Retirement weight gain/loss

I was over-weight for several years before I retired, and gained about 20 more after retirement. I climbed up on my Doc's scale in August 2013, and saw it hit 292#. Yikes! I decided then and there to do something about it. I cut out most dairy, cut red meat way back, cut out fried food, and eliminated about 99% of candy and sweets.

I started eating a lot more fruit, veggies, nuts, whole grains, legumes, and things like that. I still eat fats, but in the form of mono- and poly-unsaturated varieties. No trans-fats and very little saturated-fat. I also started working out at the local hospital's exercise facility (it's open to those 50 and over, and requires a doctor's order). My daily goal is to always burn more calories than I eat!

I usually exercise and workout 7 days per week. I go for 3-5 mile brisk walks at least 6 days per week. And go for 10-15 mile bike rides several times per week.

I've lost 70# in the past year! I'm shooting to lose at least an additional 50#. I'd like to get back down to somewhere between 160-170#. Currently blood pressure is 114/60. LDL, HDL, Total Cholesterol, and triglycerides, are all in the normal range. All of my other blood work is good, too. I only take two meds, one of which has been cut drastically, and hoping to be off of both before too long! My mirror shows the true outward results, too!

Over all I feel fantastic, and I certainly don't feel a bit deprived with my healthy eating choices!

I retired 8/1 and my mother passed away on 8/31 after lots of doctor visits and 4 days in hospital/hospice care. Stayed by her side the entire time and am the executor of Will and have been focused on organizing and meeting legal requirements since. I had a very steady exercise and eating regimen while working the past year and was in the best shape since high school. That has been blown to bits. I believe I've got just about everything handled for her estate (except 4 timeshares), and am looking to get back on track. I've gained a few pounds but mostly have seen muscle mass turn to fat which means my clothes are snug. I actually enjoy exercise and am looking forward to getting back into a routine.
Congrats to all of you that have been successful in gaining back your health!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Great to hear from you Goonie...and congrats on the weight loss!

I am only about 1.5 months into ER. My much improved health and fitness as been by far my biggest accomplishment thus far. On my ER "to do" list (of about 30 things) GET FIT was #1 - and I have attacked this with a zeal that has surprised me a bit. About a month before my ER date I was 235lbs - this shocked me a bit. By simply improving my diet I was able to lose about 10lbs during my final month of work. Then, the day following my departure from my job, I signed up for 3 months at a gym a couple of blocks away. Since then, without fail, I have been doing 90 minutes of intensive cardio EVERY DAY during the 5 day work week. The first week was murder, but each week it has been getting easier. And the weight has been coming off rapidly.

Also, as I have touched on in some other posts, with the removal of work stress, the desire to eat fast food and consume alcohol has largely been eliminated. I enjoy cooking healthy meals that are ready when DW gets home from work. One night on weekends we treat ourselves to some good wine.

I am now 192lbs (down 43 lbs), and feeling (and looking IMHO) better than I have in many years. My increasingly wonky knees are magically unwonky. So much so I have started running again.

Early retirement has exceeded my expectations on so many levels - and I'm really just getting started. :dance:

Last edited:
I retired 19 months ago and have dropped from 224 to 188, mostly from reducing stress eating and cutting out sweets. I would love to exercise more, but arthritis, nerve damage and asthma make anything other than walking difficult, so I try to walk some every day weather permitting. My blood pressure is still controlled by medication, but all of my blood work is normal and makes my doctor happy. Early retirement has been great so far!

I gained about 5 lbs. I think a combination of not walking as much (I used to walk a few miles a day just to catch the train) and just getting older. On the other hand, I do have a more regular exercise routine now.

Back
Top Bottom