition and need an access to quality health care? Is traveling to LA the only option available?

Nevada has a shortage of doctors. I had to wait 6 months to see a neurologist in Reno. Vegas isn’t any better. My DIL had a huge brain tumor and the local neurologist told her not to let anyone in the state touch it. He referred her to a neurologist that specializes in her type of tumor in San Francisco. It was a 14 hour surgery. San Francisco has some of the best hospitals and doctors.

I think I would be concerned about water shortages in LV. But that is only from hearsay not experience. I would look into it though if we were interested in moving there. Healthcare is a BIG deal for us, so that rules LV out.

Back
Top Bottom