Retiring to a College Town

We live very close to a major metro area, and also very close to a college town - but not in either. So we enjoy a lower COL with all the benefits of both. You don't have to live in either to take advantage - e.g. we love having a college town nearby, but if it was isolated we wouldn't like it all. It would not surprise me if college/universities don't run into tuition crunches in the decades ahead, they may not be as bulletproof as in the past.

I've lived in 20 states and paid taxes in 10. The absence of cap gains taxes is very helpful for me in NH at the moment. But since my retirement was unplanned and incidental, I don't think I will die in NH.

I lived in several places in Durham, Cary, Raleigh, Winston and a few other towns in NC, so I learned the state fairly well. If price is no object, care at Duke and UNC is excellent, just as folks observed. The higher end of the market is well served, world class. As is the small subsidized free portion at the very bottom. It is the ever increasing gap between the two that NC health care has problems with cost and service.

I have always run hot, so the winter is not much of an impairment for me, and I enjoy snowboarding. Also, northern winters are sunnier than the fiercest day at the beach, which I prefer to carolina gloom. It is odd for the sun to rise at 9 and die at 3, but as retired human I get to see the sun instead of commute in the dark.

It is the small isolated mediocre college towns that I see suffering and contracting with their single source of funding. The students at UNC-CH are incidental to the great business in government research/contracting. Tuition is less of a factor than grants and contracts. The kids are irrelevant to the mission.

I had flat tires in Durham from needles and ammunition, saw entire neighborhoods stripped of their wheels and tires, had a bum die in the common basement of Duke sociopath founder residence converted to apartments, had cop shot in face on property. The natives refer to Duke as 'the plantation', largely due to the way NY/NJ students treat the staff. It is much improved from the 90's, but had a long way to go. I spent a year or two bribing Duke custodians so that I could directly access the internet at night as it was being formed. Good times.

The accidental use of hydraulic fluid as surgical cleaner stands out in my memory of Duke hospital, as does frequent losing of patients in rats maze of older buildings.

I do miss the wide range of food options, new england is stunted in comparison. And I miss the culture of growth and change that folks in NC subscribe to. New England leans hard toward whale oil and 1920 lifestyle. Uninsulated in NC was bad enough, up here it is more common and insanely expensive. Yet common. Sigh.

I wonder how many years ago you had all these bad experiences in NC. I live in Chapel Hill right now, go to Durham every week or so and have never had any of the type of experiences you describe. I highly recommend both Chapel Hill and Durham to retirees. Like any place there are some areas you might want want to go to but overall the area is safe and has lots of neat things to do.

As to the cost of health care at Duke and UNC, the cost may be high if you don't have health insurance but both places take Medicare and so for retirees on Medicare there would be no extra cost for getting world class health care.

I retired to a college town and I really like it. I went to UNC-Chapel Hill and then taught a few courses there over the years and when we retired we moved to Chapel Hill about 10 years ago. We live about a block from campus and walk or bike to campus almost every day. There are so many fun and interesting things to do on campus and around town (thing are opening back up now from the Covid shut down). This week UNC is having a summer jazz festival, with free concerts every night. Last night I went to an outdoor jazz concert and it was great. Many people retire to this area so there are many events geared to seniors. There is a Medical School here and one at Duke 8 miles down the road so there is excellent medical care.

For those of you looking for a place to retire, I suggest you look at college towns.

Not to mention all the eye candy lol

Most(?) colleges offer close-to-free class auditing options for seniors, a friend of mine is taking music recording and production classes because he is into that. There are also continuing education and continuing-education and other fun classes. From bird-watching to wine-tasting, all at friendly prices

Back
Top Bottom