Problems with Associa HOA

MichaelL

Recycles dryer sheets
At the end of May I moved to my brand new retirement condo in Reno. I am very happy with the unit, however the HOA management company Associa is another matter. They are totally neglecting the landscaping. I have called them many times and nothing happens. I should not have to call. This is their job to manage. There are tree shoots and weeds all over the property that are taking over and some are 2 feet high. There are 7 dead trees that I can see from my balcony. The sprinklers are flooding the grounds and there is standing water. There is dog mess all over the place and it stinks. Almost no one picks up after their dog. They failed to make tenant's move their cars out of the guest parking and it didn't get sealed and the spaces are piled with dirt. I have never know a company to be so negligent and unresponsive. In the mean time they issued me a warning for some little yard ornaments that were on the ground in front of my place, which I have removed. This is a brand new development. In May the landscaping looked great. It looks like trash now. I am going to the HOA board meeting this Thursday to see what they say. I'm wondering if any of you have advice. On Yelp Associa has 1.5 stars, they have 2.2 on Google and 1 on Facebook. Their BBB page is full of 1 star reviews and hundreds of complaints but the BBB rates them A+.

Last edited:
I am going to the HOA board meeting this Thursday to see what they say. I'm wondering if any of you have advice.

Going to the board meeting would have been my initial advice.

I'm the Treasurer and a Board member in my HOA. The vast majority of people with complaints can't be bothered to go to a meeting. That's unfortunate, as showing up to voice your problems in person often goes a long way.

If you don't get satisfaction at the meeting, read through your by-laws and learn the formal process for filing a complaint in writing. Creating a petition and getting some of your neighbors to sign and join you in your complaint should help.

Try to be specific in your complaint and requests with dates and times. Pictures can help. General complaints like "you are doing a terrible job" are less effective.

On Yelp Associa has 1.5 stars, they have 2.2 on Google and 1 on Facebook. Their BBB page is full of 1 star reviews and hundreds of complaints but the BBB rates them A+.
It's unfortunate you didn't read these star ratings before purchasing. Sounds bad.

Last edited:
Do other neighbors have the same issues with the HOA? It is supposed to represent the homeowners, after all. Get some like-minded people together, and storm the meeting. Bring photos.

Remember: one complainer = a crank.
Two complainers = an issue.
Three or more = a movement.

I don't know how far along your development is as far as built out. It is very common for the Owner/Builder to control the HOA until xx% of the units are sold. The Owner/Builder then only puts on an appearance of a nice property then neglects and maybe doesn't even build out amenities. Another ploy is to under fund the dues to make it more "affordable" then the new Board is the bad guys for raising dues.

You may have to wait until the owners take over the HOA. And then hope that the Board is functional together. failing that I might find out the Board members and pester them in person

*edit...or go to the Board meeting with back up (see above)

Do other neighbors have the same issues with the HOA? It is supposed to represent the homeowners, after all. Get some like-minded people together, and storm the meeting. Bring photos.

Remember: one complainer = a crank.
Two complainers = an issue.
Three or more = a movement.

The issues with weeds and dog mess and sprinklers are all over the common area so yes everyone as the same issues. I have talked with one neighbor, I'm trying to find more. Some are renters who don't care.

I don't know how far along your development is as far as built out. It is very common for the Owner/Builder to control the HOA until xx% of the units are sold. The Owner/Builder then only puts on an appearance of a nice property then neglects and maybe doesn't even build out amenities. Another ploy is to under fund the dues to make it more "affordable" then the new Board is the bad guys for raising dues.

You may have to wait until the owners take over the HOA. And then hope that the Board is functional together. failing that I might find out the Board members and pester them in person

The property sold out in May. The transfer to the new board is happening. The builder did finish the common area amenities, but possibly has not funded on going landscaping.

Going to the board meeting would have been my initial advice.

I'm the Treasurer and a Board member in my HOA. The vast majority of people with complaints can't be bothered to go to a meeting. That's unfortunate, as showing up to voice your problems in person often goes a long way.

If you don't get satisfaction at the meeting, read through your by-laws and learn the formal process for filing a complaint in writing. Creating a petition and getting some of your neighbors to sign and join you in your complaint should help.

Try to be specific in your complaint and requests with dates and times. Pictures can help. General complaints like "you are doing a terrible job" are less effective.

It's unfortunate you didn't read these star ratings before purchasing. Sounds bad.

I have sent emails with pictures of each problem item to the builder rep and to the HOA management company agent. I have listed out over watering, soaking ground, weeds and tree shoots everywhere, 7 dead trees, dog mess everywhere. I have been very specific.

My problem isn't with my property, only with the HOA management and I would not have known who they were before I bought. If they don't clean up the mess I'll push for the board to replace them.

Last edited:
We have a condo complex near us that took 3 years to build and sell out. The residents were having the same kind of problems when the builder ran the HOA (lack of maintenance). Now that it's (the HOA) run by owner-members, they found out that the builder did not police residents that did not pay HOA fees since construction started. Consequently, the HOA has $60K in uncollected fees that they may never collect. :facepalm:

I have sent emails with pictures of each problem item to the builder rep and to the HOA management company agent. I have listed out over watering, soaking ground, weeds and tree shoots everywhere, 7 dead trees, dog mess everywhere. I have been very specific.

You should have copied the HOA board on your emails and photos.

Many times the management company agents are instructed to deal with one committee member or member of the board (for example, the head of the Landscaping Committee). That way, they don't have to handle hundreds of issues arriving randomly, but can have issues funneled and coordinated with one individual.

We have had this issue with our landscaping and plowing. Individual homeowners were trying to get the workers to do all sorts of things at our expense.

My problem isn't with my property, only with the HOA management and I would not have known who they were before I bought. If they don't clean up the mess I'll push for the board to replace them.
Before I bought a home in our HOA, I learned who all the major service providers were, and researched them.

Good luck. You'll likely need help in your push, I suspect. It will probably take some time.

Last edited:
Consequently, the HOA has $60K in uncollected fees that they may never collect. :facepalm:

Why not? Just because they haven't yet been collected doesn't mean that cannot.

You don't yet know if the issue is your board or the association - often two separate entities. Since you mention as well the development is brand new, it may not yet even have a board, and you might still have the builders in charge? I think with a lot of properties, they don't officially setup boards until 90% of units are sold or something?
Check your HOA bylaws to see how the chain of command works.

Get a couple of neighbors who are similarly irked and show up with printed evidence at the HOA meeting, prepare to be a real nuisance.

You don't yet know if the issue is your board or the association - often two separate entities. Since you mention as well the development is brand new, it may not yet even have a board, and you might still have the builders in charge? I think with a lot of properties, they don't officially setup boards until 90% of units are sold or something?
Check your HOA bylaws to see how the chain of command works.

Get a couple of neighbors who are similarly irked and show up with printed evidence at the HOA meeting, prepare to be a real nuisance.

They sent out ballots for the board last month and they are going through the transition to the owner board. As far as I can tell the builder and the association have dropped the ball on landscaping of the common areas, but I will find out at the board meeting what is going on and what their plan is. In the mean time the place is so overrun with weeds that it will be difficult to clean it up. I am trying to round up neighbors.

We have a condo complex near us that took 3 years to build and sell out. The residents were having the same kind of problems when the builder ran the HOA (lack of maintenance). Now that it's (the HOA) run by owner-members, they found out that the builder did not police residents that did not pay HOA fees since construction started. Consequently, the HOA has $60K in uncollected fees that they may never collect. :facepalm:

Liens can be placed on the property.

They sent out ballots for the board last month and they are going through the transition to the owner board. As far as I can tell the builder and the association have dropped the ball on landscaping of the common areas, but I will find out at the board meeting what is going on and what their plan is. In the mean time the place is so overrun with weeds that it will be difficult to clean it up. I am trying to round up neighbors.

you may want to negotiate the builder do a clean up of weeds and check of the sprinklers before turn over

You should have copied the HOA board on your emails and photos.

Many times the management company agents are instructed to deal with one committee member or member of the board (for example, the head of the Landscaping Committee). That way, they don't have to handle hundreds of issues arriving randomly, but can have issues funneled and coordinated with one individual.

We have had this issue with our landscaping and plowing. Individual homeowners were trying to get the workers to do all sorts of things at our expense.

Before I bought a home in our HOA, I learned who all the major service providers were, and researched them.

Good luck. You'll likely need help in your push, I suspect. It will probably take some time.

Once I find out who the board members are and how to contact them I will copy them. In the mean time I'm trying to get the association to clean up the landscaping before it is beyond hope.

Why not? Just because they haven't yet been collected doesn't mean that cannot.

My understanding is that legal actions are being evaluated and will be costly. Plus, some of the early buyers have sold and moved, or were renting with an option to buy. It's a big mess with poor recordkeeping. One of my friends is a homeowner and relayed this situation to me and our ROMEO group.

There seems to be a bit of confusion here. The HOA will have a Board of Directors although in a new development, the HOA/board may be run by the builder. Associa is a management company that would have been hired by the HOA or perhaps builder in this case to take care of day to day operation and dealing with vendors who will do the actual work like maintaining the landscape. The management company e.g. Associa is not part of the HOA. It will be under contract and that contract will probably include conditions of performance so it might be possible to fire the management company for cause. The problem will be if the board is still controlled by the developer/builder. They may be trying to avoid paying for routine maintenance but I would think your CC&R's would dictate what the builder has to continue to do prior to the owners taking control. If the builder is not living up to the terms of the CC&R's, then there may be grounds for legal action. Is the builder in distress?

At the end of May I moved to my brand new retirement condo in Reno. I am very happy with the unit, however the HOA management company Associa is another matter. They are totally neglecting the landscaping. I have called them many times and nothing happens. I should not have to call. This is their job to manage. There are tree shoots and weeds all over the property that are taking over and some are 2 feet high. There are 7 dead trees that I can see from my balcony. The sprinklers are flooding the grounds and there is standing water. There is dog mess all over the place and it stinks. Almost no one picks up after their dog. They failed to make tenant's move their cars out of the guest parking and it didn't get sealed and the spaces are piled with dirt. I have never know a company to be so negligent and unresponsive. In the mean time they issued me a warning for some little yard ornaments that were on the ground in front of my place, which I have removed. This is a brand new development. In May the landscaping looked great. It looks like trash now. I am going to the HOA board meeting this Thursday to see what they say. I'm wondering if any of you have advice. On Yelp Associa has 1.5 stars, they have 2.2 on Google and 1 on Facebook. Their BBB page is full of 1 star reviews and hundreds of complaints but the BBB rates them A+.

:popcorn:

There seems to be a bit of confusion here. The HOA will have a Board of Directors although in a new development, the HOA/board may be run by the builder. Associa is a management company that would have been hired by the HOA or perhaps builder in this case to take care of day to day operation and dealing with vendors who will do the actual work like maintaining the landscape. The management company e.g. Associa is not part of the HOA. It will be under contract and that contract will probably include conditions of performance so it might be possible to fire the management company for cause. The problem will be if the board is still controlled by the developer/builder. They may be trying to avoid paying for routine maintenance but I would think your CC&R's would dictate what the builder has to continue to do prior to the owners taking control. If the builder is not living up to the terms of the CC&R's, then there may be grounds for legal action. Is the builder in distress?

Associa was hired by the builder to manage the operations as far as I know. An owner board has been elected but I don't know if they have been seated. I will find out at the next meeting. In an older notice that I got the listed board president was a sales person for the builder. In my past HOA I dealt with the management company and only communicated with the board members at the board meetings. That would be Associa in this case. I think that you are right that the builder is trying to save money and the new owner board is not in control of Associa. I am going to check the CC&R's to see what the builder is obligated to do. It seems to me that they are willfully neglecting the landscaping. I do not think that they are in distress but who knows. I will try to get to the bottom of it at the board meeting this Thursday. In the mean time that landscaping is going out of control fast.

The issues with weeds and dog mess and sprinklers are all over the common area so yes everyone as the same issues. I have talked with one neighbor, I'm trying to find more. Some are renters who don't care.

I assume the renters don't like stepping in dog poop either. But if you have a lot renters this could be a problem for you, as renters opinions aren't going to matter to the HOA company.

Any HOA needs to have an attorney available to go through the process of placing liens on properties for non-payers. And not all HOA management companies are created equal, as they're responsible for collections until they're deemed uncollectible.

Hard to tell if your issues are with HOA or the management company hired by HOA. It seems you complained directly to the management company (Associa?) but I think they work for the HOA, not individual homeowners. I think the HOA is more of an issue

Any HOA needs to have an attorney available to go through the process of placing liens on properties for non-payers. And not all HOA management companies are created equal, as they're responsible for collections until they're deemed uncollectible.

Agree, and now that the NEW HOA is in place as of this summer, since my friend bought the last builder's unit, I'm sure that the NEW HOA will be taking legal action against any current/past owners in arrears if they can through liens or other means.

According to my friend, it's not as cut and dry as you all seem to think these things should be. Apparently, the builder HOA (or management team) did not keep good records of maintenance assessment payments over the 3 year build out period.

Like I said in my other post, the situation appears to be a mess.

Back
Top Bottom