Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-09-2021, 09:40 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hearing that "service" could even be "mandatory" would ruin it for me - especially if it were $500 to $1000 every 3 to 5 years. It would especially chap me to need to "send" the watch someplace - no local service. I'm sure I'd wear such a watch until it quit and then put it in the safe-deposit box and forget about it.

I would have assumed (apparently, wrongly) that "occasionally" a watch would fail and need service - like replacing a battery in a car every 3 to 5 years when it fails. My dad's Accutron watch needed a battery every so often. But, IIRC, it never quit except for a dead battery, requiring service but I might be wrong about that. I'm almost certain he could walk up the street to the jeweler who replaced watch batteries for everyone in the neighborhood and get his replaced.

My Toyota that burns that dirty gasoline does need the oil changed every year (or 5000 miles IIRC) but only needs most repairs (brakes, tires, flush) every so often due to failure or getting dirty. Why would a watch get dirty? I'd never wear a $15K watch to work on my car or work in the garden.

It sounds like a racket, but I guess that's why I just appreciate "looking" at the ads and don't REALLY want to own a fine watch. It would bother me too much to think about breaking it, losing it, having it stolen or be thinking ahead to sending it for service, even though it was working fine.

Apparently, it's a mind set I don't possess. The "jewelry" factor, I get. Wearing nice jewelry is something I appreciate - especially on my wife and I have often purchased a nice gold chain for her (theoretically, they have appreciated - some, dramatically.) BUT they don't need routine maintenance. Her favorite chain that she's worn 2 or 3 times/week for 35 years finally needed a new clasp - cost her $35 to repair a chain with just under a troy oz of gold in it. I think the chain cost me $400 new.

Sorry, I don't mean to denigrate ANYone's choice of a BTD movement. Just sharing what would ruin it for ME - keeping in mind that YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2021, 10:48 AM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

One more thing to add - the reason I didnít do as well on the resale of my watches as I could have/should have is simple: I dumped the original boxes and papers. Foolís error - that knocks many, many thousands off the value. If you have any thought of you or your heirs wanting to sell the watches on, you must must must keep all original boxes and papers (certificates, manuals, everything). People who are serious about buying used watches insist on the complete package. And then do the obvious - keep them well maintained, and donít bang them up. That was the other reason I eventually got rid of them - I canít help myself: I bump into things, I swing my arms while walking and bang into light poles, Iím basically a klutz who scuffs his shoes and has a hard time keeping nice things nice.
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:56 AM   #103
Dryer sheet aficionado

something to consider - if you buy a rolex and don't wear it every day - all that accuracy isn't worth crap when the watch stops because it needs winding
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:33 AM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by srpuywa View Post
something to consider - if you buy a rolex and don't wear it every day - all that accuracy isn't worth crap when the watch stops because it needs winding

If you donít wear it every day you definitely need a mechanical winder (another cost of ownership!). Without that the oils pool and youíre in for expensive repairsÖ.
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 04:26 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd852 View Post
If you donít wear it every day you definitely need a mechanical winder (another cost of ownership!). Without that the oils pool and youíre in for expensive repairsÖ.
Who knew an expensive watch was like a Tesla. Use it (the Tesla battery) or lose it. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:52 PM   #106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It cost more to perform maintenance on a high end watch than it does on a high end car. That’s just crazy.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:09 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
It cost more to perform maintenance on a high end watch than it does on a high end car. Thatís just crazy.
Heh, heh, and the clocks in my '99 and '00 BOTH still work!! YMMV

Old 05-09-2021, 07:27 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
It cost more to perform maintenance on a high end watch than it does on a high end car. Thatís just crazy.
I wonder if a fake Rolex only requires fake maintenance.
travelover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:23 PM   #109
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
The fake Rolex I bought in Singapore decades ago ran pretty well as it had a Swiss movement inside. Best $20 I ever spent on a timepiece. However, the fake gold plating came off and the crystal cracked after a year!

I have a Garmin Versa now. All plastic and still works after 2 + years.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:53 PM   #110

I have a silver-colored Rolex Submariner knock off that I got for under $20 shipped. It's a mechanical watch that if you don't wear it for a few (days/a week) winds down and you have o set the time again. You can see the (mechanical) movement running on the back-side.

I have quite a few watches, none of them expensive. I need dozens of watches because there may be a watch-apocalypse (watchocalypse) and may never be available again.

I have quite a large variety of sport and casual and dress watches most of which were purchased for between $10-20 direct from China. It takes a month (or more) for the cheap postal service I use to get me a watch. If you skip the very bottom end watches, then you'd be surprised at the quality of inexpensive Chinese watches

From my point of view, an expensive watch is just jewelry. I would be tired of an expensive watch in a month or two and want something different.

For $25k that the OP is speaking of spending, I would much rather have a 5 year old Corvette.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:11 PM   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
For $25k that the OP is speaking of spending, I would much rather have a 5 year old Corvette.
I second that!
Old 05-10-2021, 05:54 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I second that!
+2
Old 05-10-2021, 06:00 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Very good. They were great in concert.
I spent many happy hours listening to them, although I never got the chance to see them in concert.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:02 PM   #114
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post

5 year old Corvette means itís a C7 gen (2014-2019). Sorry, Vette market, just like Rolex market, has been on fire lately. For $25k you can probably get a base C6 Corvette (2005-2013) maybe with Z51 package if youíre lucky. Definitely not a C6 Z06 or C6 Grand Sport. C6 Grandí Sport and Z06 are in the mid to high 30s. A base C7 is probably at least $45k if youíre lucky.
EA-Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:26 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA-Sports View Post
5 year old Corvette means itís a C7 gen (2014-2019). Sorry, Vette market, just like Rolex market, has been on fire lately. For $25k you can probably get a base C6 Corvette (2005-2013) maybe with Z51 package if youíre lucky. Definitely not a C6 Z06 or C6 Grand Sport. C6 Grandí Sport and Z06 are in the mid to high 30s. A base C7 is probably at least $45k if youíre lucky.
Doesn't matter. When you are 70 years old, bald with a pony tail, a Vette is a Vette.
travelover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:54 PM   #116
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I bought a fake Rolex on a China trip..most accurate time-keeping I've ever experienced.......it used to lose exactly 15 minutes every hour!
mbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Watches
Old 05-11-2021, 10:12 AM   #117
Dryer sheet wannabe

Watches

Every time we traveled I invariably would purchase a new "cool looking" or "cool featured" or "fill in the blank here ..." watch. I now have a safe filled with watches that need to be wound, batteries replaced etc. and are never worn.

Now the only watch I wear is my Samsung that has everything I need, in addition to being able to use it as a phone if I don't want to carry my phone along.

If I had to do it over again, I'd save the money and use it elsewhere ... My 2 cents.
Broland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:14 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Doesn't matter. When you are 70 years old, bald with a pony tail, a Vette is a Vette.
AND it has a nice clock in it, no doubt!

Old 05-12-2021, 02:32 AM   #119
gone traveling

My iPhone 6 phone serves the purpose of my watch.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:06 AM   #120
Confused about dryer sheets

Get a sports watch like a garmin etc (ca.150$). They do all the smart watch things (notifications etc) plus you get heartrate monitoring, sleep monitoring, stresslevel monitoring Vo2 in the blood monitoring (covid). With this (new) tech you can monitor your health, physical condition and stress level and get all the other smart watch benefits.
I don't see the benefits of spending a large chunk of cash on a "dumb" watch if you can get al the benefits of a sportswatch for much less....
Crosscarver is offline   Reply With Quote