Remodel ideas?

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We are buying a home with cherry cabinets and black granite countertops throughout. The design is too dark and too traditional for our tastes. We are considering three options:
- Reface cabinets, possibly change to white, and leave countertops as they are
- Replace granite with lighter colored quartz and leave cabinets as they are
- Replace cabinets and countertops

We’ve never had cabinets refaced. Would welcome any suggestions of what to consider in making this decision.

IMG_3916.jpg

Refacing cabinets can work. But, for some cabinets, it is more expensive than you might expect.

Things I would think about:

1. Why do I want to reface the cabinets instead of just painting them? Do you not like the look (apart from color)? Do the doors stick? That kind of thing. If you just want a different color I would just paint the cabinets. While you can paint white you aren't limited to just white FWIW. If you do paint the cabinets, do paint them inside as well.

2. An argument for replacing cabinets is if the interior of the cabinets need work. We will be replacing our cabinets in a couple of years probably. Do the drawers stick? Are they full extension drawers? Do you have lower shelves when you would prefer to have more lower drawers? Many cabinets now have full extension drawers and it is typical that at least some of the lower cabinets are drawers instead of shelves. Also it is common now for shelves to be adjustable. If you don't have those things then you might want to just go ahead and replace the cabinets (and countertops). On the other hand, if you are totally happy with the cabinets and just want a lighter color then I would probably just paint the cabinets. I would probably only reface if (1) I totally loved the interior part of the cabinets and (2) I wanted a different look for the outside of my cabinets.

3. If it was me I would put in a backsplash better the countertop and the upper cabinets. I think what is in the pic looks dated. If I wasn't wanting to put in a ton of money I would probably paint the cabinets and then put in a backsplash and keep my existing countertop.

I agree with Katsmeow about painting the cabinets if they don't suit you--and the backsplash. Sanding, priming and painting cabinets is a whole lot more work than most realize. Then you have to do it on both sides of the cabinet doors. I understand that Sherwin Williams may have a special cabinet paint that doesn't require sanding, etc.

Replacing the cabinet tops is a major expenditure--whether using granite or quartz tops. I'm talking $5K+ in most kitchens. So the cabinet tops are often something you've got to learn to live with for the long run. It's the same with the cabinets--very expensive.

Then you've got to make a decision on the color of paint. Kitchens are very trendy, and white cabinets are now being replaced with dark grays and even black colors. Often, whites are used on the upper cabinets. But what will be the in color in the future?

These are just tough decisions since you've got to live with them. Even picking colors of appliances is hard as they're now going to black stainless from regular stainless. Black appliances are totally out, as are white appliances. ? ? ? New appliances also quickly run into $5K.

Cherry is beautiful and a waste to paint over. Do the countertop.

Unless you have the cabinets painted professionally the paint for DYI can scratch pretty easily, especially around the handles. Would new cabinet handles, wall paint and lighting change the style to your taste and brighten the room? The flooring doesn't look like it goes with the cabinets and appliances.

My vote goes to brighter wall paint, better lighting / task lighting, and the back splash. The cherry cabinets and counter tops are very nice.

We are buying a home with cherry cabinets and black granite countertops throughout. The design is too dark and too traditional for our tastes. We are considering three options:
- Reface cabinets, possibly change to white, and leave countertops as they are
- Replace granite with lighter colored quartz and leave cabinets as they are
- Replace cabinets and countertops

We’ve never had cabinets refaced. Would welcome any suggestions of what to consider in making this decision.

A combination of #2 (Replace granite with lighter colored quartz ) and adding other color accent(s) will help. Color is subjective, and it should be what you want. Our kitchen is about 15 years since upgrading. Appliances are new.

I remember spending a lot of time deciding on a neutral color or white for the counter top. We needed white (actually has specs of color) to help with lighting. It is Wilsonart with integrated composite sink.

Attachments

• IMG_20190927_062528.jpg
    IMG_20190927_062528.jpg
    614.1 KB · Views: 53
Those are beautiful cherry cabinets and I would be hesitant to repaint them, although that would be the cheapest route to a new look. Personally, I am not a fan of black granite as it smacks of a bachelor pad look in my opinion. Also adding a tile backsplash and under cabinet lighting might be something to consider.

Don't change the cabinets or the countertop. They look very nice and modern. I would prefer those over what I have now. Maybe add a backsplash.

As others have said, I would try other options to change the appearance of the kitchen. If none of those options work for you (lighting, paint, backsplash) then I guess I’d change out the counter tops.

That's a tired/dated look.

The style of the cabinet is fine. I would add a light quartz counter top and tile the backsplash to add some pop. I would also consider running the backsplash tile all the way to the top of the cabinets.

Once you change out the counter tops and backsplash, you'll realize you have a nice warm/cool contrast and won't find the cabinets so tired looking.

We did something similar with a space that was a bit dated.

Attachments

• IMG_0812.jpg
    IMG_0812.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I don't know. I'm 71 years old and have moved 30 times in my life. Despite that, so far I have never felt a burning need to do a kitchen remodel. All my kitchens have been usable and reasonably pleasant. Now HGTV would have a different opinion, I am sure! :)

The blank wall between the lowers & uppers looks....blank. I'm not a fan of black countertops. Hard to keep clean, shows everything. I do like the cabs though. I "might" change the countertop. And do back splash up higher of the wall to fill

I watch Fixer Upper with Joanna and Chip Gaines. They do a mix and match of modern and shabby chic. We have similar cabinets as OP, but brick back splash, bamboo floors and mixture light/dark granite countertops. I think the whole picture of the space, backing up the view gives a better understanding of what to change.

Our kitchen has lots of outside light, with french doors opening to sun room. We have lots of shabby chic extras. Honestly, watch a few episodes of Fixer Upper. You'll get lots of ideas and the thought behind the decisions.

I would replace the cabinet doors, with a more modern door, update the hardware, and add a blacksplash. Change the counter if you want lighter, but my point is that by keeping the cabinet boxes, you will save a lot of $$ and hassle. A few years ago we redid a kitchen and put in solid surface doors that have a modern look in a traditional material - you could work with a local cabinet shop to get a close match.

The counter surface is dark but replacement is spendy. You might pull down the back splash and try lighter colored subway tiles or glass - it's an easy DIY job. Here are some pics of that kitchen - we replaced the range a few years after the initial remodel. I loved the smooth surface cherry - it was sooo easy to clean.

Attachments

• new stove.jpg
    new stove.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 38
  • crop_1.jpg
    crop_1.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 40
  • crop_2.jpg
    crop_2.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 37
I'd keep the cabinets, they are lovely as long as they are in good condition. Not a fan of the granite, but agree with the rest I'd try a backsplash first with under cabinet lighting to get more shine and paint the walls for some color and add some decorative pops of color.

I got some USB LED lights that you just stick a magnet strip under the countertops and they stick on, the charge lasts about a month and you just pop them off, recharge and pop them back on. They have a sensor so you can have them on/off or motion sensored which is great as I walk in the kitchen at night they pop on and I don't need to turn on the light to get water or grab a snack. the light would reflect off that black and make it very bright, no wiring required and cost under $80 for my whole kitchen

Granted we only buy new construction now and keep moving from new townhome to new townhome, always in style and energy efficient and it fixes my remodeling bug. Current home is very similar to COcheesehead

Just add more lighting.

I’d keep the cabinets and install new tops , backsplash, and hardware.

We replaced our cabinets last year mainly because I was replacing the appliances. It would have been tough to refab the old cabinets to fit new appliances.

Attachments

• E00F33BC-38B8-42C4-95D6-589A42A63747.jpg
    E00F33BC-38B8-42C4-95D6-589A42A63747.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
For myself, chasing fashion seems like a great way to waste lots of money. I like to keep whatever I can make work.

I don't like dark counter tops because I tend to lose things against dark backgrounds but I wouldn't go to the expense of replacing those unless I got really annoyed.

I like maple.

I would consider carrying over the brighter white areas of the flooring to the backsplash, perhaps using tile like COcheesehead shows. The backsplash does look unnecessarily dull and wouldn't be too expensive to upgrade.

I agree that better lighting might be a great help.

OTOH, nobody has ever accused me of being stylish or artistic.

Last edited:
+1 for tile back splash and good lighting. - if you tile between countertop and cabinets you can install proper under cabinet lighting without worrying about the drywall patches (as it will be covered up). You should add better ceiling lights as well, it can brighten things up a whole lot. It could even be that you would not have to replace the countertop with adequate lighting.

I remodeled a dark kitchen with black granite countertops two years ago. I decided to paint the cabinets white and replace the dark countertop with a lighter one.

I don't know. I'm 71 years old and have moved 30 times in my life. Despite that, so far I have never felt a burning need to do a kitchen remodel. All my kitchens have been usable and reasonably pleasant. Now HGTV would have a different opinion, I am sure! :)

Exactly. Unless the drawers and cabinets are broken they're fine. After all I'm a little "dated myself". Our 25 year old white kitchen may be in or out of style this year but it doesn't matter. Just replacing the 50+ door/drawer knobs was more than I wanted to tackle. While I watch HGTV I can't help but feel it contributes to peoples unrealistic expectations. Marketing genius.

Reactions: W2R
Like several others, I'm in the school of "If it ain't broke don't fix it" and while I'm not sure, reputable observers have said my sense of style is pretty much non-existent. So I won't comment on the suggested changes.

However, if you're thinking of painting the cabinets, take some time and read some on the topic on the painttalk forum, a forum for professional painters. They're a bit snotty about DIYer's as ignorant cheap fools who are not allowed to post (sort of like paycheck-to-paycheck types are regarded here) but there is some good information to be had from the folks who make a living painting things. From what I've read there, yes you can paint your kitchen cabinets, but if you want it to last more than a year or two without getting all scratched up around the handles you better know what paint and top clear coat to use.

Hint: According to that forum professional painters never, ever, buy paint from Home Depot or Lowes. YMMV.

I'd replace the countertop, add a backsplash, and replace the flooring. If there's a bulkhead above the upper cabinets (can't tell from the pic) I'd remove it unless it hides ducting/plumbing, etc.

If you're getting new appliances...and I'm probably in the minority here...I'd go with white over stainless. Everyone has it and it's too common and looks dated to me.

Back
Top Bottom