Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2019, 07:10 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
I haven't ever been fond of exercise- I have been a runner in the past, but now live where it isn't practical. I joined a Gym that is sort of on my way home from work as that's the only real time I have to do it thanks to the kids' schedules and my own. SO- I know how to use the cardio machines, and I plan to start with those. I'm not sure I've ever used the weight lifting stuff, but after reading Younger Next Year, I get that I need to. So here are the questions:

All I own or have ever owned (in athletic shoes) are running shoes. Is that fine or do I need "trainers" whatever that means. If I do need something different- tell me what I'm looking for please.

There are a million machines in there. They assured me they'd show me how to use them properly, but how do I know WHICH ONES are important? Any website references would be great, because I'm confused. There are so MANY. How do you tell?

The goal here is to be fitter. Don't need to lose weight, and don't want to be noticeably more muscular. I like goals- what should my goals be- i.e., how do you track progress here, and what should I expect?

I think I want a heart rate monitor- got any recommendations?
I was also highly motivated after reading Younger Next year. I must admit however that after researching the authors a bit more and finding out that one of the authors passed away before age 60 (probably unrelated to exercise) it lowered my motivation. In my own family I have examples of extreme healthy longevity and generally the keys I see are daily walking at least a couple of miles at a good clip, healthy eating - no prepared - junk foods, a good social network and wine in moderation. I personally don't know any long lived (I'm talking 90 to 100 year olds here) gym devotees although I do know plenty of hikers and walkers knocking on 90+. If there are examples and guidance for late aged (say 90+) gym devotees would like to hear about that.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2019, 07:20 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
In my own family I have examples of extreme healthy longevity and generally the keys I see are daily walking at least a couple of miles at a good clip, healthy eating - no prepared - junk foods, a good social network and wine in moderation. I personally don't know any long lived (I'm talking 90 to 100 year olds here) gym devotees although I do know plenty of hikers and walkers knocking on 90+. If there are examples and guidance for late aged (say 90+) gym devotees would like to hear about that.
No one has ever died early from safe and moderate weight training. On the other hand, countless numbers of people have died early due to falls and injuries that result from weak muscles, ligaments, and bones that result from a lack of weight bearing exercise.

There is no known advantage to being weak.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:12 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
No one has ever died early from safe and moderate weight training. On the other hand, countless numbers of people have died early due to falls and injuries that result from weak muscles, ligaments, and bones that result from a lack of weight bearing exercise.

There is no known advantage to being weak.
Agreed, there is no known advantage to being weak but you are not answering my question. From your posts you seem to be a gym regular so you should be in a position to respond with some anecdotal examples of 90+ gym devotees and their experiences no?
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:20 PM   #124
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have been going to the gym from 730 am to 9 am every single morning and i feel healthy.

I do need to work on my diet. I lost 25 lbs on Jenny Craig but I discontinued it to try to replicate their diet plan on my own which is hard to do because the frozen meals in the supermarket are 290 to 400 calories where Jenny Craig are 200 to 300 calories plus their meals cost is twice as much. What a business model, they sell you less food for more money!

My BP is 118/82, I do not need any medication, my blood tests are all normal and my doctor told me that my health would be "excellent" if I just lose 20 more lbs or reach the ideal weight at age 67 for my height. However, it seems like losing the last 20 lbs is hard to do.

If anyone has some experience on how to reach their ideal weight, let me know.
vchan2177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:16 AM   #125

Quote:
I was also highly motivated after reading Younger Next year. I must admit however that after researching the authors a bit more and finding out that one of the authors passed away before age 60 (probably unrelated to exercise) it lowered my motivation. In my own family I have examples of extreme healthy longevity and generally the keys I see are daily walking at least a couple of miles at a good clip, healthy eating - no prepared - junk foods, a good social network and wine in moderation. I personally don't know any long lived (I'm talking 90 to 100 year olds here) gym devotees although I do know plenty of hikers and walkers knocking on 90+. If there are examples and guidance for late aged (say 90+) gym devotees would like to hear about that.
Harry Lodge died from prostate cancer. His co-author is still snow skiing at 84
Old 02-08-2019, 07:06 AM   #126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchan2177 View Post
I have been going to the gym from 730 am to 9 am every single morning and i feel healthy.

I do need to work on my diet. I lost 25 lbs on Jenny Craig but I discontinued it to try to replicate their diet plan on my own which is hard to do because the frozen meals in the supermarket are 290 to 400 calories where Jenny Craig are 200 to 300 calories plus their meals cost is twice as much. What a business model, they sell you less food for more money!

My BP is 118/82, I do not need any medication, my blood tests are all normal and my doctor told me that my health would be "excellent" if I just lose 20 more lbs or reach the ideal weight at age 67 for my height. However, it seems like losing the last 20 lbs is hard to do.

Someone on this board recommended myfitnesspal to us. DW and I used it to successfully meet our goal of dropping 50+ pounds apiece. Four years later we are still maintaining that weight.

The free version was all we used. I did need to buy a food scale. It's the most used item in the kitchen now. Volume is not accurate.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:28 AM   #127

Quote:
Agreed, there is no known advantage to being weak but you are not answering my question. From your posts you seem to be a gym regular so you should be in a position to respond with some anecdotal examples of 90+ gym devotees and their experiences no?
I do work out regularly but at home, so I don't have any idea of the normal gym demographics. However, I don't expect there are very many 90-year old gym members simply because most people of that age no longer drive.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:42 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
+1
I watched DW start at the gym after losing a bunch of weight. While she only lost an additional 8 pounds she dropped 4 sizes. We can shrink.

Agree. For me it's belt loops. Though some men can have the same waist size but just carry a bigger belly my body is different. If the key belt loop gets tight it's time to dial things up.

In regards to gaining muscle I haven't seen maybe a five pound change up total over the years. However with the newer workout I'm doing my tone is much better. At a certain point you're old enough that it's very hard to affect body mass
Old 02-08-2019, 07:58 AM   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchan2177 View Post

Keto diet and run 30-35 miles per week.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:03 AM   #130

Not especially important, but this thread has generated interest and interesting replies. Might it be better housed in the “Health and ER” forum?

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:28 AM   #131
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I do work out regularly but at home, so I don't have any idea of the normal gym demographics. However, I don't expect there are very many 90-year old gym members simply because most people of that age no longer drive.
I agree. I workout at the gym and nearly 99% of members drive to the gym. I am the only one in the morning that ride my bike. I am 67 but I have observed many in their 70 and 80 on the treadmill and socializing. The good thing about the gym is you can exercise regardless of the weather and during bad weather days I do drive. I used to go for a walk but going to the gym means I am exercising with other people. For example the gym has a hot tub and sauna and I meet some very interesting people. I do find walking after dinner to be a good thing but I do not do that as often as my gym workout. I do not conclude walking or going to the gym is any worst or better.
vchan2177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:13 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is it possible that I have gained 4-5 lbs of muscle in a month?
When I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I was 59 yo and weighed 215 lbs. Over the next 4 months I walked 3 miles per day and improved my diet and went down to 175 lbs. At that point, I started resistance training in the gym, consumed more protein, and over the next 6 months I gained weight and went up to 190 lbs. Looking in the mirror it was a significant muscle gain as I was beginning to look like a body builder and my strength also increased a lot. That said, I was lifting fairly heavy weights doing mostly compound lifts. Most women do not lift like that, and should not be concerned about becoming overly muscled.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I see a three guys who are all about 80. Two are former marines who could wear the same uniform as 30 years ago. The other gentleman is a retired coach and does unassisted dips and pullups.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Here are a few:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-champ.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8291521.html

https://generationiron.com/1952-mr-u...till-in-shape/

https://www.mensxp.com/health/body-b...giving-up.html

https://www.today.com/health/world-s...es-diet-t87956
Exrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:10 AM   #135

Quote:
I see a three guys who are all about 80. Two are former marines who could wear the same uniform as 30 years ago. The other gentleman is a retired coach and does unassisted dips and pullups.
One of my long term goals is to see how long I can continue doing unassisted chin-ups. I'm only 56 so there's still some time to go before they become difficult. I don't do dips as they're hard on my shoulders.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:24 AM   #136

Last update from OP. I'm really enjoying the gym! I can feel progress in my aerobic fitness level. I have more energy and I've gone from level 3 to level 7 on the elliptical and the finest test reading went from "poor" the first week to "excellent" yesterday. Its probably not excellent really. I'm clearly not in the same shape as others at my gym. I'm agog watching some of the things they can do.

I'm not very happy with my progress on weights but I guess it will come. I expected to be able to do more pushups pretty quickly and I still can't. And I'm still sore- nearly every day something different aches (a little, not usually a lot, though one day I was hobbling). Is this normal or will this go away eventually?

Everyone at the gym is very nice, and I enjoy chatting with them.
My trainer and I have finally figured out what I need to be doing- it turns out I don't like many of the machines and prefer compound exercises with weights- barbells mostly.

I have finally figured out how to get off of the chin/dip machine without clanking the weights and making everyone stop and look. And I have discovered I can't do cardio without tunes or I slack on my tempo. But that's fun too, I have a new heavy metal workout playlist...
Old 02-23-2019, 08:28 AM   #137
gone traveling

Quote:
Several retired guys in my gym are 76,78,80. People cannot believe their age in that they are in incredible shape. Working out being in shape is a huge commitment . These guys build their early morning workouts into their daily lifestyle rain or shine.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:34 AM   #138

Quote:
My trainer and I have finally figured out what I need to be doing- it turns out I don't like many of the machines and prefer compound exercises with weights- barbells mostly.

I have finally figured out how to get off of the chin/dip machine without clanking the weights and making everyone stop and look. And I have discovered I can't do cardio without tunes or I slack on my tempo. But that's fun too, I have a new heavy metal workout playlist...
Finding exercises that you like is the key...no one will stick with it very long if they don't like what they're doing. I also hate machines and the majority of my workouts are compound exercises with weights. You will accomplish more in less time because you're training multiple muscles at once.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:35 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

I go to the local Y and it seems to attract very old people .I am one of the youngsters at 72 .I am amazed at the people coming in walkers or even wheelchairs to work out .The swimming class gets out when I arrive and most of the members look in their eighties and a lot have canes .These people are my inspiration to keep moving .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #140

This was in 1951. As simple as it gets.