Rehabbing a summer cabin built in 1972

I really enjoy your cabin thread and thanks for sharing your progress and enjoyment.
Here is an old cabin homestead shack that is on my ranch. This old homestead sits 10 steps from the rivers edge. But sits higher and was never touched by the flood water or the ice. These old timers know where to build and paid attention to detail. It was one of the worst floods here this spring also. A few old timers told me, that is was the worst that they ever seen. About 50 home over many miles flooded.

Attachments

• IMG_1957.jpg
    IMG_1957.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I think you win. Err, lose in this case. The chimney is an easy fix

Been up to cabin a few times in last month. Mostly burning slash piles from last years logging. I was a little busy when the flame was 16' high. ;)

Here's a shot at a tamer stage. Also hung out at the spring. :cool:

Attachments

• DSCN0867.jpg
    DSCN0867.jpg
    888.2 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN0875.jpg
    DSCN0875.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
The Complete Joy of Learning From Your Mistakes!

Sometimes you don't do things right the first time. Case in point, the chimney a friend and I reinstalled last month.

We originally installed it with a thick iron support bar attached at the spot where you now see the wood support coming out from under the eaves, and angling straight up from the roof. About 6' of snow last winter proved that wasn't a good design. It took the chimney off, and bent the bar. This time we took a belt, suspenders, and duct tape approach. I think it will stand up to deep snow a little better.

Attachments

• DSCN0929.jpg
    DSCN0929.jpg
    712.4 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN0930.jpg
    DSCN0930.jpg
    903.6 KB · Views: 71
Power company removed about 8 dangerous trees in December. Sure opened up the front of the place. Makes a nice supply of firewood for a few years.

Attachments

• 20191214_111717.jpg
    20191214_111717.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 88
  • 20191214_111825.jpg
    20191214_111825.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 87
Nothing great for firewood: pine and fir.

How's your place shaped up?

We thought we needed to re-do the caulking on the front windows, but when we got up there, it was all rotted and we had to replace most of it. The walkway to the pier was shaky and also rotted in spots. When we went to replace that, we discovered that the walkway wasn't connected to the pier at all. It's much more stable now... [emoji23]. We took all of the screen out of the deck over the boat house. Replaced the Formica countertop with a wooden one. We've declared war on the squirrels who have eaten through a water line and also a lot of electrical wiring. Got a ping pong table! [emoji16]

We thought we needed to re-do the caulking on the front windows, but when we got up there, it was all rotted and we had to replace most of it. The walkway to the pier was shaky and also rotted in spots. When we went to replace that, we discovered that the walkway wasn't connected to the pier at all. It's much more stable now... [emoji23]. We took all of the screen out of the deck over the boat house. Replaced the Formica countertop with a wooden one. We've declared war on the squirrels who have eaten through a water line and also a lot of electrical wiring. Got a ping pong table! [emoji16]

I think you worked harder than I did this year!

It's all in preparation for the summer. I'm retiring and planning on spending quite a lot of time relaxing on the newly repaired pier!

Well, it looks like there is more remodeling in store for this summer. The river is higher than anyone remembers. It's not in the cabin yet, but we suspect it will be by Friday. We already can't get in by the road. We're going to put the boat in tomorrow morning and move everything we can to the upper floors. The only thing that may get flooded is the lower addition and the screened porch downstairs. Oh well. I hated that carpet anyway.

Ouch! I got to put my chimney back up. Snow took it down. Trying a new location. Third time's the charm!

Attachments

• IMG_20200217_102221_5.jpg
    IMG_20200217_102221_5.jpg
    775 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20200216_180339_0.jpg
    IMG_20200216_180339_0.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 56
We watched a program on DIY called "Maine Cabin Masters", and can understand all that you have to go through.

Hope you do not get flooded.

It looked better than we thought. The river is still predicted to rise about 2 feet, but that's at a point up the river where it's still in it's banks. It's out of the banks at our camp, and the river could rise another foot and a half before it gets in the house. We're hopeful.

We rescued the kayaks and lawnmower and emptied out the fridge and freezer as the power company may turn the power off. The water was over my boots, and it was COLD.

The river won't crest till this Friday, and won't start falling till Sunday. We won't be able to get in by road till next Friday at least.[emoji1696][emoji1696]IMG_20200218_090444808_HDR.jpeg

Everything end up ok?
Sadly, no. Have a foot of water in the ground floor. The good news is that we put the furniture on blocks, so it's fine. Probably lost a ping pong table, washer, dryer, and water heater. The water heater needed to be replaced anyway. Water won't start falling till tomorrow. Can't get in to clean up the mess for 10 days at least. Could have been worse...

Sadly, no. Have a foot of water in the ground floor. The good news is that we put the furniture on blocks, so it's fine. Probably lost a ping pong table, washer, dryer, and water heater. The water heater needed to be replaced anyway. Water won't start falling till tomorrow. Can't get in to clean up the mess for 10 days at least. Could have been worse...

Sorry to hear that. Still a hefty loss - any insurance coverage?

Nope.

I'm counting my blessings though. We used to LIVE 5 houses down from where the camp is. I am grateful we don't live there anymore. That would have been at least a month in a hotel room, and would have required a quick clean up and fix.

Everything at the camp is cheaper, and less necessary. I didn't use the washer and dryer much because we live 20 minutes away. A cheap set from Craigslist will do, and we can wait on that.

Last edited:
Nope.

I'm counting my blessings though. We used to LIVE 5 houses down from where the camp is. I am grateful we don't live there anymore. That would have been at least a month in a hotel room, and would have required a quick clean up and fix.

Everything at the camp is cheaper, and less necessary. I didn't use the washer and dryer much because we live 20 minutes away. A cheap set from Craigslist will do, and we can wait on that.

I remember living in Waveland it was common for like Pass Christian to flood. Had to help a few buddies empty out wet houses. Shoot it happens up north here from time to time as well. Hope the damage is minimal.

Nope.

Is it feasible to raise it higher on stilts, like I've seen on the coasts?

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom