Rehabbing a summer cabin built in 1972

Nope.

I'm counting my blessings though. We used to LIVE 5 houses down from where the camp is. I am grateful we don't live there anymore. That would have been at least a month in a hotel room, and would have required a quick clean up and fix.

Everything at the camp is cheaper, and less necessary. I didn't use the washer and dryer much because we live 20 minutes away. A cheap set from Craigslist will do, and we can wait on that.

So sorry, ugeauxgirl. We helped my sister and her husband clean up after Katrina. Cleaning up after getting flooded out is no fun! You have a great attitude.

Is it feasible to raise it higher on stilts, like I've seen on the coasts?

-ERD50
The main cabin is 10 or 12 feet off the ground, and that's plenty. Somebody tacked an addition on that is only 5 or 6 feet off of work ground and it wasn't. The river hasn't been this high in 40 years. Too expensive to raise. It'd be easier to tear the addition off. Easiest solution is to just fix it and hope it doesn't happen again for 40 more years.

We'll rip out the carpet and just paint the sub- floor with porch paint and call that done. We'll cut the panelling off and add tin wainscoting to cover- and attach that with screws in case the water rises again...

The really good news is that the addition is completely separate from the rest of the camp, so we can take our time fixing it, and use the main camp while we do.

Last edited:
I remember living in Waveland it was common for like Pass Christian to flood. Had to help a few buddies empty out wet houses. Shoot it happens up north here from time to time as well. Hope the damage is minimal.
I spent the weekend in Long Beach MS. My parents just moved there and I love that area!

Went to the camp to survey the damage. It was the expected mess. The addition appears to have been constructed by amateurs. It was really easy to get everything out that we needed to because nothing was attached very well. [emoji23].

The bad news is that the carpet was attached to the floor with glue, which means I'm going to have to sand it before I paint it.

The good news is, there isn't any insulation in the walls which means we didn't have to pull the panelling off. We're hoping it will just dry. For once, it's cool and not humid. Left the doors open etc.

Mud everywhere of course, but I made some progress with that today. The ping pong table survived and furniture survived. I think my crab traps were lost. Oh well.

My 12 year old amused himself by kayaking into the normally impassable marsh and retrieving buckets, coolers, trash cans, gas cans, etc.

Next week after it dries some, we'll work on it some more.

Not bad. I'm at the cabin now burning yard waste and watching it snow. 1st time I've had cell reception here!

Not sure how I feel about that.

DH got a cell signal booster for the camp. I wish I hadn't agreed to it. I love being out of touch. Of course I didn't TELL anyone that we now sometimes have service out there. So it's my excuse when I don't return calls or texts. [emoji16]

We worked again today and decided it would be safer to remove the bottom of the panelling and spray it with mold killer. It wasn't too hard since the beaded board ran sideways- we scored and broke it. Spent $200 at Lowe's on paint and supplies. We'll need 8 inch molding to cover the gap. More mud eradicated.

We've only "found" one snake so far...

Last edited:
.... We'll rip out the carpet and just paint the sub- floor with porch paint and call that done. ...

Before we demolished and rebuilt we had flooding in our old camp but from a backed up septic line rather than a flood. We tore out the carpet and found an inexpensive lightweight carpeting with a felt backing/pad attached and cut it to the room size and just taped it down in a few places along the edges with double sided tape. It worked really well and if it ever did flood we planned to take the carpeting out and lay it out on the lawn, clean it and let it dry and then put it back.

Luckily, we had the septic fixed and never had a problem recur.

Before we demolished and rebuilt we had flooding in our old camp but from a backed up septic line rather than a flood. We tore out the carpet and found an inexpensive lightweight carpeting with a felt backing/pad attached and cut it to the room size and just taped it down in a few places along the edges with double sided tape. It worked really well and if it ever did flood we planned to take the carpeting out and lay it out on the lawn, clean it and let it dry and then put it back.

Luckily, we had the septic fixed and never had a problem recur.
Good idea, but I already bought the paint. I'd rather sweep than vacuum.

I wish you well in the repairing/rebuilding processes. Last spring 2019 the river here flooded and went as far as 4 miles out of river bed. I knew 5 families personally that had to burn or bulldoze their full time homes in. They all have rebuilt but the cost was something they had not expected and all were within 5 to 8 years age 62. Flooding in this area was unprecedent for that area and has never flooded before.
Keep us informed on your progress and hope all goes well.

Cleaning up the camp is a perfect social distance activity. We spent about 5 hours there today. DH and oldest son pressure washed and cleaned up outside. Youngest son and I cleaned up inside and sanded the plywood floor for painting tomorrow. Going home for a shower and dinner. Coming back tomorrow to prime and paint. And more power washing.

Similar here. Sawing some logs, clearing pine needles.

Youngest son and I finished painting the floor of the flooded room yesterday. DH went to Lowe's and got boards to use as moulding. We'll stain those today at home. We're up to $420 in repair materials.

Last edited:
You're really fortunate you're willing to get your hands dirty on such a job. Sorry you're having to go thru this.

We're up on the Tennessee River, and they've got the spillways running half open. Still a mountain of water breeching over maybe 20 spillways. But even at that, the level of the water is maybe 3 1/2 feet lower than normal. I cannot begin to get my boat out of its boathouse until they raise the water.

But our water's going out into the Ohio River and down the Mississippi to New Orleans.

We're fortunate to only have a 3' swing in water levels, as our houses are in no chance of being flooded 40' off the water.

Actually, I'd forgotten how much I love projects like this. I'll be fully retired before the end of the year, and I'm making lists of chores to tackle. It's very satisfying to finish jobs like this. We're nearly done and will spend less than a years premium for flood insurance to finish it. Life is good!

Nearly done with flood repairs at the river. I'm so thrilled with how good it looks so far. We bought 1x10s for base boards. The hole we made in the panelling was only 7.5 inches, but a 1x 8 is only 7.25 inches high. We put tin in to cover the sheetrock we tore out. Just a few bits of trim left to go. It has been a fun project. Will post pictures when we're done.

I look forward to seeing it. Oldest daughter and I did some yardwork and ours, and some work on the old console radio.

Attachments

• IMG_20200404_133131_6~2.jpg
    IMG_20200404_133131_6~2.jpg
    723.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20200404_100859_3~2.jpg
    IMG_20200404_100859_3~2.jpg
    722.2 KB · Views: 41
Nearly done with flood repairs at the river. I'm so thrilled with how good it looks so far. We bought 1x10s for base boards. The hole we made in the panelling was only 7.5 inches, but a 1x 8 is only 7.25 inches high. We put tin in to cover the sheetrock we tore out. Just a few bits of trim left to go. It has been a fun project. Will post pictures when we're done.

Just as an aside, you don't have to bring the wallboard or paneling all the way to the floor. Leaving a half or even an inch is no big deal, since it will be covered with the baseboards anyway. When we removed some rotting trim in our house in FL we saw that the drywall didn't come all the way to the floor, which worked out well as the water only damaged the trim, not the drywall. Looking forward to the pictures. Hope you took some before shots too.

Just as an aside, you don't have to bring the wallboard or paneling all the way to the floor. Leaving a half or even an inch is no big deal, since it will be covered with the baseboards anyway. When we removed some rotting trim in our house in FL we saw that the drywall didn't come all the way to the floor, which worked out well as the water only damaged the trim, not the drywall. Looking forward to the pictures. Hope you took some before shots too.
The sheetrock soaked up some water. We cut it off 2.5 feet from the floor. It would have been hard to hide that with baseboards- even 1 x 10s. :)

Heck, just do some bead board or ship lap. Nobody has to know what's behind it. j/k

Finished- mostly. We have a few little things we need to add. Floor needs a touch up in a few areas, but I'm pretty happy with it for now.IMG_20200412_104237951.jpegIMG_20200412_102913751.jpegIMG_20200412_102842066.jpeg

Looking at nearby scenery.

Attachments

• IMG_20200418_120104_7~2.jpg
    IMG_20200418_120104_7~2.jpg
    529.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20200418_121814_3~2.jpg
    IMG_20200418_121814_3~2.jpg
    835.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20200418_122107_5~2.jpg
    IMG_20200418_122107_5~2.jpg
    683.2 KB · Views: 56
Back