So I am thinking about a new fancy watch...

People blow dough on what they want to. Easy.

Same as it ever was.

The last time I bought an expensive watch was in high school. I spent $45 on a very nice self-winding watch by a then-well-known Swiss watchmaker which was a pile of money for a kid making $1.25/hour pumping gas.

Two weeks later I made an "unscheduled dismount" from my motorcycle and it stopped running. I took it to a repair shop and the guy said he took the back off and shook the pieces out.

After that I've never spent more than $10 for a watch.

I bought an Explorer II in 2001 for $3K. I saw the same watch at a pawn shop for $5.5k and a new one is $9k. I wouldn’t call them an investment but pick the right ones and you should be able to get your money back.

I just do what made me feel happy. Bought DW a nice Rolex because she wanted one and I could afford it. I, on the other hand, wanted to get rid of my own Rolex which I acquired during my working days. Now I wear a Timex everywhere I go.

Years ago when I was still working my boss went on a cruise . He bought an expense Tag Heuer . So he wore it to work and everyone was talking about it . A few weeks later I found a place on the net to buy a lookalike copy for 19.00
So I bought one and it came from China , had to pick up at the post office. I wore it to work and you know all the remarks ..Bluntly the watch was junk the stem kept falling out . But kept my mouth shut and one day at one of our meetings I threw it on the floor and stepped. On it ....you should have seen the looks .

Haven't read all the responses here but I finally purchased an "expensive" Rolex watch after years of wanting one and I'm glad I finally did it. For years I couldn't justify spending the money because of having to put my kids through college, save for retirement and all the other life expenses.

I finally got off my rear-end and did it although I was quick to learn that these popular and expensive watches aren't simply sitting in show cases waiting to be bought. Any expensive watch worth buying has a long waiting list to get. I was fortunate enough to get my Rolex "Batman" watch after just a 6 month wait. It's currently much longer now.

Although it wasn't purchased as an investment, I paid $10,000 for my watch 2 years ago and even now as used, it's worth something like $15,000 and there's a line of people waiting to buy it at that price! Yes, crazy.

You only live once so buy what you want. Also, don't worry about what others will think if you're wearing an expensive watch. No one other than another Rolex owner has ever noticed my watch. And yes, once in a while it does come up in conversation with strangers who are also Rolex owners. No different than any product such as a car.

My wife bought me a Rolex Submariner when our first child was born in 1999. I think she spent $3K on it new. I suspect they cost more than that today. We enjoy scuba diving, so it has been used at depth. It was a daily wear watch for a long time, though I find myself wearing my Apple Watch more now because it lets me know when I am getting a message or call since I prefer to have my ringer off on the iPhone.

I have sent the Submariner to Rolex twice for the 10 year service where they take the watch apart, clean it, polish it, lubricate the parts, put it back together and test it for accuracy (cost $500). Each time it came back from Rolex, it ran and looked brand new.

I also inherited my dad's Rolex that he bought (I suspect because he saw that I had been wearing one for years) several years before he passed. I occasionally wear that one for black tie events.

Last edited:
My wife bought me a Rolex Submariner when our first child was born in 1999. I think she spent $3K on it new. I suspect they cost more than that today.

Your wife unknowingly made a great investment. I'm sure that "used" Submariner is worth $10,000 or so now. Prices are crazy now and will probably never really come down, sort of like real estate.

ca. 1972, Dad went to Italy. He'd always wanted a nice watch. (Apparently, the Accutron the family chipped in for wasn't it.) So, he found a bargain Omega watch. He proudly presented it to the customs inspectors upon his return. They chuckled and sent him on his way. YMMV

I look at it somewhat differently. A watch in your sought after category is something that will live long after you are gone. I wouldn't call myself a watchhead but I do have some heirloom watches (Jaeger Reverso Duo and Breitling Navitimer) that I will pass down to my sons. The only advice I can provide is try to buy something "timeless".

My father bought an 18K gold (watch is gold and the band/bracelet is gold) Piaget in the early 80s. He did pass it down to me. I will probably pass it down but it has gone out of style. It sits in a safe. I have been thinking of going to Tourneau and trading it for a Patek because it truly just sits there. A watch with that much gold is not my style. My adult sons have seen it and feel the same as I do.

If you can afford it, do what makes you happy.

An old golf buddy of mine owned a Rolex. He would put it on after his round of golf. He said he had always wanted one and it was a gift to himself when he retired. Poor guy passed away earlier this year from cancer. He only got to enjoy retirement and his watch for a couple of years.

If you want one....buy it. As others have said 'do what makes you happy'.

I got a Rolex about 20 years ago and wore it daily until recently. About every 5 or 6 years, it would stop working and needed to get a “cleaning”. When Rolex does their maintenance, it comes back looking and running like new. But I paid almost $900 for the last cleaning. Talk about blowing dough!

I got a Rolex about 20 years ago and wore it daily until recently. About every 5 or 6 years, it would stop working and needed to get a “cleaning”. When Rolex does their maintenance, it comes looking and running like new. But I paid almost $900 for the last cleaning. Talk about blowing dough!

Yup, I think I was quoted $7-800. I have one from MegaCorp that is now 10 years old and I never did the 5-year service. Now the autowind doesn't seem to be working, though I can wind it manually. But I hardly wear it any more.

Maybe some day I'll BTD on service.

I no longer wear a watch everyday since I have a phone with me. But when I retired my company got me a pricy watch which I never would have bought for myself but do enjoy wearing for the right occasions, such as going out with people who are impressed by such things!

I would tend to not notice, but I love that they do.

So if the enjoyment is there, it is worth it!

Haven't worn a watch since early in my nursing career--never liked the feel, I don't wear bracelets either. But thats me.
OP--don't over think this. If you have the money to BTD, then do it! Buy what you want.
Rolex is a really nice gift to yourself!

There is something to be said in owning a nice time piece. I will pass mine down to my son. Just as you can get somewhere in a Rolls Royce or a used Yugo, it's about the ride not the time.

I enjoy the precision and craftsmanship of the watch. I bought it used 3 years ago and it's increased in value 20%.

Do what you want to do, you earned the money. If it gives you a sense of pleasure and satisfaction then that's all that matters.

I have only worn Timex or Casio for the past 30 years. I thought a nice watch would be nice and my wife gave me a beautiful Reactor for a birthday present. It may cost half of the cleaning cost for a Rolex but then i was happy with my $25 Casio.

Cheers!

I look at it somewhat differently. A watch in your sought after category is something that will live long after you are gone. I wouldn't call myself a watchhead but I do have some heirloom watches (Jaeger Reverso Duo and Breitling Navitimer) that I will pass down to my sons. The only advice I can provide is try to buy something "timeless".

If you can afford it, do what makes you happy.
It will be interesting to see if that trend holds. I haven't worn a watch or rings in over 10 years, never liked wearing them. Between various clocks at home and in the car and my iPhone, why do I need a watch? I know a lot of people, even my age, who don't wear watches anymore. Time will tell...

But I certainly agree with the last sentiment. If you can comfortably afford it and you want it, why even ask anyone else?

I'm not a watch person. I gave up wearing a watch years ago and get the time from the phone or computer. That being said, I look at a watch as a piece of jewelry. I would not buy a watch but I could see buying myself a really nice piece of jewelry for about the same price as what you are considering paying for your watch. So why not indulge yourself?! Just because I woudn't want a watch as a fancy piece of jewelry doesn't mean you shouldn't have one!

I like watches too...

Wow a Breitling! Love it. I couldn’t bring myself to spend that much. Truth be told I did look at one seriously for a while however.

I have a TAG Heuer Aquaracer. Great timepiece. All stainless, it’s built like a tank. As hard as I am on watches it still looks great. Also have a Raymond Weil gold and stainless dress watch.

For everyday wear however DW gave me an Apple Watch…

So, I'm struggling with being indulgent on the purchase of a new fancy watch. I have not bought a new watch in about 15 years. I think I spent $2K+ back then and really appreciated the watch. I have few indulgences (cars & some electronics) where I can get myself to "blow the dough"! My SIL is really into these fancy watches (which he hopes to have one day) and is excited about helping me shop for one. He has done a ton of research on the various brands and is pitching me on it "being an investment". Investment aside, some of these watches are $25K - $35K I am looking at. It sure feels expensive and my frugal gene is telling me "what a ridiculous purchase", yet I know this would have no affect on retirement success as I look for certain ways to BTD.

Any "watch-heads" out there? Should I BTD on such a purchase and tell my former frugal self to take a hike?!

This BTD stuff is hard man!:confused:

I have a few fancy watches. Hardly ever wear them. My Apple watch is way more useful.

They are *not* an investment. They're not scarce. More are made everyday. And the price difference between buying a new watch and selling a used one?

Oh yeah. If you have saved long enough and hard enough to be able to BTD, it is surprisingly hard to do. But if a fancy watch will make smile every time you look at it, why not?

-- Doug

Apple Watch Series 3, $169, Walmart.

If you really want to splurge, get Series 6 for $399.

I don't understand the concept of getting pleasure out of material things.

Functionality I understand. But that's me - what matters is what's important to you.

Back
Top Bottom